• The KillerFrogs

MBB: TCU vs. Georgia Tech - NIT Championship Game Thread

PurplFrawg

Administrator
nit_mens_2017.pdf

http://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/gametool/brackets/nit_mens_2017.pdf

I still wonder why a few want to downgrade just because it's not the "big dance". This is the most relevant accomplishment in our basketball history and yet someone wants to equate it to minor league home runs. It's not the national championship but it is a tournament championship in the oldest tourney around. Nobody knew we would even have the chance at the postseason and yet we go and win one of them. I understand if you're not basketball fans but to try and put an asterisk by it is ridiculous.

Rant over.

Ballard

I still wonder why a few want to downgrade just because it's not the "big dance". This is the most relevant accomplishment in our basketball history and yet someone wants to equate it to minor league home runs. It's not the national championship but it is a tournament championship in the oldest tourney around. Nobody knew we would even have the chance at the postseason and yet we go and win one of them. I understand if you're not basketball fans but to try and put an asterisk by it is ridiculous.

Rant over.
Agree. We had never even been to ANY final four in postseason play in the history of our program. I don't care what tourney it was...winning five knockout games in a row - and two on national television in MSG (regardless of attendance) - deserves to be celebrated.

And also - FWIW, I had a ton of non-TCU friends texting me last night about the game. It may not be the Dance, but if you get to the final four of the NIT, people take note.

MAcFroggy

Generally speaking, I do not watch or care about the NIT. With that said, winning the NIT is a great moment for our basketball program, and I watched every game. We have not been to the tournament in 20 years and have not won a game in the tournament in 30 years.

I was happy when TCU won the EV1.net Houston Bowl, the SDCCU Poinsettia Bowl, the Texas Bowl, etc. Those were good wins for our program at the time. This is equally big for the basketball program (if not bigger) than those games were for the football program.

Year 1 of Jamie Dixon is a success in every possible way. Lets hope we can build on this and make the tournament in the next year or two. Plus, looking at the faces of Parrish, Shepard, etc. you can not tell me this did not mean something to them. If it meant something to the team, it should mean something to the fans.