• The KillerFrogs

John Hollinger gets in a quick dig at TCU in his NBA Predictions

neo926

I doubt he's being completely serious in this, but I thought it was a little funny, and will no doubt rile some of you up since he referred to TCU as being a Dallas sports team.

The difference is that San Antonio played one of the league's most difficult schedules over the final quarter of the season, while Dallas' schedule looked like it was drawn up by TCU's football program. (You like that? Two Dallas sports insults in one sentence! P.S.: Roger Staubach was a ninny.)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/20...=PERDiem-100415

Someone with insider please go set this blathering imbecile straight! We've played OU, Clemson and UT on the road the last 3 years, OOC. He must be thinking of Texas Tech.

TheSheik

QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Apr 15 2010, 03:19 PM) [snapback]545205[/snapback]
Who is John Hollinger?

ESPN's NBA stat whiz, its a good thing he even knows who TCU is (even if he got the city wrong)

Trelvis

QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Apr 15 2010, 08:19 PM) [snapback]545205[/snapback]
Who is John Hollinger?

The most ignorant NBA writer in the country. Doesnt watch games, just goes by what his idiotic formula tells him. I would expect this type of bull[Deleted] from a guy like him. Nobody should take anything he says seriously.

nayr150

Apparently the internal ESPN memos are also now going out to the NBA writers asking them to put down non-bcs teams whenever possible.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
QUOTE(Trelvis @ Apr 15 2010, 03:36 PM) [snapback]545216[/snapback]
The most ignorant NBA writer in the country. Doesnt watch games, just goes by what his idiotic formula tells him. I would expect this type of bull[Deleted] from a guy like him. Nobody should take anything he says seriously.

His ratings are a piece of dog crap.

3RD DOWN 33

This guy is the biggest tool on espn.com.... he has hated the mavs for years its tough for him to admit that is stupid system means nothing. I think it is a safe bet that he has never watched TCU play, already sending him e-mails.

pcf

QUOTE(TheSheik @ Apr 15 2010, 03:39 PM) [snapback]545237[/snapback]
He doesnt hate the Mavs, his numbers hate the Mavs. He is just a statistician

He was a statistician til he started the smart mouth about TCU football. Now he's gonna be the statistic. He could have said something bad about my mother or my wife, but he got personal and went for my football team? Stoopid.

TheSheik

QUOTE(pcf @ Apr 15 2010, 06:56 PM) [snapback]545252[/snapback]
He was a statistician til he started the smart mouth about TCU football. Now he's gonna be the statistic. He could have said something bad about my mother or my wife, but he got personal and went for my football team? Stoopid.

Oh man, he really messed up, I bet you are gonna fire off a really nasty email to him huh?

TEUFELI

QUOTE(TheSheik @ Apr 15 2010, 04:39 PM) [snapback]545237[/snapback]
He doesnt hate the Mavs, his numbers hate the Mavs. He is just a statistician

Ah the Sheik...off as usual.

If you have followed his work through the years, he goes out of his way to rip the Mavs EVEN WHEN his "numbers" don't justify it.

Even in this article, he makes an excuse for going against the stats and numbers which show that in 41 of 41 playoff series, where the home team has won the season series...they have won all 41. Still...Spurs in SIX. I know this isnt necessarily reflective of his formula, but it is just the most recent example of his allowing his schicht and bias against the Mavs to be more important to his "predictions" rather than some kind of misguided noble adherence to his "numbers," as you seem to suggest.

But I see you have a cute little KFC argument going with some other participant, so carry on. Keep making friends.

TheSheik

QUOTE(TEUFELI @ Apr 15 2010, 07:41 PM) [snapback]545264[/snapback]
Ah the Sheik...off as usual.

If you have followed his work through the years, he goes out of his way to rip the Mavs EVEN WHEN his "numbers" don't justify it.

Even in this article, he makes an excuse for going against the stats and numbers which show that in 41 of 41 playoff series, where the home team has won the season series...they have won all 41. Still...Spurs in SIX. I know this isnt necessarily reflective of his formula, but it is just the most recent example of his allowing his schicht and bias against the Mavs to be more important to his "predictions" rather than some kind of misguided noble adherence to his "numbers," as you seem to suggest.

But I see you have a cute little KFC argument going with some other participant, so carry on. Keep making friends.

BWAHAHAHHAA, man are you this big of a titty baby in real life when people have differences of opinion with you? You still mad that Gary doesnt like to release injury information about his players to the general public? Sheesh, Im really sorry for hurting your feelings, I really am, lets be friends.

I would like to start out by saying that I am as big of a Mavs fan as they come, but heres what he says in his article:

(2) Dallas vs. (7) San Antonio
Season series: 3-1 Mavs.
Odds say: Spurs 74.5%; Mavs 24.5%

This is one of two matchups that really vexed me, because the statistical indicators basically collide with themselves.

Let's start at the top. In a previous piece on the Mavs that got Dallas fans stirred up, I mentioned I thought my Power Rankings had overrated San Antonio. Oops. As it turns out, they were remarkably prescient: San Antonio went on to crush one contender after another the rest of the way. (Lesson: Never try to make playoff predictions in early March. Not that making them in mid-April will turn out much better.)

Second, there's that whole 41-0 thing. Dallas won the season series with San Antonio 3-1, so the Spurs would be a glaring exception to the rule if I were to pick them.

I've been cynical about Dallas' contender status ("Really?" Mavs nation says, "You don't say?"), but the Mavs played much better over the final 10 days of the season and ended up with a respectable point differential over the final quarter of the season. The Mavs also are 23-7 since trading for Caron Butler and Brendan Haywood, which is superior to San Antonio's 20-11 mark in that time.

The difference is that San Antonio played one of the league's most difficult schedules over the final quarter of the season, while Dallas' schedule looked like it was drawn up by TCU's football program. (You like that? Two Dallas sports insults in one sentence! P.S.: Roger Staubach was a ninny.)

In all seriousness, Dallas played the league's second-easiest schedule over the final quarter. Of the Mavs' final 21 games, 12 were against lottery teams, two others were against the lottery-esque Bulls and one was against San Antonio's scrubs -- plus, 12 of the 21 games were at home. So only six of 21 were against playoff-caliber competition, and they lost four of those games (and two others).

Meanwhile, San Antonio faced a murderer's row over the final month. Eleven of the Spurs' final 17 opponents won 50 games, and two others (Memphis and Houston) were respectable, plus 10 of the 17 were on the road. In that time, the Spurs beat Cleveland, L.A., Orlando, Denver, Boston and Oklahoma City, and posted a better scoring margin against the brutal schedule than Dallas did against its parade of softies.

What I'm saying is that the records deceive -- by most advanced measures, San Antonio appears to be the better team. As for that little 41-0 thing? It comes into play only because the Spurs tanked the season finale in Dallas. Had they won, the season series would be 2-2 and I'd have no reason whatsoever to pick Dallas.

As noted, the last team to defy the 41-0 rule was the Spurs, who did it the last time they went into a series without home-court advantage in the first round. It looks like they'll do it again.

Pick: Spurs in six

If you want to think he hates the Mavs thats on you, I really dont care that much. I thought he made a bad extremely ignorant joke about TCU, thats all I said. I also dont think he hates the Mavs, you are free to think otherwise. No skin off my back.

Sorry man, Ill do my best to " make friends" from now on

pcf

QUOTE(TheSheik @ Apr 15 2010, 06:06 PM) [snapback]545253[/snapback]
Oh man, he really messed up, I bet you are gonna fire off a really nasty email to him huh?

I would, but I've got a little carpal tunnel bothering me and I left my thesaurus in the other room. If it wasn't for that, I would blast him.

gonzy

QUOTE(TheSheik @ Apr 15 2010, 07:59 PM) [snapback]545276[/snapback]
BWAHAHAHHAA, man are you this big of a titty baby in real life when people have differences of opinion with you? You still mad that Gary doesnt like to release injury information about his players to the general public? Sheesh, Im really sorry for hurting your feelings, I really am, lets be friends.

I would like to start out by saying that I am as big of a Mavs fan as they come, but heres what he says in his article:

(2) Dallas vs. (7) San Antonio
Season series: 3-1 Mavs.
Odds say: Spurs 74.5%; Mavs 24.5%

This is one of two matchups that really vexed me, because the statistical indicators basically collide with themselves.

Let's start at the top. In a previous piece on the Mavs that got Dallas fans stirred up, I mentioned I thought my Power Rankings had overrated San Antonio. Oops. As it turns out, they were remarkably prescient: San Antonio went on to crush one contender after another the rest of the way. (Lesson: Never try to make playoff predictions in early March. Not that making them in mid-April will turn out much better.)

Second, there's that whole 41-0 thing. Dallas won the season series with San Antonio 3-1, so the Spurs would be a glaring exception to the rule if I were to pick them.

I've been cynical about Dallas' contender status ("Really?" Mavs nation says, "You don't say?"), but the Mavs played much better over the final 10 days of the season and ended up with a respectable point differential over the final quarter of the season. The Mavs also are 23-7 since trading for Caron Butler and Brendan Haywood, which is superior to San Antonio's 20-11 mark in that time.

In all seriousness, Dallas played the league's second-easiest schedule over the final quarter. Of the Mavs' final 21 games, 12 were against lottery teams, two others were against the lottery-esque Bulls and one was against San Antonio's scrubs -- plus, 12 of the 21 games were at home. So only six of 21 were against playoff-caliber competition, and they lost four of those games (and two others).

Meanwhile, San Antonio faced a murderer's row over the final month. Eleven of the Spurs' final 17 opponents won 50 games, and two others (Memphis and Houston) were respectable, plus 10 of the 17 were on the road. In that time, the Spurs beat Cleveland, L.A., Orlando, Denver, Boston and Oklahoma City, and posted a better scoring margin against the brutal schedule than Dallas did against its parade of softies.

What I'm saying is that the records deceive -- by most advanced measures, San Antonio appears to be the better team. As for that little 41-0 thing? It comes into play only because the Spurs tanked the season finale in Dallas. Had they won, the season series would be 2-2 and I'd have no reason whatsoever to pick Dallas.

As noted, the last team to defy the 41-0 rule was the Spurs, who did it the last time they went into a series without home-court advantage in the first round. It looks like they'll do it again.

Pick: Spurs in six

If you want to think he hates the Mavs thats on you, I really dont care that much. I thought he made a bad extremely ignorant joke about TCU, thats all I said. I also dont think he hates the Mavs, you are free to think otherwise. No skin off my back.

Sorry man, Ill do my best to " make friends" from now on

he should have said, who drew up their schedule the people at boisie state.

Houston Frog

Hollinger was clearly taking a swipe just to take a swipe. He threw TCU's schedule in there for comedy's sake, just because he had gotten a bunch of emails from butt-hurt Mavs fans after an earlier column when he said their team wasn't the best, and he figured he would pile on another Metroplex team for the hell of it, just to prod them a little more (little did he know, TCU isn't in Dallas, so he came off looking ignorant).

If you were actually pissed about this, you don't know how to take a joke and are thin-skinned.