• The KillerFrogs

In Remembrance

jadailyTCU

I guess every program has its unsung hero's both private and public and TCU has more than its fair share of those dedicated fans. But sometimes we forget who's shoulders we stand on, those that create the inspiration long after they have gone so when the Frogs come down the tunnel running their finger along the words inscribed - "Fight 'em till hell freezes over then fight 'em on the ice" – I cant help but believe ole Dutch is smiling saying – "I told you so!"

We all thought hell would freeze over before Texas would acquiesce to letting us in the Big 12. Well, to steal a line from TopFrog, I'm pretty sure we've all got our skates ready.

AustFrog

Dr. Harold Dowler - DoC minister and TCU and Brite grad. He passed in 2010. Man how he would have loved the Rose Bowl and this week. Without him, I would not have become a Frog.

Ronnie Clinkscale - very much still with us, actually a Trustee that voted us in the Big XII (and a heralded Frog football player in the 50s), but he taught me in my first job about being a life long Frog.

oldfrog71

Here are mine.

Don ver Dein (probably didn't spell the name right, but its been 45 years). He was in the Religion dept., but convinced TCU to give a golf scholarship to a kid from a small town in West Texas. I could never have attended the school of my dreams if it hadn't been for that.

My Dad - he worked as a brakeman on a small, private railroad in that town but somehow came up with enough money for me to return to TCU in the fall for my sophomore year even though my scholarship had been jerked due to poor performance my freshman year. If I hadn't made the team, I would have had to transfer to some other school. He couldn't afford the cost for another semester.

Abe Martin/Tom Prouse - told me if I made the team the fall of my sophomore year I would get my scholarship back in the spring. I did, and they kept their word. I didn't have to worry about it after that, thank God.

May God bless these gentlemen who are all deceased now.

Boozer, you are great Frog.

Armadillo

This has to be one of the worst threads ever. Some of you need to get a grip. And separate sports from such things as life and death. I'm going to remember people based on the life the lived, not because of an invitation to the Big 12.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
This has to be one of the worst threads ever. Some of you need to get a grip. And separate sports from such things as life and death. I'm going to remember people based on the life the lived, not because of an invitation to the Big 12.

Good enough. We'll remember not to remember you. The point was to reflect on those past Horned Frogs who would be enjoying the events of the last week as much as we are. Sorry if you can't grasp that concept.

hindry

Lonta Hobbs....Lonta isn't dead. he was one of those yeoman frogs in the interstitual years between failure and success who did his duty to team and school. and did much to move us from mediocracy to glory.

perhaps he could have done something in the NFL, but frogs, under the radar at his time, could bring no eyes to his career.

we hired him, ran him into the ground, gave him a diploma and said see ya, as we focused on LT and other NFL prospects.

unfortunately, like many who come from deprivation and play for us rich white kids and our lily white school, and leave without connections, contacts or direction, he fell into predictable circumstances.

but Lonta did as much as any to further frogfootball and should be so recognized as one of our all time great runnning backs.

oldscribe

The Frogs I knew so well, some who prospered, some who suffered, but all were purple through and through, and made a Frog fan out of an old Longhorn.....starting with my old traveling buddy, Dutch Meyer, and right on through Abe and Allie and Marvin Lasater and Norm Bulaich and Johnny Swaim and (yes!) Frank Windegger and Elmer and Ross Bailey and Mazie Varley and Jim Garner and on and on.....Rif Ram to one and all! Glad to see TCU back among the top echelon!

FenwayFrog

All the past players that walked into the facility thinking "no way we are gonna be in full pads today"....only to find out we were and it was a 25 period practice. lol

C'mon Nalder blow that damn lightning alarm. 11 straight periods of middle drill?

myn

Dick Winder a family friend and my wife's neighbor while growing up in Craig, CO. Dick was instrumental in ramping up the QB
position at TCU and perhaps had a had in getting AD to the school, not sure though. He was a salt of the earth guy and has
been missed among those who knew him -- he left a mark at TCU in a very short period of time and am sure helped GP with his
wisdom which he would so often share.

Lonta Hobbs....Lonta isn't dead. he was one of those yeoman frogs in the interstitual years between failure and success who did his duty to team and school. and did much to move us from mediocracy to glory.

perhaps he could have done something in the NFL, but frogs, under the radar at his time, could bring no eyes to his career.

we hired him, ran him into the ground, gave him a diploma and said see ya, as we focused on LT and other NFL prospects.

unfortunately, like many who come from deprivation and play for us rich white kids and our lily white school, and leave without connections, contacts or direction, he fell into predictable circumstances.

but Lonta did as much as any to further frogfootball and should be so recognized as one of our all time great runnning backs.

I'll remember Lonta for one thing, and one thing only...

Asking my girlfriend (now wife) if she'd ever been with a black guy.

joejordan

ridiculous hyperbole

Froggy Style

Davey O'Brien, for sitting through games to the end in the bad years in his older days.

Jamie Dixon, for creating a ton of new fans (after the bad years) with one shot. His help getting us to the Big East forced the Big 12 to take us. Well played.