• The KillerFrogs

Implosion Date Set for TCU's Amon G. Carter Stadium

Trelvis

From TCU Media Relations: It took years to build TCU¹s Amon G. Carter Stadium but it will only take minutes for Austin Commercial, the general contractor in charge of the Stadium renovation, to implode the West grandstand of the stadium on Sunday, Dec. 5, at 8 a.m.

Austin Commercial determined that implosion would cut down on the level and length of noise associated with a typical ball and crane removal for this kind of structure. It is estimated that 98 percent of the debris will be recycled.

Austin Commercial and TCU will announce viewing locations for the implosion in the near future.

Work on the Stadium is set to begin shortly following the final home game Saturday at 3 p.m. versus San Diego State. The renovation is scheduled to be complete by the beginning of the 2012 season.

TCU announced in August that it had raised $105 million to renovate the west side and north end zone of the Stadium to better enhance football fans experience, upgrade amenities and transform the historic Fort Worth icon into the Camden Yards of collegiate football stadiums.

Austin Commercial has worked on numerous other TCU athletics projects including the John Justin Athletic Center and the Meyer-Martin Athletic Complex. Additionally, Austin was the general contractor overseeing construction of the TCU Campus Commons, the University Recreation Center and the Tucker Technology Center.

BABYFACE

Fundraising idea to CDC, sell raffle tickets to be the one to be to twist the plunger on the implosion. Donate the proceeds to the scholarship fund.

NubomTurk

Tier 1
At least TCU is letting everyone know ahead of time.

They didn't give any advance notice of the implosion at Darrel K. Royal Memorial Stadium this year.

Young and Horned

Okay, I saw the implosion was set for Dec. 5th. Guess I thought that was supposed to be right after our last game. But obviously there needs to be preparations for that to happen haha.

ShreveFrog

This sounds corny, but I don't think I can watch. I know we're going to build something great there. But to have been a fan for four decades+, sitting there and seeing all the struggles, and now seeing greatness restored on the field to our grand, ol' stadium ... then to see the house that Dutch, Abe, Davey, Sammy and Swink built all come down... I'm afraid I'd start boo-hooing.

Deep Purple

This sounds corny, but I don't think I can watch. I know we're going to build something great there. But to have been a fan for four decades+, sitting there and seeing all the struggles, and now seeing greatness restored on the field to our grand, ol' stadium ... then to see the house that Dutch, Abe, Davey, Sammy and Swink built all come down... I'm afraid I'd start boo-hooing.

Cheer up. It will still be the same field where Dutch, Abe, Davey, Sammy, and Swink all won their glories.

hometown frog

I'll be crying like a baby. It sucks to see the glorious old gal come down.

Frogs1983

I'll be crying like a baby. It sucks to see the glorious old gal come down.

My first game with my Dad was in 67 when I was 6.I have a lot of memories from games at ACG over the last 40 plus years.A lot of bad and a lot of good recently.
I am really looking forward to the facelift.It is long overdue IMO.

HG73

My thoughts exactly. I was 5 in 1956 when my Dad first took me. Thought it was the coolest place in the world.