• The KillerFrogs

I'm Warming Up To Briles

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
And look how 100% entirely wrong you were about his character. Zero chance you're wrong a second time right?
Evidently your selective memory deleted my grudging praise of Kaz after the sea-change in attitude and conditioning during last season, including crediting him with giving us the edge to be so effective.

Moose Stuff

Evidently your selective memory deleted my grudging praise of Kaz after the sea-change in attitude and conditioning during last season, including crediting him with giving us the edge to be so effective.
Yeah, I don't memorize every post on this board.

So like I said, you were 100% wrong about him. Just like you are about Kendall.

Moose Stuff

My usage of those troublesome big words was in reply to a dopey meme. Slightly more polite than the [ go darn yourself ] it deserved. Your attempt at sarcasm was as worthless as it was mistaken.

Seriously, if you want predictable, go look in a mirror.
I looked in the mirror and saw a guy who's on the right side of this argument which actullay WAS predictable. Keep the personal attacks coming. Old, petty, and bitter is a tremendous combo.

Wexahu

Never fired, never even suspended, immediately hired as an offensive coordinator at another school upon his departure from Baylor, hired as an OC at three other universities after that (and presumably vetted at each one), no rap sheet as far as his personal off-the-field conduct is concerned other than one rumored very harmless comment to a recruit .........I mean, at some point don't you have to start thinking to yourself, this guy might be alright and the grudge I'm holding against him might be a little unfair?

Meanwhile, you have a bunch of people on here rooting for Kavonte Turpin, a guy who assaulted his girlfriend, to score a TD every week. Personally I hope Turpin continues to do well, but aren't we talking about very selective outrage here?

TBH, I feel better about the overall culture of this program as it pertains to how the players conduct themselves off the field than I did 10 years ago. Take that for what its worth.

Eight

Sorry to divert back into actual football talk, but on another TCU sports podcast that I shall not name the term "empty calorie yards" was used for what TCU has been doing so far. I thought that was catchy and apt. We're four games in and you hope that the empty red zone trips can be dealt with; in theory there's still time, but typically an issue that a team has persistently through September isn't going to disappear come November. I think Chandler is looking good, if not incredible. The run game is solid so long as Emani Bailey stays healthy. The receivers are as advertised: a deep group with no single QJ-level standout that will nonetheless be collectively enough to outmatch most teams we play. The line has opened running lanes (eventually, after a tough first half vs. SMU) against so far middling-to-poor opponents; pass protection has been spottier but far from a disaster. Yardage numbers are Briles-esque and points have been scored so far in large enough quantities. So there's not much to whine about and overall I'd say it's working.

But... you hate to get down inside the 20 and come away with a donut. Texas, K-State and Oklahoma are likely to take that $*&! to the bank.

curious, how many times did tcu fail to score last week?

Paradoxotaur

My usage of those troublesome big words was in reply to a dopey meme. Slightly more polite than the [ go darn yourself ] it deserved. Your attempt at sarcasm was as worthless as it was mistaken.

Seriously, if you want predictable, go look in a mirror.
Sorry for the dopey meme. I was trying to be slightly more polite than the [ go darn yourself ] the post deserved.

Wexahu

The two drives resulting in TO on downs in the 2nd half were horrid imo, especially after the long interception return. Worst 4 down series I can recall in a long time.

View attachment 14954
Well, they aren't all going to be good drives.

I think you're grading him on a really weird curve. At the end of the day we had 4 TDs and 2 FGs on 9 drives. That's not bad at all. So you're saying they should have scored on 8 of 9 drives. Ok, but that's not being very realistic.

Limey Frog

curious, how many times did tcu fail to score last week?
The failed field goal fake and settling for the two field goals in the third quarter are the ones that come to mind. Not as bad as previous weeks, so we're definitely moving in the right direction. Also I can't recall without looking it up exactly where the ball was on those third quarter trips, maybe they were just outside the red zone. Obviously you're not every going to be 100% on touchdowns per end zone trips, but six points on three red zone trips (or at least deep plus territory) is a rate of return that is going to be a problem vs. the better teams on our schedule.

Last edited:

AroundWorldFrog

Well, they aren't all going to be good drives.

I think you're grading him on a really weird curve. At the end of the day we had 4 TDs and 2 FGs on 9 drives. That's not bad at all. So you're saying they should have scored on 8 of 9 drives. Ok, but that's not being very realistic.
Yea, starting in the RZ after a long interception and all the momentum in the world absolutely should result in 4 BS play calls and zero points. It should have been the nail in the coffin, instead it became a meme of ineptitude. The following drive wasn't much better and the game wasn't quite over at that point. 2 consecutive RZ trips with zero points. Yea, that's not great imo, but whatever.

We're in the lower echelon of teams in red zone scoring, same issues KB has had wherever he's been OC. Gotta be cleaned up if we're gonna be competing for titles.

hornedfrog86

I'd like to see more power options inside the 20, a fullback to help get 2 yards, etc. Even Riley learned to use the sneak. Yet, they are improving weekly.

Frawg

The Pepper-Hamilton Report is still privileged. The release of the details is evidently so horrific that they paid Warden Art several million to settle, rather than release the report to show cause for his firing. Yet, he still loudly proclaims his innocence and professes his religiosity as a bulwark for this innocence.

Due to the remarkably incurious nature of Law Enforcement in McLennan County, the State of Texas, and the Federal Department of Justice, we really don't know what happened. However, indirect evidence like the PH Report and it's careful guarding indicate that it may well have been worse than we surmise.

While our current employee may have had a minor role in this episode, it is now irrelevant. He was hired. He now has defenders, based solely on his potential to win football games. Shortcomings of character are rationalized away for this endorphin rush of winning. He and his reputation are now a part of the TCU tapestry, and nothing can be done to expunge it.
Becoming a family man can and has been an epiphany for many people I knew in college that were absolute pigs. Having children, especially daughters, make for the wildest reboots of social awareness and behavior. He isn’t the brash little female hygiene product anymore.

Last edited:

Wexahu

Yea, starting in the RZ after a long interception and all the momentum in the world absolutely should result in 4 BS play calls and zero points. It should have been the nail in the coffin, instead it became a meme of ineptitude. The following drive wasn't much better and the game wasn't quite over at that point. 2 consecutive RZ trips with zero points. Yea, that's not great imo, but whatever.

We're in the lower echelon of teams in red zone scoring, same issues KB has had wherever he's been OC. Gotta be cleaned up if we're gonna be competing for titles.
Lost our starting QB, the entire interior O-Line, the top two RBs, and top 3 WR's off last year's team. 5 NFL draft picks we had to replace on offense. And yet we are averaging over 500 yards and 40 ppg.

I know, no excuses, but this probably wasn't going to be the year to compete for a title no matter who was coaching. If we do, consider it gravy.

Frawg

Lost our starting QB, the entire interior O-Line, the top two RBs, and top 3 WR's off last year's team. 5 NFL draft picks we had to replace on offense. And yet we are averaging over 500 yards and 40 ppg.

I know, no excuses, but this probably wasn't going to be the year to compete for a title no matter who was coaching. If we do, consider it gravy.
Pretty remarkable. If they can teach Jo Jo to catch… He’s dropped 3 I can count that could have been huge gains if not scores. Wow.

Moose Stuff

Never fired, never even suspended, immediately hired as an offensive coordinator at another school upon his departure from Baylor, hired as an OC at three other universities after that (and presumably vetted at each one), no rap sheet as far as his personal off-the-field conduct is concerned other than one rumored very harmless comment to a recruit .........I mean, at some point don't you have to start thinking to yourself, this guy might be alright and the grudge I'm holding against him might be a little unfair?

Meanwhile, you have a bunch of people on here rooting for Kavonte Turpin, a guy who assaulted his girlfriend, to score a TD every week. Personally I hope Turpin continues to do well, but aren't we talking about very selective outrage here?

TBH, I feel better about the overall culture of this program as it pertains to how the players conduct themselves off the field than I did 10 years ago. Take that for what its worth.
Busch Beer GIF by Busch

Moose Stuff

The most constant thing I've encountered since we hired Kendall is how upset the people that still hold the grudge are when other TCU fans don't agree with them. That clown Parker is the poster boy.

Eight

Pretty remarkable. If they can teach Jo Jo to catch… He’s dropped 3 I can count that could have been huge gains if not scores. Wow.

they aren't going to have to teach him to catch very soon, he will be passed for reps

when you have 11-12 receivers vying for snaps there isn't a great deal of room for growing pains

Eight

still believe a big part of this is that when tcu gets in short yardage situations they can't knock people back

part is the interior line as wex pointed out and part is they don't have a true blocking tight end on the roster

if you can't run inside in the red zone there goes play action and going wide is tough as the secondary naturally lines up closer to the los