• The KillerFrogs

If not Dykes then what are the options?

Rifframbahzoo20

Is there a majority of opinion on why this thing went south? Don't think I've seen one
Karma for how we treated GP
Couple things…anytime a staff tells a QB not to run they are fools. Playing not to get injured is just like playing not to lose which all results in losing. Play to win and let the chips fall how they fall. If we are going to run this defense we need to straight up buy through NIL at least 4 NFL level down linemen who are unblockable. Without down linemen who can get pressure even with double teams it’s not going to work against big time offensive powers.

Sonny is a 0.500 coach. He is what he is and we are seeing it now that the buzz of the new has worn off. If he hadn’t been at SMU and beat our asses he never would have even been a candidate. He played his hand PERFECTLY and landed a giant payday. Welcome to the club TCU…the club of schools who sent a legend packing and got on the carousel of hiring and firing and paying multiple coaches at a time. This is our future. All thanks to Gary having a giant ego that got out of control and nobody on the inside - donor or admin - who could get him to turn over a new leaf. And decision makers who chose to jump on the carousel knowing the likelihood of what would come with replacing a legend. We got to a natty which was something I’ll never forget and certainly of huge value. But was it worth it? Honestly I’d rather have kept working on getting Gary to come around to NIL, Portal, etc by force and if not then let him quit on his own even if last year had been 6-5 and this year 7-4. We went high risk high reward and got the high reward last year but unfortunately the high risk is rearing its head this year and I don’t think it’s going away anytime soon. Sonny is what he is…
This. As much as it pains me to say it, TCU probably deserves this mess. No way K state would ever fire Snyder.

Everybody told me the one big damnable offense that GP committed that means that we could never have him again is that the team quit on him. TCU sure looked like they quit last weekend.

froginaustin

This. As much as it pains me to say it, TCU probably deserves this mess. No way K state would ever fire Snyder.

Everybody told me the one big damnable offense that GP committed that means that we could never have him again is that the team quit on him. TCU sure looked like they quit last weekend.

Any possibility that Snyder would grow into an epic fail? If he did, K-State might have forced him out.

HG73

Whatever. Regular season last year and Fiesta Bowl made firing Gary worth it. I’ll die on that hill. We don’t know yet whether we’ll have perpetual 5-7 seasons with Sonny but that’s clearly where we were headed.
I love GP full homo, but he had to go. Defensive stats became more important than winning the game, he had no clue about NIL or the transfer portal, he wouldn't upgrade assistant coaches and he really thought he couldn't be fired. Then the jackwagon had to go take a job at UT and throw the hookem sign all day.

He could have changed any one of the above grievances and probably done well enough to keep his job and retired to any position he wanted. Oh well.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
...he had no clue about NIL or the transfer portal, he wouldn't upgrade assistant coaches and he really thought he couldn't be fired. Then the jackwagon had to go take a job at UT and throw the hookem sign all day.

He could have changed any one of the above grievances and probably done well enough to keep his job and retired to any position he wanted. Oh well.
He hated the very idea of a Transfer Portal, which made a Coach like him (extremely demanding taskmaster) someone players would flee in droves. He had to change his methods to attempt to keep kids on the roster, something which he grumbled about openly: "It's like babysitting your Boss' kids..."

The problem was, there was no one who he respected that would sit him down and say, "Listen, dummy..." And hubris met nemesis.

I don't know where he is at present. I'd like to think he's off in East Africa sitting behind a Weatherby 400 looking at wildebeest through a scope, or dropping off a dive boat to check out the wall off the Tongue of the Ocean in the Bahamas. He's probably hanging around Albuquerque and the NMSU program dispensing wisdom and enjoying the fabulous food. Either way, I am hoping he is letting it all go and relaxing. He's earned it.

Toad Jones

I love GP full homo, but he had to go. Defensive stats became more important than winning the game, he had no clue about NIL or the transfer portal, he wouldn't upgrade assistant coaches and he really thought he couldn't be fired. Then the jackwagon had to go take a job at UT and throw the hookem sign all day.

They hinted he could have an office, title whatever, but Just couldn't poke his opinion into football. Gary knew that wouldn't work, so he just ignored the offer.

Toad Jones

He was a bit angry when that decision was made. His attitude Is much better, only b/c of time. Most likely, any person would be a bit betrayed if he walked in Gary's shoes at that time. Ask any owner, mgr, etc., when is the right time to address his or her services, and they will immediately say, the most difficult decision I had to make, especially if the services were consistently above average or better. No matter, it was time to move on and advance/progress in success.

Last edited:

Toad Jones

And that is what mystifies me. Were those people unwilling or was there literally nobody he respected?
Simply, most had made a decision and Gary would not have listened. I wouldn't spend much time on this as it is over, and it has been a subject that has not been frequently mentioned until now.

Quickly I want to say this, TCU, friends, and associates really respect Gary for what has accomplished and with dignity.

Sangria Wine

Simply, most had made a decision and Gary would not have listened. I wouldn't spend much time on this as it is over, and it has been a subject that has not been frequently mentioned until now.

Quickly I want to say this, TCU, friends, and associates really respect Gary for what has accomplished and with dignity.
I think it only matters now in the sense of how it dovetails into how they will or should deal with the apparent turmoil and lack of success in the program today. Consistency is typically what you’d expect, but hard to compare a 20 year guy and a 2nd year guy on totally equal footing. I’m glad I’m not the one dealing with it today…

hfhmilkman

Here is my take on the fire everything that moves thread. As fans we are results based. We see success or failure. Success means we glorify you as a deity and failure means we want to fire you. There are a lot of adjectives of this coach can't coach offense or this one can't play defense. When I watch games I am like every other fan in that boo failure and cheer success. If I am impartial I still only see the binary. I don't really know why one side succeeded and the other failed. Then the tape watchers put the plays on youtube and explain why.

I have a better idea with other teams why they are succeeding and failing. Coaches are putting in the write scheme or not. Other cases the players just don't execute. Because of the four year cycle, transferring and NIL, college football has come incredibly variable. It could be that Dykes stumbled into a good situation like Mel Tucker or Brady Hoke. If that is the case someone who really knows football should ask the question is it scheme, players not being developed, players not being identified, or is it just a bad hair year.

Firing Dykes prematurely just because of bad results may be just as bad if he does well somewhere else. Going on history he absolutely turned two programs around. I don't think anyone can consistently win at Cal. My limited evidence points to he should be given the standard 4 year cycle. This presumes no sudden collapse this year or next. If a coordinator is really not performing, part of being the coach is moving on. For example if someone can show cause that it really is the execution of the scheme and not the players, than hopefully Dykes makes the change. Falling the poop ball down hill, I will ask the question of the position coaches. Are players being developed. Which goes back to scouting. Are players coming in who don't fit and should never been recruited?

So, a lot more complicated than results based. If only it was so simple to exclaim "YOU FAILED!" "YOU STINK!" "YOUR FIRED!!!!"

stbrab

He hated the very idea of a Transfer Portal, which made a Coach like him (extremely demanding taskmaster) someone players would flee in droves. He had to change his methods to attempt to keep kids on the roster, something which he grumbled about openly: "It's like babysitting your Boss' kids..."

The problem was, there was no one who he respected that would sit him down and say, "Listen, dummy..." And hubris met nemesis.

I don't know where he is at present. I'd like to think he's off in East Africa sitting behind a Weatherby 400 looking at wildebeest through a scope, or dropping off a dive boat to check out the wall off the Tongue of the Ocean in the Bahamas. He's probably hanging around Albuquerque and the NMSU program dispensing wisdom and enjoying the fabulous food. Either way, I am hoping he is letting it all go and relaxing. He's earned it.
FYI, NMSU is in Las Cruces, but I get your point. I too hope he’s at peace.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
FYI, NMSU is in Las Cruces, but I get your point. I too hope he’s at peace.
Indeed. I placed out of geometry. Uh, geography...

The extra dopey part of this is, there was a good discussion of Great New Mexico food on KFC, and Las Cruces was very much noted for it's fabulous cuisine, and that Kill was going to a place where he will find some damned fine enchiladas!