• The KillerFrogs

Hurricane

Frog DJ

Fort Bend County got hit with as much water as anyone I thought? That's what I keep seeing on the news. Granted, that was Richmond mostly, but I thought Sugar Land got it bad.
Yeah Ron, we got a lot of rain, but we live in Riverstone where we're very well protected. There's a couple of man-made decorative reservoirs near us, but again, they're master-planned and feature excellent drainage.

The bayou into which run off drains is only about half full, so there's plenty of room for more rain water, but the same can't be said for the older residential sections of Fort Bend County, so I imagine it's different there.

With a high pressure cell to the northwest, and another due east - Harvey will probably park himself right where he is for the next couple of days, and anything can develop during that period of time.

Overall, I think the greater Houston metropolitan area has dodged the proverbial bullet - for now., but you've lived here long enough to know how unpredictable these storms can be.

After all, three days ago none the so-called "experts" were talking about a Category 4 storm, but...

I don't trust those same experts to tell me what's going to happen over the next three days!

Go Frogs!

jack the frog

I'm hoping that comment by the pro-tem mayor(?) was a bad try at a joke.

Definitely not a joke. As far as I know the Sharpie suggestion began from the Sherrif for those that refused to evacuate the Bolivar peninsula during Ike. The simple fact is that Galveston has a sea wall and the Bolivar did not. It was the difference. My dad actually had hired the Exxon chemist lost in Ike and mentioned in this story. A really smart nice lady that made a bad irreversible choice.

http://abc13.com/archive/6431754/

I am worried about my folks in Houston now but my brother is there with them and as Frog DJ said, they also live on a built up modern area that has a very efficient drainage "lake." They have had no issues so far.

Frog Wild

Ticket Exchange Pass
Honestly I'm gonna be so screwed by bad weather one day. I never believe the media when it comes to bad storms anymore especially when they start throwing around terms like devastation and horror and then show me nothing but a few downed trees and tiles off of roofs.

It's gonna bite me in the butt one day I'm sure.

Just ask the folks that stayed put for hurricane parties during Hurricane Camille.
Oh, that's right, you can't.

Frog DJ

Brewing is right! If you live near the Gulf coastline and see a Cat 4 coming your way, you'd better run!

If you saw an 18-wheeler bearing down on you at 70mph would you say, "Oh, I think I'll just ride it out"?

Go Frogs!

Ron Swanson

Honestly I'm gonna be so screwed by bad weather one day. I never believe the media when it comes to bad storms anymore especially when they start throwing around terms like devastation and horror and then show me nothing but a few downed trees and tiles off of roofs.

It's gonna bite me in the butt one day I'm sure.
Houston proper has gotten lucky so far. The experts weren't wrong, this storm has been huge and has poured down a TON of rain, but a lot of Houston has been right between the main body of the storm and the huge outer bands of rain.

GpmMjQz.png

I think that's about to change over night though and we are about to get it. Hopefully not too bad though.

Chongo94

Houston proper has gotten lucky so far. The experts weren't wrong, this storm has been huge and has poured down a TON of rain, but a lot of Houston has been right between the main body of the storm and the huge outer bands of rain.

GpmMjQz.png

I think that's about to change over night though and we are about to get it. Hopefully not too bad though.

I think you're right. Grew up going to Victoria all the time to see the grandparents and it seems like some of the worst hit down near there but still managed to slide in on areas that were not as built up and populated as Houston and Corpus. Stay safe and attempt to stay dry Ron!

Chongo94

To me you're acting like hurricanes are no big deal. That gets people killed, plain and simple. No offense.

No, just don't see the need to enforce my views on someone else regarding whether they want to stay and ride it out or leave. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to stay in their own home.

And it was more a post about my own issues with the media and it eventually catching up to me than anything else. None taken, just questioned the hostility is all.

Last edited:

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Here in Kyle, the radar yellow-orange rain bands just keep-a coming and the wind has been non-stop all day. Still getting gusts of 50+ mph and I guess it will keep up through tomorrow. Already 8 inches of rain. It's driving me crazy!

(I know, a short drive. Ha, ha)

Ron Swanson

Got absolutely destroyed in Braeswood (Medical Center-ish in Houston) for a little bit. We were lucky all day but it's pretty nuts now.

That's the area I'm buying my house in and moving into next week (although I'm guessing you're farther east based on your description, I'll be near Chimney Rock). The house I'm buying was built in 1958 and has never flooded, but I'm still slightly nervous about it. My sister lives over there now and she said it was scary tonight.

I'm in the Med Center at the hospital tonight. I've seen a ton of lightning out the windows and you can tell it's raining, but it's hard to tell how bad it is when you're in a building like this. I don't think we got it as bad as Meyerland did, but there's pretty bad flooding on 288/Macgregor and 288/Holly Hall.

Armadillo

No, just don't see the need to enforce my views on someone else regarding whether they want to stay and ride it out or leave. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to stay in their own home.

And it was more a post about my own issues with the media and it eventually catching up to me than anything else. None taken, just questioned the hostility is all.

I know what you meant Chongo. Don't worry about someone choosing to be a [ profanity ] and admonish you for no reason other than you sharing a harmless thought about weather.

I will say that the one Weather event that actually scares me is the tornado warning. It is almost always sudden and you can't just evacuate. Hate the tornado.