• The KillerFrogs

Herm Edwards interested in #TexasTech's David Gibbs for their DC job

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
What is so weird? He’s about the same age as Saban. Bowden was 82 when he was fired. If he sucks he sucks at any age. Or does everyone think he forgot everything about football? Would Gruden have been weird?

netty2424

What is so weird? He’s about the same age as Saban. Bowden was 82 when he was fired. If he sucks he sucks at any age. Or does everyone think he forgot everything about football? Would Gruden have been weird?
He's been out of coaching for 10 years. He wanted to keep the Phil Bennet.

Sebastian S

Gibbs actually did a great job, given the puzzle pieces he had to work with. I was very impressed. I thought they would be worse than awful.
I agree.

I thought their offense was supposed to be good, some saying the QB they had was better than Mahomes.

That or our defense was just that good... which confuses me because OU absolutely tore us up.

HFrog12

He hasn't been in college since 89 and was a DB coach, has never been a college head coach to my knowledge. The NFL game is drastically different than college and certainly the college he remembers 28 years ago. The minor details such as the hash marks being so different changes the way you call plays. If you just listen to some of his interviews after being hired there were many "what the" moments.

Personally I don't get the Gruden hype for some similar reasons as Herm. The difference is Gruden is much more of a public figure and would be a huge recruiting coup on name alone. He is also pretty key on the Xs and Os of the game, but for the same reason would have to adjust to the college game. Every time I see Herm on TV, which is minimal, he is commenting on some social aspect of the players. To me, Herm's recent career in television is simply a talking head for the NFL.

He could end up doing great but I think it is fair to say that Herm was a very weird hire.

Last edited:

Wexahu

He hasn't been in college since 89 and was a DB coach, has never been a college head coach to my knowledge. The NFL game is drastically different than college and certainly the college he remembers 28 years ago. The minor details such as the hash marks being so different changes the way you call plays. If you just listen to some of his interviews after being hired there was many "what the" moments.

Personally I don't get the Gruden hype for some similar reasons as Herm. The difference is Gruden is much more of a public figure and would be a huge recruiting coup on name alone. He is also pretty key on the Xs and Os of the game, but for the same reason would have to adjust to the college game. Every time I see Herm on TV, which is minimal, he is commenting on some social aspect of the players. To me, Herm's recent career in television is simply a talking head for the NFL.

He could end up doing great but I think it is fair to say that Herm was a very weird hire.

I've heard a couple of those interviews too, he sounded like a guy that was totally out of touch. If this isn't a colossal failure I would be surprised.