• The KillerFrogs

Herm Edwards interested in #TexasTech's David Gibbs for their DC job

TX_Krötenechse

Gibbs would be a good hire.

- Coached with Herm in the NFL
- Did a good job at Tech
- Contract is up this year
- Tech has the worst coordinator/assistant pay in the B12, one of the worst in all P5, so ASU can probably afford him
- Gibbs has family in Arizona

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
He's been out of coaching for 10 years. He wanted to keep the Phil Bennet.

Bennett also coached at TCU - twice.

John Gruden has been out at least 10 and teams have been after him for years.

Not saying Edwards is the best choice, just saying the gap in time won’t matter if he turns out to be good or bad.

netty2424

Bennett also coached at TCU - twice.

John Gruden has been out at least 10 and teams have been after him for years.

Not saying Edwards is the best choice, just saying the gap in time won’t matter if he turns out to be good or bad.
So when GP retires, Herm would be a good replacement?

And Phil Bennett coached at TCU twice, for two years total separated by 15 years. Sounds like he was just passing through both times or wasn't really valued to keep him around.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
So when GP retires, Herm would be a good replacement?

And Phil Bennett coached at TCU twice, for two years total separated by 15 years. Sounds like he was just passing through both times or wasn't really valued to keep him around.

Never said he was a great choice, just saying just because he has been gone for 10 years he probably hasn’t forgotten how to coach. He wasn’t a great coach at KC, so if he fails it’s probably because he isn’t good, not that he has been away so long. That’s all I was saying.

The point about Bennett was not his tenure, but that if Edwards was making a mistake with him, we did it too and then did it again.

netty2424

Never said he was a great choice, just saying just because he has been gone for 10 years he probably hasn’t forgotten how to coach. He wasn’t a great coach at KC, so if he fails it’s probably because he isn’t good, not that he has been away so long. That’s all I was saying.

The point about Bennett was not his tenure, but that if Edwards was making a mistake with him, we did it too and then did it again.
So he's not a great coach and been out of the game for 10 years, yet it's not a strange hire. Ok.

You do realize Bennett coached here in 1982 and 1997, right? Not even under Patterson's watch.

Weird defense for Herm and Bennett imo. I personally would be extremely disappointed if either of those guys ended up on TCU staff.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
So he's not a great coach and been out of the game for 10 years, yet it's not a strange hire. Ok.

You do realize Bennett coached here in 1982 and 1997, right? Not even under Patterson's watch.

Weird defense for Herm and Bennett imo. I personally would be extremely disappointed if either of those guys ended up on TCU staff.

Yes, I know when he was here. I remembered and didn’t have to go look it up and I never said GP hired him.

There were a lot of less than stellar hires at Ole Miss, Tennessee, etc. The only experienced guy with a track record left was another “old guy” in Les Miles.

Wexahu

He wasn’t a great coach at KC

Ultimately, this is probably what does him in more than anything. I just think he's a pretty lousy coach. He's kind of made a career out of portraying himself as a old-school tough guy motivator but i don't think there's a lot of substance there. Who knows, maybe he'll prove us all wrong.

netty2424

Yes, I know when he was here. I remembered and didn’t have to go look it up and I never said GP hired him.

There were a lot of less than stellar hires at Ole Miss, Tennessee, etc. The only experienced guy with a track record left was another “old guy” in Les Miles.
So comparing ASU's hire to a team who's lost 13 scholarships and no bowl games due to foul play, and probably the biggest social media mob mentality situation that turned out to actually be false are the benchmarks for Herms hire?

Okie dokie.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus

Their AD was Edwards agent.

Frankly I am surprised that the school president even signed off on that hire but he did and they doubled down by creating a new structure of the athletic department where the coach is more of a CEO and they said in his press conference that he wouldnt be as involved in the X's and o's as other coaches are.

I have to wonder exactly what the hell his job really is.

netty2424

Their AD was Edwards agent.

Frankly I am surprised that the school president even signed off on that hire but he did and they doubled down by creating a new structure of the athletic department where the coach is more of a CEO and they said in his press conference that he wouldnt be as involved in the X's and o's as other coaches are.

I have to wonder exactly what the hell his job really is.
Well that connection tells the tale then. I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere. Interesting strategy in Herms involvement. That'll either become s failed bit or a new trend. Guess we'll find out sooner than later.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Well that connection tells the tale then. I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere. Interesting strategy in Herms involvement. That'll either become s failed bit or a new trend. Guess we'll find out sooner than later.
I have followed this because a good friend of mine lives out there and his sons go to ASU.

Their AD was the NFL's VP of operation and prior to that was an agent. He had never been an employee of a university

Herm Edwards had only coached at a college for 2 years and that was 30 years ago. The rest of his coaching experience was in the NFL and as you heard, he hadn't coached in 10 years.

There are a ton of videos floating around about his hire but one is very telling about how out of touch he is.

While going through the football offices and meeting people, an equipment manager brings him an AS game jersey. "Is that a kids jersey?" "No coach, thats a game, jersey." Edwards then said, "I thought that was a little girls or kids jersey because it is so small." The manager told him that they are supposed to fit tightly and have a lot of stretch.

Edwards just said" hmmm". Thats a little thing but 99.9% of the fans know that jerseys now fit tightly. The players sure know it and you'd think that someone who was in broadcasting would have made that observation. But not 'ol Herm

This is going to be fun to watch

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
So comparing ASU's hire to a team who's lost 13 scholarships and no bowl games due to foul play, and probably the biggest social media mob mentality situation that turned out to actually be false are the benchmarks for Herms hire?

Okie dokie.
I wasn’t comparing anything. I merely said there weren’t a lot of great candidates left.

netty2424

I wasn’t comparing anything. I merely said there weren’t a lot of great candidates left.
I hear you. I thought your original question was something along the lines of why this was a strange hire or something like that. I've got no dog in the fight, I'd just be supremely disappointed if he ended up here.