• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

nwlafrog

My son was diagnosed with duchennes muscular dystrophy several years ago. He’s defied the odds and with a new physician in Houston instead of the original one we were assigned in Dallas by the MDA as well as faith and prayer, his diagnosis has now moved to Becker muscular dystrophy which is less lethal and he can live into his adulthood instead of his teen years.

This has been a major struggle for me emotionally and it brought me to my knees today. I’m so grateful for everything God has blessed me with.

I’ve become a much more humble person through all of this. I’m just…. Happy and emotional at the same time.

nwlafrog

Congrats, man!! Like you said. Little victories!! I think about Rhys often and keep him in my prayers. You’re an awesome Dad!!
Thank you so much for everything. Answering All of my questions and taking the time to talk to me through this part of life. Particularly the beginning when I’m sure I seemed off the rails because I had no idea what my future would be with my little boy. You’re the MVP on KillerFrogs in my book.

froginmn

Well, here's something: my love/hate relationship with brisket continues. I smoked a flat for my work team and I thought it was going to time out perfect for lunch.

Then it stalled at 185 and dropped to 183, where it stayed for over an hour. I need to keep practicing and obviously wrap it a lot tighter than I did. I dried out by waiting through that stall. Maybe should have just done a toothpick test when it stalled and called it done.

It was still pretty good... this photo was from my son reheating leftovers for dinner.

View attachment 14253
LOL I didn't mean to just post "ok"...

OK I had the same issue with a brisket flat today and looking for advice from @Frog-in-law1995 , maybe @tcumaniac , and anybody else who cooks brisket.

I have now had two flats that "stalled" at 185 degrees or so. Typically brisket stalls at much lower (160-ish) temps and you can get them through. I never had a first stall and after nearly two hours at 185 this latest brisket got to 188 and I did a toothpick test and called it good.

I'm thinking that I should do the toothpick test when it gets to 185 or maybe let it cook for another hour. Feels like 185 would be ok even though it's a lower temp than I want...

Any brisket experts out there who want to weigh in? I really want to do this for a football tailgate in MN in a month but timing is really a challenge, especially if I worry about that 185 stall and try to get it to 195.

This is on a Traeger pellet grill. I cooked a 4.5 pound brisket for about 9 hours because of that temp; feels like too long.

Last edited: