• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
View attachment 4447 Looking for dog names for a male pit bull.

Never thought of myself as a pit bull type of guy, but circumstances made me one today. As some of you know I had to put down my furry best bud this time last year and I haven’t had the desire to get another until today. I was looking towards adoption, but today at a gas station a man was giving away pit puppies because their mother has quit nursing and turned on them. He is 4 weeks, btw. I have a soft spot for dogs and thought, “well, why not?”

Anyway, at the moment the leading dog names are.... Diesel, Zeus, and Griffey.

B J

Just imagine standing outside yelling "BJ" every day. And some lucky days you might not be calling the dog.

talor

Typically only watch Olympic or World Cup kickball so I hadn’t seen it and googled it.

Unreal.

What a badass goal! And by someone with a man-bun makes it all the more “soccer”

Even more insane, and you had to see it live or watch multiple replays but the cross is actually deflected right off of Marcelo's foot making the goal even more unlikely and ridiculous.

I try to explain Champions league to the masses. It is the Super Bowl for the rest of the world. It is the sport at its highest level, even higher than the World Cup, because the best players are attracted to the highest paychecks of Europe's club teams (of which Champion's league is a tournament of the best ones). Some people say they never can get into soccer but have never watched elite level soccer. Similar to people who say they don't like hockey but have only ever attended a Houston Aeros game. I go to a watching party at an Irish pub and get [ Finebaum ]faced every year with foreigners and find it as enjoyable than the super bowl because it doesn't have commercials, just halftime. Done right with a few friends it's a super freaking fun day.

Dude was the best player in the English Premier League with Tottenham in his early 20s and then got bought by Real Madrid who already had Christiano Ronaldo. He hasn't played much this year for some reason so there are tons of rumors about him moving back to England this summer.

I'm telling you all of this bc I know you don't care.

Not sure if you are saying Bale hasn't been super relevant b/c of Ronaldo or not, but my view is that he has been consistently injured for the past two years or so.

Also lost in a lot of the chatter is the recent great play by Benzima. That goalie took a lot of flack, and for obvious reasons, but Benzima being able to poach that goal was an incredible gamble and play.

Last edited:

Purp

Even more insane, and you had to see it live or watch multiple replays but the cross is actually deflected right off of Marcelo's foot making the goal even more unlikely and ridiculous.

I try to explain Champions league to the masses. It is the Super Bowl for the rest of the world. It is the sport at its highest level, even higher than the World Cup, because the best players are attracted to the highest paychecks of Europe's club teams (of which Champion's league is a tournament of the best ones). Some people say they never can get into soccer but have never watched elite level soccer. Similar to people who say they don't like hockey but have only ever attended a Houston Aeros game. I go to a watching party at an Irish pub and get [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]faced every year with foreigners and find it as enjoyable than the super bowl because it doesn't have commercials, just halftime. Done right with a few friends it's a super freaking fun day.

Not sure if you are saying Bale hasn't been super relevant b/c of Ronaldo or not, but my view is that he has been consistently injured for the past two years or so.

Also lost in a lot of the chatter is the recent great play by Benzima. That goalie took a lot of flack, and for obvious reasons, but Benzima being able to poach that goal was an incredible gamble and play.
The other reason Champions League is a higher level than the WC is that these players play with their club teams year round, but only spend a handful of weeks each year with their national teams. Just like the NFL Pro Bowl teams aren't as good as the top teams in the league bc they don't have as much time to prepare and work together even though they may have more talent.

I was inarticulately saying that I was excited to see Ronaldo on one wing and Bale on the other wing, but it never really materialized the way I'd hoped. Now it looks like he's going to leave and I hope it's back to Tottenham.

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
Saw this posted on another site.

348kppi.jpg

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Just watched the first 2 episodes of Carriers at War on the Smithsonian channel. Really good - brought back memories of daily operations for me.
It follows USS George H.W. Bush (CVN-77) to the Gulf and shows parts of the ship I never got to - like the weapons magazine, things like UNREP and VERTREP, and flight deck management. I was ship's company on USS John C. Stennis (CVN-74), so the parts about the ship are more interesting to me than the aviator stuff!
Anyway, now that sports is over for a while, check this series out if it sounds interesting to you.