• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I’m contemplating a solo road trip for the holidays. New Orleans for Xmas, San Antonio for bowl, and maybe Fort Worth for NYE? Anybody done the long solos road trip before? Figure I could visit roadside restaurants and stops along the way...
I'm a big fan of long road trips alone. Lots of time to listen to good music, some deep thinking, having a beer or 8 at a bar in a different city hopefully chatting with locals.

But I love road trips in general. Have been on many with my family in past couple years.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
I’m contemplating a solo road trip for the holidays. New Orleans for Xmas, San Antonio for bowl, and maybe Fort Worth for NYE? Anybody done the long solos road trip before? Figure I could visit roadside restaurants and stops along the way...

If you want to make it a really special solo road trip, read "Blue Highways: A Journey into America" by William Least Heat-Moon.

"William Least Heat-Moon set out with little more than the need to put home behind him and a sense of curiosity about "those little towns that get on the map-if they get on at all-only because some cartographer has a blank space to fill: Remote, Oregon; Simplicity, Virginia; New Freedom, Pennsylvania; New Hope, Tennessee; Why, Arizona; Whynot, Mississippi." His adventures, his discoveries, and his recollections of the extraordinary people he encountered along the way amount to a revelation of the true American experience."

The book was first published in 1982. I read it and used his technique of only traveling on "blue highways" (e.g., two lane roads) on several long road trips to/from the Midwest (Texas to South Dakota) and to/from the west coast (South Dakota to California). Took a little longer than going the freeway route, but I had a blast. It was fun stopping in little towns, finding out where the locals ate, and going there for lunch/dinner. I met a lot of interesting folks along the way, had some epic comfort food meals, and found it to be a real stress-relieving experience.

SuperBarrFrog

If you want to make it a really special solo road trip, read "Blue Highways: A Journey into America" by William Least Heat-Moon.

"William Least Heat-Moon set out with little more than the need to put home behind him and a sense of curiosity about "those little towns that get on the map-if they get on at all-only because some cartographer has a blank space to fill: Remote, Oregon; Simplicity, Virginia; New Freedom, Pennsylvania; New Hope, Tennessee; Why, Arizona; Whynot, Mississippi." His adventures, his discoveries, and his recollections of the extraordinary people he encountered along the way amount to a revelation of the true American experience."

The book was first published in 1982. I read it and used his technique of only traveling on "blue highways" (e.g., two lane roads) on several long road trips to/from the Midwest (Texas to South Dakota) and to/from the west coast (South Dakota to California). Took a little longer than going the freeway route, but I had a blast. It was fun stopping in little towns, finding out where the locals ate, and going there for lunch/dinner. I met a lot of interesting folks along the way, had some epic comfort food meals, and found it to be a real stress-relieving experience.

Great advice.

Chico Dusty

Yeah man, do it. I’ve done a few and it’s very liberating. Do what you want, when you want without having to run it by anyone. It’s a simple concept, but can also be a profound revelation. And being on the open road there is a lot to explore and can find yourself in some interesting, fun situations. Or just see cool [ Finebaum ]e.

Love the solo trip...either air or car. Went to Clemson, Kinky, Arkansas, Peach Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl (at least attempted to) by myself. Met up with people I knew were going but 100% freedom over my schedule. Really disappointed we cancelled the H&H w/ tOSU bc I have a lot of family up there I haven't seen in 20 years. I figure I'll have to take the little one to these eventually but I'm looking forward to Pursue, Cal and any others in the near future.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Love the solo trip...either air or car. Went to Clemson, Kinky, Arkansas, Peach Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl (at least attempted to) by myself. Met up with people I knew were going but 100% freedom over my schedule. Really disappointed we cancelled the H&H w/ tOSU bc I have a lot of family up there I haven't seen in 20 years. I figure I'll have to take the little one to these eventually but I'm looking forward to Pursue, Cal and any others in the near future.
Kinky? Pursue? You need an iPhone.;)

Tom Brown

Yeah man, do it. I’ve done a few and it’s very liberating. Do what you want, when you want without having to run it by anyone. It’s a simple concept, but can also be a profound revelation. And being on the open road there is a lot to explore and can find yourself in some interesting, fun situations. Or just see cool [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]e.

The road trip playlist is a work of art.

Frog-in-law1995

The official TCU bowl game travel package from Anthony travel comes in at just a hair under $1200 for two people. Basically for 2 nights at either the Hyatt Regency or the Grand Hyatt, plus admission to the “official” TCU alumni tailgate. Does NOT include transportation to San Antonio or game tickets.

Is there any part of college football that isn’t just a complete scheissing scam?

Tom Brown

The official TCU bowl game travel package from Anthony travel comes in at just a hair under $1200 for two people. Basically for 2 nights at either the Hyatt Regency or the Grand Hyatt, plus admission to the “official” TCU alumni tailgate. Does NOT include transportation to San Antonio or game tickets.

Is there any part of college football that isn’t just a complete [ darn ]ing scam?

Does it include admission to Ripley's?

You going to SA, ese?