• The KillerFrogs

Glad to see Shawn Robinson start for TCU

I trust the coaches to play the best QB as they see fit. Whether KH or SR I will support either and just want to win. I liked a lot of what SR did his runs were great and they had to account for the QB on zone reads which opened up the hand off to tail back game. Throwing deep backed up the safeties and helped the running game too. SR stretched the defense a lot kept them honest. Throwing into a 40 MPH wind is almost impossible try it sometime and see if you can hit a target it just sucks. I hope KH is okay, but if not I feel like we can win with SR now. If KH and SR are healthy then the coaches will decide who starts and who plays. If one or the other struggles I feel like they have confidence to bring in the other QB now to offer a change of pace.

texasrobster1997

Me defending Kenny hll versus crazy people. In what world am I living?

Agree with Ron said. encouraged in what I saw but think Kenny gives us the best shot to win right now
Watching the game again. I am definitely encouraged by SR. Balls were sailing on him but I suspect most of that was the wind. Echoing some other posters I don’t think one should look to hard at his stats for that game. Weird conditions. I hope KH gets healthy, but if we make it to Big 12 championship we should have a short leash on whoever starts.

ifrog

I trust the coaches to play the best QB as they see fit. Whether KH or SR I will support either and just want to win. I liked a lot of what SR did his runs were great and they had to account for the QB on zone reads which opened up the hand off to tail back game. Throwing deep backed up the safeties and helped the running game too. SR stretched the defense a lot kept them honest. Throwing into a 40 MPH wind is almost impossible try it sometime and see if you can hit a target it just sucks. I hope KH is okay, but if not I feel like we can win with SR now. If KH and SR are healthy then the coaches will decide who starts and who plays. If one or the other struggles I feel like they have confidence to bring in the other QB now to offer a change of pace.

Completely agree

Wexahu

I'd like to see Robinson play when the wind isn't blowing 40 mph.

Me too, but I'd also kind of like to see Hill play when our OC is willing to throw lots of deep passes like he was for the last 2.5 quarters on Saturday. I just think it would help open things up a bit and who knows, we might hit a couple. Maybe he's calling them and Hill just hasn't been willing to put the ball up, but I kind of doubt that.

jake102

Me too, but I'd also kind of like to see Hill play when our OC is willing to throw lots of deep passes like he was for the last 2.5 quarters on Saturday. I just think it would help open things up a bit and who knows, we might hit a couple. Maybe he's calling them and Hill just hasn't been willing to put the ball up, but I kind of doubt that.

I will have to re-watch, but it looked like Tech blitzed SR a ton. Teams haven't really been blitzing against Hill and instead are forcing him to throw underneath or hit tight windows.

Wexahu

I will have to re-watch, but it looked like Tech blitzed SR a ton. Teams haven't really been blitzing against Hill and instead are forcing him to throw underneath or hit tight windows.

You might be right, but there definitely seemed to be an element of “screw it, we’re just going to start throwing it long, not much else seems to be working”.

And blitzing like crazy usually would mean the QB would have to get rid of it quickly, wouldn’t it? I suppose it would depend on who’s doing the blitzing and how well it’s picked up.

TCUParker

Once again, this whole "opening the playbook" "dumbing it down for Kenny" "won't let Kenny throw downfield" narrative is just stupid. As GP has said, we've done a great job this season of scheming this offense to our strengths. Our strengths aren't firing it downfield for the hell of it, but instead just utilizing our running game and short passing/extension of the running game, and playing good defense. That's always been GP's recipe for success (although we used to just straight up run it a lot more instead of more of the quick/screen game), and it once again has us back in contention for a conference championship.

Uhh you're agreeing with me at the same time that you're calling me stupid. You're saying that GP's recipe for success has always been to scheme or plan to our strengths. Our strength with KH is not to throw down field. This is why you saw it in the play call with SR and not KH.

Reading comprehension skills are failing you bud.

TCURiggs

Uhh you're agreeing with me at the same time that you're calling me stupid. You're saying that GP's recipe for success has always been to scheme or plan to our strengths. Our strength with KH is not to throw down field. This is why you saw it in the play call with SR and not KH.

Reading comprehension skills are failing you bud.

I meant that no offense in the GP era has really thrown it downfield often. Even with all of the highlights from the Boykin/Doctson years, KH is actually averaging the same YPA as Boykin did in 2014, so it's not like we're just throwing screens and never throwing downfield.

I think 2015, where Tre and Josh were just out of control, really just spoiled some of our fans with this whole "deep ball" thing. We may never see another WR at TCU play the way Josh did, and Tre was pretty damn special as well. Anybody following them up last season was probably in for some unfair expectations, which I think we've seen play out. That year was an unbelievable.

We're also going to need to see a WR consistently show an ability to go up and make a play on deep balls before I'll be convinced that we should do that a whole lot more often. We haven't seen anyone show that kind of ability over the last two seasons, but hopefully that will be a different story next year with some new faces and more time for SR and the underclassmen to gel.

I also think there was more to what went into Shawn throwing it downfield on Saturday than that just being his "strength." Nobody knew what his strength would be in his first start, and having a huge arm doesn't just mean your strength is the deep ball. I'm betting a lot of those passes had to do with talks during the week of finding his guy in man coverage and turning it loose when they were bringing pressure, as I'm sure his playbook and ability to make calls/audible was minimal. They didn't want him thinking too much, I'm sure. Not only that, but Tech's weakness is their secondary.

Pharm Frog

Teams have been blitzing the hell out of the Frogs, especially on third downs. Remember the "why do we go empty when we know it's coming" running commentary. Can't say what happened in Norman because wasn't watching but we've been subjected to a lot of blitzing. That's one reason why our screen game worked well for a while. Haven't seen much of it lately.

PO Frog

I meant that no offense in the GP era has really thrown it downfield often. Even with all of the highlights from the Boykin/Doctson years, KH is actually averaging the same YPA as Boykin did in 2014, so it's not like we're just throwing screens and never throwing downfield.

I think 2015, where Tre and Josh were just out of control, really just spoiled some of our fans with this whole "deep ball" thing. We may never see another WR at TCU play the way Josh did, and Tre was pretty damn special as well. Anybody following them up last season was probably in for some unfair expectations, which I think we've seen play out. That year was an unbelievable.

We're also going to need to see a WR consistently show an ability to go up and make a play on deep balls before I'll be convinced that we should do that a whole lot more often. We haven't seen anyone show that kind of ability over the last two seasons, but hopefully that will be a different story next year with some new faces and more time for SR and the underclassmen to gel.

I also think there was more to what went into Shawn throwing it downfield on Saturday than that just being his "strength." Nobody knew what his strength would be in his first start, and having a huge arm doesn't just mean your strength is the deep ball. I'm betting a lot of those passes had to do with talks during the week of finding his guy in man coverage and turning it loose when they were bringing pressure, as I'm sure his playbook and ability to make calls/audible was minimal. They didn't want him thinking too much, I'm sure. Not only that, but Tech's weakness is their secondary.

I think there was also an element of it being like a punt if it gets picked, so the risk is acceptable. As happy as everyone is that we were going downfield, our offense was awful for the quarter and a half that we tried it. The running game picked up late, as usual, because their D got tired (and Patrick Morris came in).
/ducks

Wexahu

I think there was also an element of it being like a punt if it gets picked, so the risk is acceptable. As happy as everyone is that we were going downfield, our offense was awful for the quarter and a half that we tried it. The running game picked up late, as usual, because their D got tired (and Patrick Morris came in).
/ducks

The offense was pretty much terrible the entire game, whether we were throwing deep or not. 289 total yards against Tech isn't good by any measure, even though it was very windy and there were some very time consuming drives so we were limited to 11 possessions.

I was just happy to see us take some shots.

jake102

/ducks

Find single coverage 50 yards downfield is a pretty safe play for a freshman. At worst it's a 50 yard punt. It's also a pretty low percentage play, but that's the way it goes.

W

Way of the Frog

Ok Bud.

SR showed me more promise yesterday than Hill did in 2 years. He is the future. The kid is a winner. He has a unique ability to sense pressure, a great arm, fast legs...but you wanna talk about a guy that blew the Iowa State game, can literally only make ONE read, and is the past.

Ok bud.

So exactly how does that unique ability to sense pressure translate to the fumbles on Saturday as a result of his failure to put the ball away when Tech defenders got near him a time or two?

I think he showed the tools and did some good things. Also needs some work which he will get in the future.

Tumbleweed

Hill will start. Shawn will see a lot of reps against Baylor. SR will improve once he has had time with the recvr's judging their speed and routes and so forth. Bigger upside with Shawn.

I'm looking forward to the Baylor game when they put harass rush on Hill, he immediately retreats and throws off the back foot, again. It's a little too late to adapt to some fundamentals of being a good qb.