• The KillerFrogs

General Bowl Games Conversation

netty2424

Seriously ridiculous Ole Miss “miss” kicker
rimshot GIF

Baylor 2021 won a national championship in basketball and a Big 12 championship in football along with a Sugar Bowl trophy and Top Ten finish. That is the top of the sports pyramid in my book, and it stings that Baylor accomplished this shortly after their scandal.

Realistically, that football accomplishment is now as good as TCU can hope for. I don’t see advancing to the college football playoff and then losing as being more (your season then ends in a stinging loss), and winning it is simply expecting too much for a smaller private school. So, Baylor has achieved the realistic greatest accomplishment in the big two sports in the same damn year. Too bad Oklahoma State coughed up that conference championship game.

Last edited:
When the college football playoff expands to eight or 12 and then likely 16, then seven, 11 or 15 teams will all finish their seasons with a downer loss. Baylor finishing as a Sugar Bowl winner in the Top Ten this year, or TCU finishing as a winner of the Peach Bowl and ranked #3 in the final AP poll will no longer be attainable.

College football was unique, in a good way, when there was no playoff or the preceding BCS Championship game. A playoff with the crowning of a definitive national champion was not needed. Celebratory bowl games and simply a final AP poll (and other polls) with its accompanying and subsequent room for fun debate is enough, and the college season then ends with more winners.

Last edited:

Wexahu

When the college football playoff expands to eight or 12 and then likely 16, then seven, 11 or 15 teams will all finish their seasons with a downer loss. Baylor finishing as a Sugar Bowl winner in the Top Ten this year, or TCU finishing as a winner of the Peach Bowl and ranked #3 in the final AP poll will no longer be attainable.

College football was unique, in a good way, when there was no playoff or the preceding BCS Championship game. A playoff with the crowning of a definitive national champion was not needed. Celebratory bowl games and simply a final AP poll (and other polls) with its accompanying and subsequent room for fun debate is enough, and the college season then ends with more winners.
In a 8 or 12 team playoff the national semifinals will feature 3 SEC teams (or maybe even four) a lot more often than people want. Then what will everyone be saying?

I agree, it was better before in many ways, one of which is what you mentioned. UCF has a national championship banner in their stadium (silly as it is). Everyone is saying Cincy was out of their league. Hell, even TCU fans can forever say we would’ve won it all 7 years ago and nobody can prove that wrong.

Last edited:

froginmn

One of the things I enjoy about the bowl setup is that I've been able to take vacations to Phoenix, LA, and Atlanta in conjunction with those events, and there is associated fun (events like the Rose Parade, cocktail hours, etc ). If your big "reward" for making the playoffs is a trip to Madison WI in December, I think it will be a lot less enjoyable...

PurpleBlood87

Baylor 2021 won a national championship in basketball and a Big 12 championship in football along with a Sugar Bowl trophy and Top Ten finish. That is the top of the sports pyramid in my book, and it stings that Baylor accomplished this shortly after their scandal.

Realistically, that football accomplishment is now as good as TCU can hope for. I don’t see advancing to the college football playoff and then losing as being more (your season then ends in a stinging loss), and winning it is simply expecting too much for a smaller private school. So, Baylor has achieved the realistic greatest accomplishment in the big two sports in the same damn year. Too bad Oklahoma State coughed up that conference championship game.

It's good. But it came across to athletic seasons.