• The KillerFrogs

Garrett Riley to Clemson

Frog45

Ticket Exchange Pass
Sounds like we are getting Kendal briles. OC for Arkansas. Surprised there isn’t a thread already
369c3fff829e63b7a281bf464b0a6093.jpg

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
7 pts. Please tell us about your relationship with Riley?
I’ve gotten to know him over the last year. I’m not a long time friend, just an acquaintance. But can tell you that he takes pride in his work like any good professional.

I’m really not trying to change your mind, just offer my perspective. If you’re going to judge his body of work using a game in which not one player or one division of the team performed well that’s your choice.

Is everyone going to Clemson?

Edit: If Riley is the kind of person you take him for you should be ecstatic over his departure

Make CFB Great Again

Ticket Exchange Pass
I’ve gotten to know him over the last year. I’m not a long time friend, just an acquaintance. But can tell you that he takes pride in his work like any good professional.

I’m really not trying to change your mind, just offer my perspective. If you’re going to judge his body of work using a game in which not one player or one division of the team performed well that’s your choice.

Edit: If Riley is the kind of person you take him for you should be ecstatic over his departure

I didn't really take his comment as mailing it in, but more of attention divided. I've put myself in Riley's shoes before and in retrospect I regretted doing so, which was a learning experience for me. It is extremely difficult to give the thing you're focused on the attention it requires when something on the horizon is in the works - I think it's just human nature for the excitement and curiosity of the new thing to creep up on you. Who knows, he may have handled it perfectly.

To be honest, I'm a little underwhelmed by a lot of what I've heard regarding the time between the Fiesta Bowl and the national championship regarding the coaches generally. Between entertaining recruits and entertaining new jobs, just doesn't seem ideal to me when that kind of carrot is out in front of you. If it was just a bowl game that would be one thing, but it was the national f'ing championship.

I don't know this to be true of the Georgia coaches and players, but from what I observed it appeared that every second of every day leading up to the national championship game was spent focused on how to demoralize us. 100 plus guys just singularly focused on executing a murder together. And they did.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Lol moving 5 times in 6 years is not required for career advancement. It’s greed or prestige driving his bus.

Not likely a notable (to him) monetary difference in OC pay at that level
What the hell do you know about it, lol? Greed? That’s laughable, man. How much is too much again?

I can tell you none of this took SD by surprise. It preceded the Fiesta Bowl

Also your assertion about his employment history is BS in so many ways

Attachments

• DEBEFB08-0DC0-4DAA-ACFE-9951D23823EF.jpeg
    DEBEFB08-0DC0-4DAA-ACFE-9951D23823EF.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

froginmn

giphy.webp

FrogBall09

Probably not a stretch to assume he had contact prior to the Fiesta Bowl. And that turned out ok.
If you think Riley mailed it in bc he knew he was moving on you don’t know him very well
If you guys don’t think going through the process to evaluate, negotiate and having basically accepted a new job doesn’t affect your ability and effectiveness to execute your old job - then you are either fooling yourself when you have left a job voluntarily or you have never been “recruited” away

There is even a Harvard Business Journal article that discusses how you can tell when a senior exec is planning on leaving their current role in the near future

dawg

Personally I think he stays as an OC in the NFL. The Jets are rumored to be interested and they are going to desperately need some to help with QB development.

I could be wrong and he ends up back in college but it would have to be a high profile OC position I would think.
Or an, "analyst," for Saban.
Alabama fans I work with would love Coach Bro after two years of “Brain Dead BoB” (their words). A stint as OC under Saben would “rehab him” for any college HC gig.

FrogBall09

I agree completely. Last I checked, he didn't have much to do with the defense. My guess (and that is what all the others are doing, is guessing) is that he was contacted by Clemson - thru his agent and he had the agent work on it until after the game. Doesn't take long to finalize a deal that the agent has been working on. Riley did a fine job for us, good luck to him. We will hire someone that Sonny thinks fits his idea of offense.
When you go 3 and out series after series or commit TOs because of bad play calling decisions - it has a lot to do with our D ability to respond…

We were most likely losing that game either way - but we didn’t have to get embarrassed more than any team ever in a bowl game in our biggest moment

And if you think Clemson didn’t talk to him before the NC and managed to not only do that, negotiate a final deal, call their board meeting for approval and have the meeting in less than 48 hours - then you are naive at best

It’s good for him he is leaving and we will replace him - hopefully with someone that has been there before given he was great this year at times but learned some hard lessons at TCUs expense

However - he should have told Clemson to wait until the game was over - if they really wanted him, they would have done it

bbell

When you go 3 and out series after series or commit TOs because of bad play calling decisions - it has a lot to do with our D ability to respond…

We were most likely losing that game either way - but we didn’t have to get embarrassed more than any team ever in a bowl game in our biggest moment

And if you think Clemson didn’t talk to him before the NC and managed to not only do that, negotiate a final deal, call their board meeting for approval and have the meeting in less than 48 hours - then you are naive at best

It’s good for him he is leaving and we will replace him - hopefully with someone that has been there before given he was great this year at times but learned some hard lessons at TCUs expense

However - he should have told Clemson to wait until the game was over - if they really wanted him, they would have done it
I feel like this is accurate and unfortunate for the university and especially the players. They deserve better.