• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Meet the guy who kept LT on the bench

Froginbedford

Broadcast sound was great...either there was a sideline mic in front of the band or the band was bigger (and therefore louder) or there were not enough fans to outshout the volume of the band....Anyway, you could hear the fight song when it was played....These days you might be able to hear the last few bars after a score....

MTfrog5

One of my high school base coaches worked in El Paso at the time of the Sun Bowl. He was on the Bowl committee but was with the USC team the entire week. He told everyone that would listen that TCU was going to win by the way USC acted in practice and the comments they would make about how many points they would win by.

Frog-in-law1995

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
You think that quote (hearsay, by the way) from a team whose 3-time MVP QB was in the middle of a sure-fire HOF career after being drafted out of Conference USA implies a belief that a player "can't be good?"

And by the way there was plenty of talk all over sports about LT not playing against decent competition at the time. I'm not saying I agree with it, just that that was the mantra by many at the time.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
That is not the same as saying a player can't be good because he played in the WAC.

First you say that wasn't the quote and it was. I don't know about you but there was a lot of talk that the WAC made it hard to evaluate how good he was. The smart ones like SD apparently did not, Heisman voters may have...

Frog-in-law1995

First you say that wasn't the quote and it was.

No, what I said was not the quote was when you said this:

And there it was, the verbal admission-"can't be good because he played in the WAC"...

I don't know about you but there was a lot of talk that the WAC made it hard to evaluate how good he was. The smart ones like SD apparently did not, Heisman voters may have...

This is what Mitchell's quote implies, not that he can't be good. And there's truth in that.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
No, what I said was not the quote was when you said this

This is what Mitchell's quote implies, not that he can't be good. And there's truth in that.
I'm not sure what your argument is, whether you dislike me paraphrasing or that you think something means something else.

All I was trying to say was that Mitchell said the coaches at GB didn't think he could evaluated well due to being from the WAC. And that there were many commentators at the time saying the same thing.

Zubaz

You think that quote (hearsay, by the way) from a team whose 3-time MVP QB was in the middle of a sure-fire HOF career after being drafted out of Conference USA implies a belief that a player "can't be good?"
Just a minor quibble: Favre never played in Conference USA. Conference USA wasn't created until 1995. Southern Miss was Independent before that, which was before there was that hard-line split between AQ / P5 / BCS vs Non-AQ / G5 / Mid Major.

Frog-in-law1995

Just a minor quibble: Favre never played in Conference USA. Conference USA wasn't created until 1995. Southern Miss was Independent before that, which was before there was that hard-line split between AQ / P5 / BCS vs Non-AQ / G5 / Mid Major.

Good point. But a player from So. Miss would've been in the same boat as LT vis-a-vis the knock on his competition.

ScottPatrick

FWIW thought this was a s good of place for this as any in case you don't know the story:

Recruiting of LT:

Source: NBCSports.com

By Jon Ackerman

Driving around in Who-knows-where, Alabama, Steve Brickey was lost.It was late, it was dark, and his cell phone was losing its bars — for reception and battery life.”If it dies or we get disconnected, give me about 10 minutes and I’ll call you back,” he told his caller.

After asking a passerby for directions to the nearest interstate, Brickey regains his train of thought. Though the phone holds its charge, it does lose its signal a couple times. Yet, as promised, Brickey returns the call.

After all, the topic of conversation was LaDainian Tomlinson. “I don’t ever get tired of talking good about that kid,” he says.

Forgive Brickey, the new offensive coordinator at Samford University in Birmingham, for referring to the 27-year-old Tomlinson as an adolescent. That’s just what Tomlinson was when he met Brickey.

He’s far from a child these days. The San Diego Charger leads the NFL in touchdowns and scoring, and is five yards from the lead in rushing. Last week, Tomlinson broke the record for touchdowns in a season (he has 29), and this week likely will break the record for points in a season (he has 174, needs 177).

Tomlinson earning MVP honors is as much of a debate as Tomlinson one day retiring the greatest NFL running back ever — both scenarios are plausible, but no one’s ready to anoint him just yet.

One thing’s for sure, though: LaDainian Tomlinson is the best running back to ever come out of Texas Christian University. That’s as safe as saying LT’s having a productive season.

However, the recruiting of him out of University High in Waco, Texas, wasn’t nearly as special as the player who left the school’s all-time leading rusher and scorer.

“He went to high school in what was my recruiting area,” says Brickey, the TCU quarterbacks coach from 1994-97 and the man responsible for signing Tomlinson. “I went and took a look at him and liked him and then started recruiting him.”

No “I went to see another guy, but this one stole the show” story? No “He looked about as soft as a Nerf ball, but there was something about him” tale?

“I had a couple people say there’s a pretty good back over there at that school, so I went by there and looked at him — and they were right,” Brickey says.

The first time Brickey made it by University High, Tomlinson wasn’t playing running back. He was playing guard — for the basketball team. Brickey saw one game of hoops, one tape of football, and was sold.

“The first tape I saw I think he scored five touchdowns. So I mean, it didn’t take long,” he says. “As a matter of fact, that’s the only tape I ever watched. When one’s that good, you don’t have to look long.”

From then on, the coach visited Tomlinson as often as NCAA rules would allow. After chatting up the kid before basketball practice, Brickey would drive up I-35 to the Dallas suburb of Garland, Texas, where LaDainian’s mother, Loreane, resided.

“You can’t see them on different days of the week (per NCAA rules). It has to be the same day of the week,” Brickey says. “So I think she appreciated that I’d make that drive all the way up there to see her the same day I’d see him. But again, I’m not saying that was anything special or magical. He was worth it.”

It didn’t take long for TCU head coach Pat Sullivan and others to agree. As soon as LT arrived in Fort Worth, every Horned Frog coach sought the fruits of Brickey’s labor.

“From the first day he got there, he was the best player on the team. The secondary coach wanted him, the linebackers coach wanted him, the receivers coach wanted him. We were having trouble covering kickoffs, so we put him on the kickoff team and he made every tackle,” Brickey says. “He was just a heck of a football player from Day One.”

However, Brickey and Sullivan weren’t around TCU long enough to reap Tomlinson’s benefits. Following a 1-10 season LT’s freshman year, Sullivan and Brickey, among others, were shown the door.

In came coach Dennis Franchione from New Mexico, one of the handful of other schools to offer Tomlinson a scholarship. Coach Fran may have lost the recruiting battle, but he turned around TCU’s program with LT anyway.

“So often you get guys with talent,” Franchione says. “But not only did he have talent, he had work ethic, he had drive, he had goals. Some guys set goals, but they don’t match their commitment and work ethic with those goals. And he did, he always did.”

Though Tomlinson’s sophomore season was spent much like his first — splitting carries with upperclassman Basil Mitchell — it was capped by a Sun Bowl victory over Southern California, 28-19. With the backfield to himself, Tomlinson led the nation in rushing the next two seasons as the Horned Frogs went 8-4 and 10-2, respectively. LT finished fourth in the 2000 Heisman voting.

Four and a half months later at the 2001 NFL Draft, Tomlinson was selected fifth overall by San Diego. He compiled 1,603 yards from scrimmage and 10 touchdowns his first season, but was runner-up to Chicago’s Anthony Thomas in Offensive Rookie of the Year voting.

Suffice it to say Tomlinson’s had a few more productive seasons since. Many thanks can be thrown to the man who saw what he needed to see on a basketball court.

Is he surprised to see what his prized recruit has become?

“No, not really,” Brickey says. “I suppose you never know for sure, but nothing that kid does surprises me.”

Frog-in-law1995

I'm not sure what your argument is, whether you dislike me paraphrasing or that you think something means something else.

All I was trying to say was that Mitchell said the coaches at GB didn't think he could evaluated well due to being from the WAC. And that there were many commentators at the time saying the same thing.

I agree that this is what they were saying. And I think that there's some validity in that concern. I thought you were saying that the GB coaches were indicating a commonly-held belief that being from the WAC meant a player was no good. Which obviously isn't true.

Zubaz

Good point. But a player from So. Miss would've been in the same boat as LT vis-a-vis the knock on his competition.
You might be surprised. In his Senior year, Favre played Mississippi State, Georgia, Virginia Tech, Auburn, and Alabama. Plus NC State in the bowl game. The year before they played Florida State, Miss State, Auburn, A&M, and Alabama.

Not being stuck on a non-AQ conference (and therefore having anywhere from 7-9 non-AQ games) gave you a lot more freedom to those teams to get really quality names on a schedule. It's a world that didn't exist by 1999 when LT was coming in to his own and the best we could do was 1 game against Northwestern or Arizona.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I agree that this is what they were saying. And I think that there's some validity in that concern. I thought you were saying that the GB coaches were indicating a commonly-held belief that being from the WAC meant a player was no good. Which obviously isn't true.

Okay, I think you are splitting hairs. GB apparently felt he wasn't good enough or they wouldn't have told Mitchell what they did and I think there was plenty of people that thought the WAC didn't measure up. Apparently Heisman voters did and maybe would vote differently now.

But to end this, you win.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I never get tired of watching the Sun Bowl game.

We were told how Claiborne was Superman, the fastest, strongest human alive and he would single-handedly demolish us, flying sideline to sideline, in our backfield sacking and pillaging.

Roll tape please.

Our defense was awesome that day as well. Bent a little, but didn't break and made the key plays when it really counted.

But yeah, before there was LT, there was Basil.

What a day.

Portland Frog

I wonder if the lack of wear and tear on LT's body his freshman and sophomore years actually helped him, related to the longevity of his NFL career.