• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Meet the guy who kept LT on the bench

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Basil%20Mitchell

FWST: Meet the guy who kept LT on the bench

BY BIG STEAMING PILE
tengel@star-telegram.com

It does not come up regularly but every now and then people will ask, and immediately assume.

“As the conversation goes on people ask me, ‘Were you a defensive back?’ ” he says.

No. Not a defensive back. Running back. At TCU. In the mid 1990s.

“You were a running back when LT was there?” they ask.

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article163727203.html

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
And there it was, the verbal admission-"can't be good because he played in the WAC"...

So much for judging on talent vs where they played.

Hypnoload

Good morning Muck.

A dozen people on this board know me personally... good try though. I'm not muck, I'm just educated and know the difference between business and writing fluffy fun TCU loving pieces which apparently is all you want from your local media

Bob Sugar

Hard to believe that two of CFB's best ever backs (LT and Ricky Williams) both started their careers as fullbacks because there was someone ahead of them on the tailback depth chart.

Limp Lizard

Just goes to show, it isn't the play, it's the execution. The wing T would work if executed as drawn up.
In my mind that is the most perfectly executed game by a TCU quarterback I have ever seen. I have seen better running days and better passing days and more spectacular days, but Batteaux did not make a mistake that day, at least to the naked eye. Maybe he audibled to the wrong play, but just watching I could not tell. He kept when he should have kept, pitched at the right time, threw the ball well enough to open receivers. Once avoided a penalty for delay in the red zone by calling time out.

If our QB's play with that kind of mental alertness, we will love the offense this year.

BABYFACE

Batteaux was such a great option QB. Always seemed to make a full speed beeline directly at defensive end, forcing him to commit.

Bateaux got to the edge so quick on the option(the point of reading to keep or pitch), and thus he put a lot of pressure on opposing defenses.

This is a great article by Engel. These are the articles that he writes once in a blue moon about TCU. I do encourage everyone to read this one to show more clicks happen on interesting articles instead of his regular back handed articles he consistently does about TCU.

Basil was a great TCU RB. He was the starter over LT because he worked his butt off for it and his production reflected his grind in practice. He is one heck of a nice person too. He was a great example/mentor to lead the way for LT. Both men are the people you want representing TCU and the NFL.