• The KillerFrogs

FWST: If you’ve ever been bullied, this TCU star has a message for you

Pharm Frog

Like the old saying, it is true. Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me. Unfortunately, sticks and stones have to be confronted, by kids and adults, at times, along with bats, chains, knives, and guns.

I do agree that if someone uses fists, stones, sticks, or any other mechanism of physical violence, you best be prepared to neutralize the assault up to and including beating the [ Finebaum ] out of them (and be prepared to face the consequences).

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
You cannot equate kids social behavior with adults. There is no one to protect a kid outside the home than the kid himself. Any other intervention is too late.
Kids social behavior is indeed far different. But don't you want kids to understand the mechanisms in real life? Or would you rather teach them one thing and have them find something different when they grow up?

In a kiddie version lesson, I can address Self Defense, aggression, self esteem, and the differences and similarities of verbal and physical violence. And best yet is I can address them in a manner that actually will translate to adult life as they grow.

I'm sorry you didn't feel very protected as a child. I think today's children have far more adults willing to help than you think. The key is for the kids to communicate the problem.

Frog DJ

I got into a schoolyard tussle in high school (Paschal), and my attacker smacked me pretty good on the jaw.

I simply said, "Did that make you feel good? If you want to you can hit me over here on the other jaw, too. Go ahead."

The guy just muttered to himself and walked away. One of my friends said, "Wow, you turned the other cheek - just like Jesus."

I responded, "I wasn't thinking about Jesus - I was thinking about the coach who's standing right over there watching the whole thing."

The principal (Mr. Berry) suspended him for three days...

Go Frogs!

Zubaz

The whole "pop a bully in the mouth" line of thinking is so so so so so stupid.

Here's the thing nobody talks about with bullies: There's a reason they feel like they can wield power over you. They usually do. Asking mini Rick Moranis to slap mini-Rock with his Whopper Jr hands is a good recipe to get his butt whipped twice as hard. If you're strong enough to beat a bully up, chances are you aren't getting bullied in the first place.

Besides, for kids that usually means they are bigger and stronger, but more generally it often means they are more popular or wield more influence (much like adults). The truth is, the bullies in schools that kids deal with are more often Zack Morris types than they are Scud Farkis. You punch Zack in the face and you know what happens? Not only doesn't it affect him, it pretty much ensures that you get bullied on a social level even more. Good job.

Jalen's approach is the right one: Neutralize the influence.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
The whole "pop a bully in the mouth" line of thinking is so so so so so stupid.

Here's the thing nobody talks about with bullies: There's a reason they feel like they can wield power over you. They usually do. Asking mini Rick Moranis to slap mini-Rock with his Whopper Jr hands is a good recipe to get his butt whipped twice as hard. If you're strong enough to beat a bully up, chances are you aren't getting bullied in the first place.

Besides, for kids that usually means they are bigger and stronger, but more generally it often means they are more popular or wield more influence (much like adults). The truth is, the bullies in schools that kids deal with are more often Zack Morris types than they are Scud Farkis. You punch Zack in the face and you know what happens? Not only doesn't it affect him, it pretty much ensures that you get bullied on a social level even more. Good job.

Jalen's approach is the right one: Neutralize the influence.
I don't agree. When I was in HS, I saw one of the larger seniors get his ass kicked right out in front of the gym by a smaller, incoming Freshman. No fight I've ever seen in a school has gone according to hoyle. Oftentimes, the winner was the kid who was far more pissed off, not the one with physical size. Plus, about 90% of all junior and regular high schoolers have no clue how to actually conduct yourself in a fight. Many kids who have been bullied get taught how to fight by caring (if not at times misguided) adults.

Moose Stuff

I don't agree. When I was in HS, I saw one of the larger seniors get his ass kicked right out in front of the gym by a smaller, incoming Freshman. No fight I've ever seen in a school has gone according to hoyle. Oftentimes, the winner was the kid who was far more pissed off, not the one with physical size. Plus, about 90% of all junior and regular high schoolers have no clue how to actually conduct yourself in a fight. Many kids who have been bullied get taught how to fight by caring (if not at times misguided) adults.

One of my daughter’s classmates who was maybe the littlest dude in the grade got sick of a bully and popped the little darner in the mouth. Never bothered him again. That was 7 years ago. If you ask the kid today he’ll tell you it was an absolute turning point in his life.

Zubaz

Yes, if you can win the fight chances are they will leave you alone (then again if you were that skilled you probably weren't getting picked on to start). But you better not miss.

And that's my point: Most can't win the fight, so telling Screech to go for it is a good recipe for disaster unless you can get some kickbacks from your pediatrician for referrals. There's a reason those bullies got to where they are.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
One of my daughter’s classmates who was maybe the littlest dude in the grade got sick of a bully and popped the little darner in the mouth. Never bothered him again. That was 7 years ago. If you ask the kid today he’ll tell you it was an absolute turning point in his life.
Because sometimes it's about more than winning or losing, or getting a black eye, amirite?

Ron Swanson

We had a bunch of “meet at Jackson Hill after school” prearranged fights at my high school, and I don’t think I correctly predicted the winner of a single fight... it was never the guy you thought it was gonna be.

P.S. Sounds like Bob was a bit of a nerd growing up.

TCUdirtbag

I’ve always wondered if Fisher had vision deficiencies. I’ve known two people with albinism and always understood that it affected your vision (retinal pigmentation) the same way it affected your skin (skin pigmentation). This article makes it sound like he doesn’t. If so, he is very lucky as I understand that is incredibly rare. So while I appreciate the many things he overcame, it’s important for people to know that most people with that condition have much more than aesthetic struggles—most are at least “legally” blind and couldn’t dream of a sport like basketball being their outlet to overcome.

Last edited:

Ron Swanson

I’ve always wondered if Fisher had vision deficiencies. I’ve known two people with albinism and always understood that it affected your vision (retinal pigmentation) the same way it affected your skin (skin pigmentation). This article makes it sound like he doesn’t. If so, he is very lucky as I understand that is incredibly rare. So while I appreciate the many things he overcame, it’s important for people to know that most people with that condition have much more than aesthetic struggles—most are at least “legally” blind and couldn’t dream of a sport like basketball being their outlet to overcome.

giphy.gif

TCUSA

Most bullies are cowards who use aggressiveness to bully kids without having to resort to fighting. Once they get punched in the mouth and figure out the free ride is over, they find an easier target. RARELY do they escalate and continue once you've shown you'll fight back.

Latest posts