• The KillerFrogs

FWST: If you’ve ever been bullied, this TCU star has a message for you

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Jalen%20Fisher%20interview%2023

If you’ve ever been bullied, this TCU star has a message for you

BY BIG STEAMING PILE
tengel@star-telegram.com

FORT WORTH – Jaylen Fisher was 5 or 6 when he realized he did not look like his friends, around the same time they figured it out, too.

The stares and looks turned to questions. Then the jokes started, only they weren’t funny.

“Where I came up from, you had to have thick skin,” he said. “It didn’t matter who you were. You were going to meet somebody mean. You had to take it. I just brushed it off. It’s nothing but words. Of course, words can hurt. But when you’ve been through and seen things, real life experiences, words can do nothing to you.

Read more aat http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/big-dteaming-pile/article193019549.html

Bob

Best advice to someone who is bullied. Look your bully right in the eye and kick him in the nuts. Then beat the ever loving crap out of him.

ftwfrog

Best advice to someone who is bullied. Look your bully right in the eye and kick him in the nuts. Then beat the ever loving crap out of him.

Not the best advice but you obviously didn’t read the article or what Jalen did and how he overcame being bullied.

The best advice is to show the bully that you will not give them the satisfaction of having control over you. You are in control of your emotions and your actions, not Mr Bully.

Jalen is one hell of a player and getting better with every game. I’m about to vomit a little, but that’s a good article by Steaming Pile.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Not the best advice but you obviously didn’t read the article or what Jalen did and how he overcame being bullied.

The best advice is to show the bully that you will not give them the satisfaction of having control over you. You are in control of your emotions and your actions, not Mr Bully.

Jalen is one hell of a player and getting better with every game. I’m about to vomit a little, but that’s a good article by Steaming Pile.
You're right. Muck did ok there. And Fish is a strong soul. Love that he is here this year and probably two more.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I've told my Godson that if he is hit by a bully, he should end the fight himself like this. But not without physical provocation. Then you're just flipping who the bully is.

Bob

No, I did not read Muck's article. But, I grew up in the '50s-'60s when getting through Junior and Senior high was survival of the fittest. Especially after the FWISD annexed Everman. And, the best way not to be bullied back then was to do as I suggested. You beat the crap out of the first one to bully you, and the rest generally leave you alone. Although, I admit this does not work out to well in the Fortune 100 business environment.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
No, I did not read Muck's article. But, I grew up in the '50s-'60s when getting through Junior and Senior high was survival of the fittest. Especially after the FWISD annexed Everman. And, the best way not to be bullied back then was to do as I suggested. You beat the crap out of the first one to bully you, and the rest generally leave you alone. Although, I admit this does not work out to well in the Fortune 100 business environment.
No, but it's a very good parallel to how prison works so at least kids will be prepared for that right?

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
In my opinion you teach the kids a junior version of how it works for adults in a scenario like this.

Let's say an adult says horrible things to me, pisses me off badly and I beat his ass. There are limited protections for "fighting words", but that's subjective thin ice and I will likely get charged with assault.

Someone hits me, I beat his ass, I'm generally protected.

Substitute jail for the principal's office and you've got a great microcosm.

Deep Purple

So you think nothing in human society has changed in that last 60-70 years?

Bob

In my opinion you teach the kids a junior version of how it works for adults in a scenario like this.

Let's say an adult says horrible things to me, pisses me off badly and I beat his ass. There are limited protections for "fighting words", but that's subjective thin ice and I will likely get charged with assault.

Someone hits me, I beat his ass, I'm generally protected.

Substitute jail for the principal's office and you've got a great microcosm.
You cannot equate kids social behavior with adults. There is no one to protect a kid outside the home than the kid himself. Any other intervention is too late.

Pharm Frog

Great lesson from Jalen.....there are mean people with bad intentions in everyone's life. And there are more in some people's life than in others. Unlike the rhyme suggests, words can hurt but how a person deals with them either elevates or diminishes their power.

“Where I came up from, you had to have thick skin,” he said. “It didn’t matter who you were. You were going to meet somebody mean. You had to take it. I just brushed it off. It’s nothing but words. Of course, words can hurt. But when you’ve been through and seen things, real life experiences, words can do nothing to you."

Bob

Great lesson from Jalen.....there are mean people with bad intentions in everyone's life. And there are more in some people's life than in others. Unlike the rhyme suggests, words can hurt but how a person deals with them either elevates or diminishes their power.

“Where I came up from, you had to have thick skin,” he said. “It didn’t matter who you were. You were going to meet somebody mean. You had to take it. I just brushed it off. It’s nothing but words. Of course, words can hurt. But when you’ve been through and seen things, real life experiences, words can do nothing to you."
Like the old saying, it is true. Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me. Unfortunately, sticks and stones have to be confronted, by kids and adults, at times, along with bats, chains, knives, and guns.