• The KillerFrogs

Frog and Pony Show 2K23

froginmn

SMU finished the regular season in the top 25 for the first time since Reagan was in office and Madonna was belting out Like a Virgin.

In the meantime, in this century alone, we've finished in the top 10 eight times (including #2 twice), the top 25 several more, won conference championships in several conferences, won the Rose Bowl, Peach Bowl, Alamo Bowl in spectacular style, busted the BCS, and won a playoff game. We've beaten Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan (three of the top 6 winningest programs of all time), plus Oregon, USC, Clemson, Wisconsin, and many other top Power 5 programs during that stretch.

But yeah, SMU has passed us.
Wish I could like this more than once.

Read that list of accomplishments and tell me what schools you would trade resumes with over the last 15-20 years. Obviously would want a championship but damn.

Wish I could like this more than once.

Read that list of accomplishments and tell me what schools you would trade resumes with over the last 15-20 years. Obviously would want a championship but damn.
Our record is undervalued by the general fan, in my opinion. Here's the list of programs that have exceeded our overall record/accomplishments in the last 10-15 years. Hard to argue with any of these.

1. Alabama
  2. Georgia
  3. Ohio State
  4. Clemson
  5. LSU
  6. Florida State
  7. Oklahoma
  8. Oregon

Here are the teams that arguably have been in the same category as us. To be in this group is pretty impressive.

1. Notre Dame (two playoff appearances, more top 25 finishes than us)
  2. Washington (two playoff appearances now)
  3. Auburn (Yes, they won a championship, but like us, have had several valleys and have never made the playoffs)
  4. Texas (this is a little bit of a stretch, but they did play for the national championship in 2009 and found their way into the playoffs this year)
  5. USC (theirs is back-weighted to 10-15 years ago)
  6. Wisconsin (very consistent top 15 finisher until last few years)
It's not a stretch to say that we have been a top 10-12 program for the last 10-15 years.

OFrog

We've beaten Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan (three of the top 6 winningest programs of all time), plus Oregon, USC, Clemson, Wisconsin, and many other top Power 5 programs during that stretch.

In the last 15 years, SMU has beat two power-5 programs. Washington State and TCU. Bringing TCU down only serves to devalue their greatest accomplishment.

Limey Frog

Our record is undervalued by the general fan, in my opinion. Here's the list of programs that have exceeded our overall record/accomplishments in the last 10-15 years. Hard to argue with any of these.

1. Alabama
  2. Georgia
  3. Ohio State
  4. Clemson
  5. LSU
  6. Florida State
  7. Oklahoma
  8. Oregon

Here are the teams that arguably have been in the same category as us. To be in this group is pretty impressive.

3. Auburn (Yes, they won a championship, but like us, have had several valleys and have never made the playoffs)
  4. Texas (this is a little bit of a stretch, but they did play for the national championship in 2009 and found their way into the playoffs this year)
It's not a stretch to say that we have been a top 10-12 program for the last 10-15 years.
This is true. It's interesting that the one thing we have never done since joining the Big 12 is win somewhere between seven and ten games, we either win 10+, go around .500 or worse. We were hoping this year might be one in which Sonny & Co. started to raise the floor on what TCU looks like at the bottom of our development cycle, but alas... I wonder if we'er to small a program to have a higher floor.

Still, the ceiling is very high and I'd rather have the good years plus the bad ones than unpunctuated mediocrity. SMU hasn't even had the latter; not even close.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
SMU finished the regular season in the top 25 for the first time since Reagan was in office and Madonna was belting out Like a Virgin.

In the meantime, in this century alone, we've finished in the top 10 eight times (including #2 twice), the top 25 several more, won conference championships in several conferences, won the Rose Bowl, Peach Bowl, Alamo Bowl in spectacular style, busted the BCS, and won a playoff game. We've beaten Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan (three of the top 6 winningest programs of all time), plus Oregon, USC, Clemson, Wisconsin, and many other top Power 5 programs during that stretch.

Yeah, as stated above, this deserves way more than one "Like" from me. Thanks for concisely stating our case in such a definitive way.

Zubaz

1. Alabama
  2. Georgia
  3. Ohio State
  4. Clemson
  5. LSU
  6. Florida State
  7. Oklahoma
  8. Oregon

Oregon is the comparison, to me. They have the slight edge since they were in the Pac-12 the entire time, but we've both that sorta "new kid" school that has been consistently, occasional national title contenders, but never quite broken through to win the big one. I know we had that history in the 30's, but to 99.95% of the college football audience our relevance began sometime around 2000-2005. Plus we both get cool experimental stuff from Nike.

I'd add Utah to that second list as well. While they don't have the playoff berth to show for it, they won 2 BCS bowls (and that first one before they added the 5th game being all the more impressive), and have been sneaky good the last 10 years since joining the Pac, with multiple Rose Bowl berths.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

One caveat is that none of the OU teams were “up” at the time, but a win is a win

Limey Frog

ShreveFrog

Yawn. What legal grounds does FSU have to get out of the ACC deal they signed?
They don't like the money? Dominate the conference and make money in the expanded playoff.

FrogCop19

Yawn. What legal grounds does FSU have to get out of the ACC deal they signed?
They don't like the money? Dominate the conference and make money in the expanded playoff.
They're butthurt they didn't make the CFP, and probably rightfully so. Now they know how we felt in '14, although their butthurt probably beats ours because their undefeated season didn't work for them like it did last time.

82 Frog Fever

Ruh roh...

Yup, Dellenger had an article on it too.
FSU not wasting any time, it looks like they plan to file their 1st actions tomorrow that are required to leave the ACC.
Here we go again.

Limey Frog

FSU not wasting any time, it looks like they plan to file their 1st actions tomorrow that are required to leave the ACC.
Here we go again.

Yeah, Dellenger said they will vote to approve a legal action (against the ACC, presumably) that will be their first step toward leaving. Who knows what that means? At least we don't have to worry about this round; it'll be either neutral or good for the Big 12. We secured our status as the destination for the "best of the rest" programs in last year's death struggle with the Pac 12. If the ACC implodes I expect we pick up VT, Louisville, Pitt, and NC State or Duke. If nothing happens, we're in a good place anyway.

Hemingway

Here we go again.

“Any filing would, presumably, be made in a local court friendly to the school’s interests.”

Lol.

ShreveFrog

I'm not in the camp that wants ACC to break up. I think Big12 needs ACC to remain viable as our counterweight. Else the media and SEC and BiG will proclaim a P2 landscape. Yes, I know FSU will leave ACC at some point and maybe up to 3 others. Not sure it'll be anytime soon.

HG73

I'm for poaching a couple of teams when the ACC blows up. Nobody really adds value to the B1GSEC except possibly FSU & CLEM. But the SEC doesn't want/need them and the B1G has already overplayed their hand with the west coast teams. Travel expenses are going to eat them alive along with no natural rivals. The ACC may just have to stand pat for another decade or so.

UNC and UVA would be nice adds for the B1GSEC but only at a reduced payout like Washington and Oregon which will reduce them to second class citizens. That's the only 4 teams that are attractive to the B1GSEC. If that happens then we take NCSU and VT and the ACC becomes the new AAC and not a Power conference.

It will be interesting to see what FSU does this week to weasel out of the GOR. I'm not optimistic.

What Up Toad

I don't see that happening. The B1G will offer them a junior membership like Washington and Oregon before they let them go to the Big12.
But what if the Big 12 offers them a "senior" membership?

That's why they're leaving to begin with. They think they're worth more than an equal share.

Traveling Frog

If for some reason the BIG and SEC don’t offer a full share they will do one of two things. 1) go independent or 2) start a whole New conference with whatever private capital partner they have.