• The KillerFrogs

Fire Joe Gillespie

Traveling Frog

I’m sure Sonny understands this. He is making the decision that he thinks is best for the team, even if it is unpopular. His job at TCU will eventually live or die with the decision.

The truth is, Sonny probably wouldn’t be able to make this decision if this was UT or A&M. Some angry group of boosters would step in and force a change at the coordinator position. That’s the benefit of coaching at a place like TCU. You have the ability to make the decisions you think are right for the team, even if they are unpopular.

The results on the field these next couple seasons will tell us if Sonny has made the correct decision or not.
Correction - Not next couple seasons, next season period. Sonny can watch game film and know the last two seasons Gillespie defense is not schemed for power 5 success. If Gillespie somehow retains his job which you seem to know is happening, both him and Sonny start the season on the hot seat and are on the short leash. Fail early in the season and both jobs will be called for. Per Einstein, insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Thats where we will be with Sonny and Gillespie now that they are tied hand and hand.

Cfrog1985

Ticket Exchange Pass
I hope Sonny recognizes that if the howls to get rid of obviously ill-fitting coordinators aren’t met, they are replaced with a clamoring to ditch him.
Hate to tell you, but Briles is doing fine, especially with only three starters returning and a bad offensive line. Gillespie had seven returning starters, and probably did one of the worst coaching job in America.

Cfrog1985

Ticket Exchange Pass
Correction - Not next couple seasons, next season period. Sonny can watch game film and know the last two seasons Gillespie defense is not schemed for power 5 success. If Gillespie somehow retains his job which you seem to know is happening, both him and Sonny start the season on the hot seat and are on the short leash. Fail early in the season and both jobs will be called for. Per Einstein, insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Thats where we will be with Sonny and Gillespie now that they are tied hand and hand.
Yes, 100% of the Goodwill from 2022 is gone for Dykes. I can’t believe he is risking his career for such an awful coach.

Frogs1983

Of course.

The bottom line is whoever he would/will be replaced with will almost surely have warts on his resume. The very best candidates out there likely aren't coming to TCU, we can't pay as much as many schools. And even if we could, those top SEC/BIg 10 schools are going to be where the best guys want to be. So it's either going to be a retread who has had defenses that probably sucked at times (otherwise, why would he be available) or a young guy who is not proven at all. Switching coaches isn't some magic formula for success.
Why can't TCU pay as much as " many schools"? Is TCU a P5 Program in name only? If you want to play with the big boys, you have to pay like the big boys.

Patterson was hardly ever underpaid as TCU HC. Doubt Sonny headed West for chump change. Does TCU just pay top $ for HC's, but not put out competitive $ for top flight assistants? I've never heard this said before.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Why can't TCU pay as much as " many schools"? Is TCU a P5 Program in name only? If you want to play with the big boys, you have to pay like the big boys.

Patterson was hardly ever underpaid as TCU HC. Doubt Sonny headed West for chump change. Does TCU just pay top $ for HC's, but not put out competitive $ for top flight assistants? I've never heard this said before.
What makes you think we don't? Due to TCU's "private" status, we aren't subject to the same reporting rules that the Big State U's are, and thus have many arrangements that do not go public. Patterson was well paid, and his Assistants did well, too. I'm sure arrangements have been made which keep our current Assistants well paid even now, although one of them might have been a hard sell...

There is money here, yes. But, unlike A$M, who can laugh off a $79,000,000 payment, then pony up more for the Next Guy and his merry band of Assistants, we do not have an unlimited well from which to draw.

Frogs1983

What makes you think we don't? Due to TCU's "private" status, we aren't subject to the same reporting rules that the Big State U's are, and thus have many arrangements that do not go public. Patterson was well paid, and his Assistants did well, too. I'm sure arrangements have been made which keep our current Assistants well paid even now, although one of them might have been a hard sell...

There is money here, yes. But, unlike A$M, who can laugh off a $79,000,000 payment, then pony up more for the Next Guy and his merry band of Assistants, we do not have an unlimited well from which to draw.
I was asking a question from the comment made by a previous post. I would assume TCU could. The comment made was we possibly couldn't.