• The KillerFrogs

Fire Joe Gillespie

CountryFrog

We've given up 27 and 24 points in successive weeks. Those point totals should not get us beat. Not against ISU and WV this year. Defense is down the list of our problems.
In general 27 and 24 points isn't too bad. The problem is that those are two terrible offenses that scored those totals with very one dimensional attacks. If we were giving up 27 and 24 to Texas and Oklahoma then this would be a very different conversation.

The other problem is that this is coming on the back of what we saw last year. The defense looks no better to me right now than it was week 1 of 2022. Now if we actually start to see real improvement over these last 6 games then it's a different story. I'm just highly doubtful that will happen.

As far as other problems. I agree there are other problems but Briles is still only 6 games into his tenure. He's not going to get fired after one year. Could some other coaches be in danger? Possibly. We can all speculate what that list might look like.

Bizarro Frog

Suppose we fire Gillespie at year’s end. Do we stay committed to the 3-3-5, or do we change our system?

If we change the system, we might suck on defense again until we get the right personnel. A four man front will require some big portal and recruiting moves, as well as learning a new system.

If we stay with the 3-3-5, who are we going to get?
I think it works a few plays a game but imagine running a defense that can’t generate any penetration or pass rush without a blitz? Why not have 4 D lineman like every other good defense on planet Earth that can stop the run or rush the passer on its own? Basically you are substituting a D lineman for a safety for no reason because you have to blitz to get pressure. It’s like not having a tight end and then moving a WR to the line to block every play.

I actually like the 3-3-5 against all these spread teams. Gotta cover 5 receivers. You can confuse a QB by bringing extra pass rushers different ways.
In theory, you are right but that is not how JG sets up his scheme. Lots of teams base out of the 3-3-5 but go multiple and they are almost always bringing pressure from somewhere. We occasionally bring a LB from 7 yards off the LOS but otherwise rush 3 and try to keep things in front of the defenders. Even the average QB’s at this level will find open guys when they have as much time as we allow them in the pocket. Its just not working to ask the backend defenders to maintain coverage for as long as they are being required to do so.

Toad Jones

I actually like the 3-3-5 against all these spread teams. Gotta cover 5 receivers. You can confuse a QB by bringing extra pass rushers different ways.
I don't think it has confused any team, however it has confused the alumni and fans though. Any professional esp coaches are looking for something to get "looks" but you need the personnel first. That should have got the attention of the head coach before he committed to a style without the performers to do the job.*

I think the kids playing this defence just FLAT don't like it, and it's causing personnel motivation efforts for the team.

Not a swift move, Sonny!!*

Also remember the Baylor offence when it was churning out big numbers under young Biles. What the hell happened? Something ain't right in Germany. Bet a hundred Donati has already spoken to Dykes. What is so bad about this, is we were playing for a share of the national championship a few months ago and now this.

Last edited:

y2kFrog

In theory, you are right but that is not how JG sets up his scheme. Lots of teams base out of the 3-3-5 but go multiple and they are almost always bringing pressure from somewhere. We occasionally bring a LB from 7 yards off the LOS but otherwise rush 3 and try to keep things in front of the defenders. Even the average QB’s at this level will find open guys when they have as much time as we allow them in the pocket. Its just not working to ask the backend defenders to maintain coverage for as long as they are being required to do so.
This is the number one reason I want to move on from JG. I don't see this ever been successful on a consistent basis.

FloridaFrog76129

Suppose we fire Gillespie at year’s end. Do we stay committed to the 3-3-5, or do we change our system?

If we change the system, we might suck on defense again until we get the right personnel. A four man front will require some big portal and recruiting moves, as well as learning a new system.

If we stay with the 3-3-5, who are we going to get?
Go to a 4-3…take a couple DL from portal at smaller schools and we are fine.

It’s not as big of a switch as people think. Have to go hard on portal with all the seniors leaving the team + other transferring out guys

Bruce Berry

I don't think it has confused any team, however it has confused the alumni and fans though. Any professional esp coaches are looking for something to get "looks" but you need the personnel first. That should have got the attention of the head coach before he committed to a style without the performers to do the job.*

I think the kids playing this defence just FLAT don't like it, and it's causing personnel motivation efforts for the team.

Not a swift move, Sonny!!*

Also remember the Baylor offence when it was churning out big numbers under young Biles. What the hell happened? Something ain't right in Germany. Bet a hundred Donati has already spoken to Dykes. What is so bad about this, is we were playing for a share of the national championship a few months ago and now this.

It has JG confused.