• The KillerFrogs

Experience The Nightmare of Exiting Lot #3

toad horny

We park in Lot 6, and frankly, getting into that lot at the UT game was a lot more difficult than getting out of it. Took us only 15 minutes to get out. Took more than an hour to get in.

The Fort Worth Police weren't a help at all, they were a major impediment. Even at light-controlled intersections where they overruled the lights by directing traffic personally, they held the traffic from every direction much too long (through 4-5 traffic light cycles) for cross-traffic or pedestrians. It should be no more than 2 cycles. As a result of these overlong traffic hold-ups, the Police caused the traffic from just about every direction to back-up and logjam much worse than if there were no police traffic control at all. They weren't the solution, they were part of the problem.

After one game last year, we decided that instead of exiting toward I-20 down Hulen, as we always do -- and as everybody else does, creating monster traffic jams at Hulen and I-20 -- we would instead exit down Granbury. By getting on the freeway there, we would avoid entering and contributing to the tremendous traffic logjam at I-20 and Hulen.

Alas, we didn't figure on the FWPD's idiotically conceived traffic-control strategy. They had blocked off the I-20 freeway entrance at Granbury and were directing all traffic down the access road right into -- you guessed it -- the monster traffic logjam at I-20 and Hulen, thus making the problem there worse than it would have otherwise been. Brilliant!

Obviously, I don't have a high opinion of FWPD traffic control after special events. Their strategy seems to be more intent on aggravating than alleviating traffic tie-ups.

I also park in lot 6 and live about 2 miles from campus. It took us 45 minutes to get into the lot and it normally takes 15. There was no rhyme or reason as to the traffic flow and they caused more problems than helped. On Stadium Drive alone (heading south from Park Hill), they had several intersections where they were “directing” traffic. Really all they were doing was creating pinch points. Usually they only direct traffic at the corner of Stadium right by the Alumni Center. Have no idea why they set up several other “road blocks” on Saturday as they had not done this previously all this year or last.

WIN

Maybe the traffic flow is controlled in case emergency vehicles need access to the neighborhood. This is the first year I can recall having officers at the corner of Boyd and Manchester.

Tom Brown

Maybe the traffic flow is controlled in case emergency vehicles need access to the neighborhood. This is the first year I can recall having officers at the corner of Boyd and Manchester.

Maybe they thought Boochele was gonna die too.

I like parking in lot 13 for this reason. It’s a walk after the game, don’t get me started on the shuttle after the game, but it’s not bad. I can get out of the lot in five minutes and to a freeway in ten. I like that.

lowfrog

I can remember when we had to walk to the games in the snow, uphill, only to get there and fight 5,000 people for 48,000 seats.

Had the same experience back in the 70s at a Texas-TCU game in ACS. Also had to fight our way in through the gate where the one security and ticket taker guy there actually had the temerity to ask to see our IDs before letting us in for free. We sat halfway up the east side at the 50-yard line and froze in our seats in the swirling winds as Texas beat the crap out of TCU 82 - 16. Bathrooms didn't work and you really couldn't call the concessions "concessions," there were no gear sales anywhere, no Frog alley, and zero tailgates. Go Frogs!

Frog DJ

Had the same experience back in the 70s at a Texas-TCU game in ACS. Also had to fight our way in through the gate where the one security and ticket taker guy there actually had the temerity to ask to see our IDs before letting us in for free. We sat halfway up the east side at the 50-yard line and froze in our seats in the swirling winds as Texas beat the crap out of TCU 82 - 16. Bathrooms didn't work and you really couldn't call the concessions "concessions," there were no gear sales anywhere, no Frog alley, and zero tailgates. Go Frogs!
Ah, it don't git no better'n that right there!

Go Frogs!

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
I much prefer parking for free on the East side of University behind the business school and enjoying my 15 minute walk through our beautiful campus versus sitting in my car and not moving for 2+ hours.

I'm with you sir.

Since I have a commuter pass I'm allowed to leave my car overnight in Lot 15. After the game it's a short stroll to the car, and I can get out and home quickly.

If I didn't have the pass I'd probably do the same as you and park on the East Side behind the business school as well.

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 10.36.58 AM.png

I was actually at that game. All I recall is the score

mc1502

I also park in lot 6 and live about 2 miles from campus. It took us 45 minutes to get into the lot and it normally takes 15. There was no rhyme or reason as to the traffic flow and they caused more problems than helped. On Stadium Drive alone (heading south from Park Hill), they had several intersections where they were “directing” traffic. Really all they were doing was creating pinch points. Usually they only direct traffic at the corner of Stadium right by the Alumni Center. Have no idea why they set up several other “road blocks” on Saturday as they had not done this previously all this year or last.

I'm also in lot 6. I came early (got there about 2:00) so entering the lot was cake. Leaving was a different story. I'll get crucified for saying this, but as I sat waiting to exit the lot, part of me was wishing that I had left in the middle of the 4th. I didn't get home that night until almost 11:00

AustinFrog

Getting into the Garage is not always easy, getting out even worse. I arrive about 2.5-3 hours before the game. I like Frog Walk, plus I commute from San Marcos. The street level is always almost full when I arrive. Its full of game worker cars. Those spaces should be for PAYING fans. workers should be on the top level.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
This is exactly why we park in the Westcliff neighborhood, and walk the extra distance.

We simply get in the car and drive away...

Go Frogs!

Or park in the old Monnings lot by Walgreens, catch the shuttle to ACS a block away then plan to walk out, by time you reach your car you can easily escape east on Berry to 35 or south on McCart.

I was there, visiting for my one game a year to see my brother march in the HF band.
Miserable cold.

ShadowFrog

Moderators

Sounds like a coffee date between CDC and her honor Betsy Price could fix this.

Brog

Took us 45 minutes to get from Park Hill on Stadium Drive over to Cantey going to the game, about 4:45 PM. Seemed to be NO traffic control at all. For the first time, I had a pass to the "Ladainian Tomlinson Parking Garage," and by the time I got there, I was on the top deck. The garage has almost no directions on how to get out, so on leaving after the game we zigzagged around several times before finding the way to the ground level exit. Anybody wants to compare how long it took to get out of their parking lots with how long it took to get from the top level of the parking garage out to Cantey Street? Lots of "exit" signs up there, but they point toward the elevator and stairs, not the lanes heading downward. But hey, we beat Texas, didn't we?

Last edited:

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
The garage can be a disaster for the smaller crowds for basketball games as well. Learned that the hard way last year. We tailgate in lot 4 and use the back way to get to Highview. No need to get dragged into the lot 3 mess on Cantey. It works pretty well if you wait a little while after the initial onslaught. I think the FWPD does a decent job getting people moving on the North side of the stadium towards Colonial, where there are several escape options.

They have pissed me off on occasion. The last time we lost to UT (the rain delay game) I was circling back to pick up the rest of our family at Cantey and Stadium and just as I was about to turn right (like everyone else ahead of me was doing) and a FWPD cop puts a cone right in front of my car and says I need to turn around. Given the way the game went, I was not amused with his traffic control expertise. An argument ensued, I ended up blowing thru the cone and eventually I was given a ticket. However, it was later dismissed. WINNING!
Next time turn off your lights so your license plate isn’t illuminated and you won’t get a ticket.

Frog DJ

Or park in the old Monnings lot by Walgreens, catch the shuttle to ACS a block away then plan to walk out, by time you reach your car you can easily escape east on Berry to 35 or south on McCart.

I spent the first 12 years of my life at 2717 Mission Street, where Lubbock dead ends south of Berry, and my grandparents house was at 3123 Waits, just two lots south of Berry.

My friends and I used to play "two-below" football games on the old Monnig's parking lot after dark, because the lot was always completely empty and the lights stayed on all night.

We could walk or ride our bikes anywhere with absolutely no fear of predators, and we often had backyard sleepovers during which we would roam the neighborhood until sunup.

My, my, my - how times have changed...

Go Frogs!

82Frog

I was at that game too! . . .Seems like Texas was always kicking off to us. I was still in high school at the time.

COWTOWN FAN

I also park in lot 6 and try to get there 2 hours before game time to avoid this problem.I come in from the south on Stadium and the lights are of no help and officers just standing by the road. What are we paying them to do? Go Frogs.