• The KillerFrogs

ESPN Hemorrhaging

Deep Purple

Pharm Frog said:
Would you like a side of politics with your women's sports coverage?

https://twitter.com/espnW/status/822798498458435584

https://twitter.com/espnW/status/822813506797912064

Do their husbands know they're there?

PO Frog

Apparently they are just going to double down on what started their slide. Anyone see the promos for the 6 with Jemelle Hill and the other black guy? Woof. Side of SJW politicking with your lame sports commentary? No thanks

Can't believe they aren't smart enough to recognize that scores and highlights were their lifeblood.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
PO Frog said:
Apparently they are just going to double down on what started their slide. Anyone see the promos for the 6 with Jemelle Hill and the other black guy? Woof. Side of SJW politicking with your lame sports commentary? No thanks

Can't believe they aren't smart enough to recognize that scores and highlights were there lifeblood.

even the promos have me reaching for the mute button

frognutz

PO Frog said:

Can't believe they aren't smart enough to recognize that scores and highlights were there lifeblood.

Sounds like you may also probably not be interested in "Gender Revolution: A Journey With Katie Couric" Friday at 8 on National Geographic.  I understand it's a special encore presentation.

Travis Trucks

PO Frog said:

All they do is talk about race

Race baiting garbage

Zubaz

That's not what's causing their woes. I mean, it's probably not helping, but they could run 24/7 sports and their ratings would still be dropping. Much simpler than that: People are dropping cable because streaming is just as good.

Deep Purple

Todd D. said:
That's not what's causing their woes. I mean, it's probably not helping, but they could run 24/7 sports and their ratings would still be dropping. Much simpler than that: People are dropping cable because streaming is just as good.

I agree on the cause behind the drop in ratings.  I disagree that streaming is just as good.  It often lags behind real-time and the picture resolution suffers at times.  All depends on the bandwidth your ISP provides and, in many cases, how much traffic you're contending with.

Also, limited ability to record livestream broadcasts.  Huge negative for me.  Unless I'm at the game, I typically record it and watch it on delay to zap the commercial timeouts and the half time.  (Life is too short to watch commercials.)  By the time those are eliminated, I usually finish the game in real-time or very close to it.  Lets me reduce a 4-hour game broadcast to roughly 2-1/2 hours watching time.

Zubaz

Fair point, particularly for sports (most other content I'd say streaming is just as good). What I usually say is "I miss DirecTV, but I don't miss it $120 / month worth" if that makes sense.

Deep Purple

Todd D. said:
Fair point, particularly for sports (most other content I'd say streaming is just as good). What I usually say is "I miss DirecTV, but I don't miss it $120 / month worth" if that makes sense.

Good point on the difference between sports broadcasts and most others.  In fact, I'll admit sports broadcasts are the only ones I consider superior on cable/satellite.  For all other programs, I watch a lot more streaming.  You still get to skip the commercials and you can binge-watch if you want.

Also, as you point out, the price difference is substantial.  With streaming, you don't have to pay for a lot of channels/programs you never watch.

PO Frog

Todd D. said:
It works both ways. People are dropping their cable in part because they are sick of being inundated with politics in their sports, cable shows, national geographic programs, etc.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The advertising on ESPN is so ghastly and pervasive that it is unwatchable unless you make an effort to eliminate them, as Deep refers to above. Mrs. Brewingfrog and I have long enjoyed the ability to bank time and zap through the annoying advertising.

My only remaining TV wish is that I had the radio feed synced to the video. Last night, for example, not only was the time banking for commercial avoidance in operation, the mute was engaged to reduce the amount of stupid flooding out of the TV speakers.

Ugh...

TCUdirtbag

For all the loons who think the Big 12 is imploding and the PAC-12 can poach:
https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/829361162936528897

Wexahu

TCUdirtbag said:
For all the loons who think the Big 12 is imploding and the PAC-12 can poach:
https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/829361162936528897

The two conferences need to figure out a way to join forces on a TV/scheduling package that works for both.  Maybe form a Big 12/Pac 12 network or something.  With 22 teams you'd have to think there'd be enough decent programming and although the money would be split 22 ways, I'd have to think it'd be a pretty decent chunk of change if they'd get creative.  Mandate two cross-conference games for each team every year, that would eliminate a lot of the crap games Fox Sports1 and the other networks have to air every September.  

cheese83

The Big 10 & SEC deals are going to be awful for the providers in 3-5 years.

ESPN literally has a golden goose sitting in their lap w the CFP. Expand it ASAP. The new playoff is great but they're eliminating so many casual fans by eliminating their schools from the process. There should be 1 or 2 teams from each p5 conference in the playoff and it should be based on conference records not a group of panelists deciding who is more deserving.

This increases the drama as the season winds down and more teams still have "hope." That's what people care about, having a shot. I know Wex will argue it but the fact Penn State won the Big 10 and didn't get in the CFP probably made everyone in the Big 10 that's not an Ohio St fan not give a [ Finebaum ].

Or that OU won the big 12 and played a tough OOC but their season was pretty much over after that 2nd loss.

Just imagine if the NCAA basketball tournament was just a handful of teams and it was Kentucky, Duke, UNC, and Kansas every year.

They need to analyze the NCAA basketball, FBS, and NFL playoff models, then find a hybrid version of all three. Get rid of 1 or 2 OOC games to add for the extended season and do away with all these worthless bowl games.

But that makes too much sense and there's too many "relationships" that would be impacted.

Wexahu

cheese83 said:
The Big 10 & SEC deals are going to be awful for the providers in 3-5 years.

ESPN literally has a golden goose sitting in their lap w the CFP. Expand it ASAP. The new playoff is great but they're eliminating so many casual fans by eliminating their schools from the process. There should be 1 or 2 teams from each p5 conference in the playoff and it should be based on conference records not a group of panelists deciding who is more deserving.

This increases the drama as the season winds down and more teams still have "hope." That's what people care about, having a shot. I know Wex will argue it but the fact Penn State won the Big 10 and didn't get in the CFP probably made everyone in the Big 10 that's not an Ohio St fan not give a [Craig James].

Or that OU won the big 12 and played a tough OOC but their season was pretty much over after that 2nd loss.

Just imagine if the NCAA basketball tournament was just a handful of teams and it was Kentucky, Duke, UNC, and Kansas every year.

They need to analyze the NCAA basketball, FBS, and NFL playoff models, then find a hybrid version of all three. Get rid of 1 or 2 OOC games to add for the extended season and do away with all these worthless bowl games.

But that makes too much sense and there's too many "relationships" that would be impacted.

Yes, I will argue.  :)

- You can't have a system in which only conference games matter.  You just can't.  It will destroy September college football.
- Penn State "won" the Big 10, but in the day and age of 14 team conferences where you don't even play 3-4 teams in your conference and championships are won usually as the result of a tiebreaker in a game that is played on one team's home field, conference championships don't mean as much as they would otherwise.  At least they shouldn't mean as much.  People are just butthurt about Ohio State because they are so hated, I am 1000% convinced of that.  If Penn State's and OSU's resumes were turned around, everyone would be bitching had Penn State not made it.  EVERYONE.  Can you imagine the outrage if OSU got in as the only team with 2 losses?
- OU played a tough non-conference schedule.  Had they just won ONE of those games, they would have been in the playoff.  A tough non-conference schedule will give you a mulligan that other teams might not have.  But you don't get two mulligans.  It helps to WIN those games, not just play them.  Had OU won just one of those games they are easily in ahead of Washington.
- You can't compare basketball to football.  A 16 team basketball tournament can be completed in a week.  A 16-team football playoff takes 4 weeks, minimum. 
- Your last point I agree with!

Deep Purple said:

I agree on the cause behind the drop in ratings.  I disagree that streaming is just as good.  It often lags behind real-time and the picture resolution suffers at times.  All depends on the bandwidth your ISP provides and, in many cases, how much traffic you're contending with.

Also, limited ability to record livestream broadcasts.  Huge negative for me.  Unless I'm at the game, I typically record it and watch it on delay to zap the commercial timeouts and the half time.  (Life is too short to watch commercials.)  By the time those are eliminated, I usually finish the game in real-time or very close to it.  Lets me reduce a 4-hour game broadcast to roughly 2-1/2 hours watching time.

I have Playstation Vue through a Roku and Firestick and the feed is just as good.  Sometimes it's about a minute behind.  Sometimes about 30 seconds.  But overall it's not that bad.  You can record live broadcasts and it stays in your cloud for 28 days.  You can also watch them back on the Watch ESPN and FOX Sports Go apps.  Sure, some of the convenience of DTV is gone but I'm used to it by now and life is a little easier.

H

hiphopfroggy

Stock is up today, they will figure out how to maximize streaming revenue soon, the product quality is already pretty dang great imo.  

cheese83

Wexahu said:

Yes, I will argue.  :)

- You can't have a system in which only conference games matter.  You just can't.  It will destroy September college football.
- Penn State "won" the Big 10, but in the day and age of 14 team conferences where you don't even play 3-4 teams in your conference and championships are won usually as the result of a tiebreaker in a game that is played on one team's home field, conference championships don't mean as much as they would otherwise.  At least they shouldn't mean as much.  People are just butthurt about Ohio State because they are so hated, I am 1000% convinced of that.  If Penn State's and OSU's resumes were turned around, everyone would be [2314ing] had Penn State not made it.  EVERYONE.  Can you imagine the outrage if OSU got in as the only team with 2 losses?
- OU played a tough non-conference schedule.  Had they just won ONE of those games, they would have been in the playoff.  A tough non-conference schedule will give you a mulligan that other teams might not have.  But you don't get two mulligans.  It helps to WIN those games, not just play them.  Had OU won just one of those games they are easily in ahead of Washington.
- You can't compare basketball to football.  A 16 team basketball tournament can be completed in a week.  A 16-team football playoff takes 4 weeks, minimum. 
- Your last point I agree with!
I do get your points, it's just that the casual fan doesn't care about beauty contests. They want to keep things simple. You win you advance. Not win, then let a number of people who have no defined criteria decide who is deserving to move on. That just reeks of collusion/corruption. The steps to get from a to z should be easy to understand and be defined.

Win as many games as possible for a shot at the conference championship
Win your conference championship to move on to the playoff
Win your playoff game(s) to be crowned the champion

At that point there's not really anything to argue and the final winner is deemed the victor.

Sure you can always claim the "best" team maybe had an off night and lost but at the end of the day they still lost. Plus it just sets up for more compelling matchups, personally I cared more about the Washington/Bama matchup because it felt like a David & Goliath type deal. Based on numbers eventhough that game was earlier it outdrew the Ohio St/Clemson game (just barely). While one cannot make the assumption that it was because people wanted to see the underdog win, it is something to consider.

Either way the format needs to be looked at and should be modified.

Wexahu

cheese83 said:
Win your conference championship to move on to the playoff

We really need to get off the "win your conference championship to advance" idea.

Conference championships in college football are not the be-all end-all, ESPECIALLY the ones that are determined by a tiebreaker.  For example, by the method that everyone uses to determine their "champion" TCU did not win the Big 12 in 2014.  Baylor did.  So you mean to tell me the only reason TCU is able to claim a conference championship is because of the conference bylaws?  I thought you were all about winning it on the field?  We didn't win it on the field, we won it in the conference legal documents.  Baylor won it on the field, right?  Ohio State had just as much a claim on the Big 10 East championship last year based on on-the-field results as TCU did the Big 12 championship in 2014, yet everyone here is saying OSU shouldn't make the playoffs because they didn't win their conference.   See how stupid this is?

There are 8 or 9 conference games in a regular season.  There are 12-14 teams per conference.  How the hell do you determine a legitimate conference champion when you don't even play 3 or 4 teams in your conference?   Why put so much weight on something that isn't even legitimate and is instead fabricated because the conferences feel like they need to crown a "champion" somehow?

And as for the committee saying a conference championship was a prerequisite for making the playoffs, they never said that, not even close.  Just wanted to cut that argument off ahead of time.