• The KillerFrogs

ESPN Hemorrhaging

West Coast Johnny

ESPN Will Lose $75 Million broadcasting the AFC wildcard game. 

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-will-lose-75-million-televising-raiders-texans-010217

But until today I thought that at least ESPN was getting this wild card game as part of the $1.9 billion a year it pays for Monday Night Football and assorted other NFL studio shows. That Monday Night Football package just hit the lowest ratings in nearly a decade and narrowly avoided becoming the worst rated package of games in over forty years of Monday Night Football. But I was wrong about this game being included in that deal.

It turns out, and this is positively mind boggling, that ESPN pays $100 million dollars just to air this single wild card game. 

Seriously, ESPN is paying $100 million to televise Raiders at Texans on Saturday. 

Every other network that carries the NFL -- NBC, CBS, and Fox -- has their playoff games or the Super Bowl, which rotates between NBC, CBS and Fox each three years, included within their yearly rights fee. Except for ESPN, which pays an extra $100 million for one crappy wild card game. 

But, wait, it gets worse. 

ESPN can only make around $25 million airing this wild card game.

Dogfrog

The reason there is unwritten agreement among college presidents to allow TV partners to run college football is because the presidents are addicted to the payout so they just sit back and try to ignore the stench. The big question is what happens when the money tree dies like Toomer's Corner? Hope somebody has a plan B, which could be a bloody battle for the scraps.

Opintel

Moderators
Dogfrog said:
The reason there is unwritten agreement among college presidents to allow TV partners to run college football is because the presidents are addicted to the payout so they just sit back and try to ignore the stench. The big question is what happens when the money tree dies like Toomer's Corner? Hope somebody has a plan B, which could be a bloody battle for the scraps.
I really think the Big Cigars at TCU already have a plan in place for the inevitable demise of the system we currently enjoy... :rolleyes: 

The debt service on TCU athletics has got to be one of the lowest in P5. Paid for stuff can do that for you. :mellow:

cousinjoker

Peacefrog said:
Completely agree. I just like to ask people that get angry about either a left or right narrative if they would be so mad if the narrative were on their side. It happens too often that people are mad the viewpoint isn't shared not that there is a viewpoint at all.
Bill Walton talked about weed last night. Do you think he rolls his own?

French Frog

I am proud to say that I helped contribute to ESEC's latest number of subscribers lost.

ESPN has now lost a jawdropping 1.176 million subscribers in the past two months.

TAINTed frog

French Frog said:
I am proud to say that I helped contribute to ESEC's latest number of subscribers lost.

ESPN has now lost a jawdropping 1.176 million subscribers in the past two months.

I'm still debating whether or not to get rid of DirectTV. Any help from those who have "cut the cord" would be much appreciated.  How does Vue or one of the other services work?

Do you have to buy a "box" for each TV?
What channels do you get?
Obviously you have to subscribe to HBO, et al, separately?
Do you get the sports channels so as to watch the Frog?
It sounds like you need an antenna for local channels?
How much do you really save, and what are the upfront costs?

Sorry for the ignorance, just trying to understand this a bit more without having to go down an internet worm hole figuring it all out.

Klaw

FBallFan123 said:
Austin Karp @AustinKarp

ESPN's CFP Championship "megacast" overnight rating after three iterations: 15.3 (2017), 16.0 (2016), 18.9 (2015)
Repeat and southern teams definitely did not make this an attractive draw

ftwfrog

FBallFan123 said:
Austin Karp @AustinKarp

ESPN's CFP Championship "megacast" overnight rating after three iterations: 15.3 (2017), 16.0 (2016), 18.9 (2015)
Didn't the Packers/Giants get a 30?

Deep Purple

HToady said:
Why would a grown man want to be referred to as "Booger"?

b41f10582a7f22805613facada9f29a03fa8275f0726e22581b5856e9f9e0aa5_1.jpg

TAINTed frog said:

I'm still debating whether or not to get rid of DirectTV. Any help from those who have "cut the cord" would be much appreciated.  How does Vue or one of the other services work?

Do you have to buy a "box" for each TV?
What channels do you get?
Obviously you have to subscribe to HBO, et al, separately?
Do you get the sports channels so as to watch the Frog?
It sounds like you need an antenna for local channels?
How much do you really save, and what are the upfront costs?

Sorry for the ignorance, just trying to understand this a bit more without having to go down an internet worm hole figuring it all out.
Left DTV 2 months ago for Vue. You'll need a device for every TV unless you want to move it from room to room. By device I mean Roku, Firestick, etc. I have a Roku for 2 rooms and my BIL is having my Firestick unlocked by some nerd in his platoon . Vue has different packages and I subscribe to the top of the line for $75/month. It comes with HBO, Showtime and all the sports channels (Espns, FS1 and 2, SECN, LHN, NHLN, NFLN and FSSW). I have read that some people, depending on zip code, have had trouble getting FSSW. MLB is not on there yet. Locally, it comes with 4, 5, 11, 21 and Telemundo. I don't get the local ABC affiliate but it does have an ABC on demand channel so you can keep up with Blackish and Grey's anatomy. Whenever ABC had a game on Saturdays I would watch it on the Watch ESPN app on Roku. I went ahead and bought antennae for the TVs and I'll be damned if there aren't a bazillion local channels. I found myself watching b&W reruns all day last Saturday.

I like Vue. It has limited DVR functions and there's a few other conveniences it lacks compared to DTV but, for me at least, the overall savings is worth it. It's freeing, in a way. Plus, I find myself using Netflix and Prime more than I ever did.

If you have a smart TV you can also look into IPTV using one of the apps you can download to your TV. It's kind of confusing and I'm still working through it but it's another added layer of crap you can do these days with just an Internet connection.

2314@work

Contributor
PhormerPhrog said:
Left DTV 2 months ago for Vue. You'll need a device for every TV unless you want to move it from room to room. By device I mean Roku, Firestick, etc. I have a Roku for 2 rooms and my BIL is having my Firestick unlocked by some nerd in his platoon . Vue has different packages and I subscribe to the top of the line for $75/month. It comes with HBO, Showtime and all the sports channels (Espns, FS1 and 2, SECN, LHN, NHLN, NFLN and FSSW). I have read that some people, depending on zip code, have had trouble getting FSSW. MLB is not on there yet. Locally, it comes with 4, 5, 11, 21 and Telemundo. I don't get the local ABC affiliate but it does have an ABC on demand channel so you can keep up with Blackish and Grey's anatomy. Whenever ABC had a game on Saturdays I would watch it on the Watch ESPN app on Roku. I went ahead and bought antennae for the TVs and I'll be damned if there aren't a bazillion local channels. I found myself watching b&W reruns all day last Saturday.

I like Vue. It has limited DVR functions and there's a few other conveniences it lacks compared to DTV but, for me at least, the overall savings is worth it. It's freeing, in a way. Plus, I find myself using Netflix and Prime more than I ever did.

If you have a smart TV you can also look into IPTV using one of the apps you can download to your TV. It's kind of confusing and I'm still working through it but it's another added layer of crap you can do these days with just an Internet connection.
:eek:hmy:

Pharm Frog

Would you like a side of politics with your women's sports coverage?

https://twitter.com/espnW/status/822798498458435584

https://twitter.com/espnW/status/822813506797912064