• The KillerFrogs

ESPN Dallas: TCU turns down Wisconsin rematch

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
ESPN Dallas: TCU turns down Wisconsin rematch

By Jeff Caplan
ESPNDallas.com

Is a Rose Bowl rematch brewing between Wisconsin and TCU for the 2011 season opener?

It's not going to happen, but both schools were contacted about the idea.

Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema said on a Madison, Wis., sports radio station Wednesday that he was approached about playing host to TCU on Sept. 3.

"I was contacted probably a week, maybe a week- and-a-half after the bowl game about the opportunity to play TCU in our opener," Bielema told the show. "It was something that was going to be broadcast and made a big deal. It took me all of about point-five seconds to say, 'Yes.'" ...

ftwfrog

Kind of a non-story, except for in Wisconsin and TCU. Every year teams cannot agree on terms and do not play each other. However, ESPN gets the story out there. Its one of the options on the front page at ESPN.com. :angry:

jeremyjack22

Kind of a non-story, except for in Wisconsin and TCU. Every year teams cannot agree on terms and do not play each other. However, ESPN gets the story out there. Its one of the options on the front page at ESPN.com. :angry:

Actually, it is a topic in Lubbock too because I have Tech friends (first mistake) now trying to turn the tables on us saying we are scared. Pretty funny.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I've got some better reasons than that, Del Conte: 1.) We won. We own the tee box. You want a game? Play it at our place, or at least a place of our choosing. At the very least, on our terms. Losers do not name conditions... 2.) ESPN raises its foul head once again. Didn't you guys heave a monkey wrench into our matchup with Tech last year? Sure. you repaid us with a JerryWorld game with the Beavers, but Tech ducked us this season (out of a contracted game, not a 'proposed matchup') leading to all kinds of problems. ESPN, you owe us. Not the other way around. 3.) You jerks at all levels knew what the answer was going to be before the proposal was even trotted out. Why set up a scenario simply to heap calumny upon us? Unless that was the idea all along...

Get out in front of this, Chris. "We've been trying to schedule lots of BCS schools since Tech ran screaming. Nobody wants a game. We have open dates in Fort Worth. Wisconsin can easily move their home game (they play 7) against the Little Sis.. Oh, sorry, uh, Northern South Dakota Technical College and come on down here to play the winners of their last matchup. If you are going to challenge a winner, you have to do it on their terms. We're the winners. 21-19."

Dogfrog

It was Bielema who put it out there. If you are in business and you attempt to negotiate a deal with another company, and it falls through, you don't call a press conference and say "We wanted to do business with them and they refused". It's totally classless and self serving. It's been a long running trend for Big 10 schools to offer a one and done at their stadium, which is declined, and then later very publicly call it "backing out". Of course, ESPN goes with the sensationalist story title as well.

Sponger

I don't blame the Wisconsin coach....he wants a rematch, so what? He made a true statement during a radio interview about being approached for, and wanting to, play a rematch game against TCU since they had an open place on the schedule. He didn't call a press conference and call us out. What coach wouldn't want that?

The problem is...regardless of all the valid reasons we don't want to play the game...that 99% of the football fans out there will say we are ducking Winsonsin. This is PURE fule for the fire for that non-sense argument that non-BCS schools can "get up for one game a year" and don't have tough schedules. Heck....look at our freaking schedule this year....it's a joke.

It's a headline for ESPN that people will read and get fired up about. Forget any shot at a National Championship next year unless every SEC/Big 10(12)/Big 12(10)/PAC 10 school has at least 2 losses.

joefrog91

Dennis Dodds seems to be the only media guy that gets it. He Tweeted in TCU's favor. I bet you anything The Herd will have plenty to say about it.

Dogfrog

I don't blame the Wisconsin coach....he wants a rematch, so what? He made a true statement during a radio interview about being approached for, and wanting to, play a rematch game against TCU since they had an open place on the schedule. He didn't call a press conference and call us out. What coach wouldn't want that?

The problem is...regardless of all the valid reasons we don't want to play the game...that 99% of the football fans out there will say we are ducking Winsonsin. This is PURE fule for the fire for that non-sense argument that non-BCS schools can "get up for one game a year" and don't have tough schedules. Heck....look at our freaking schedule this year....it's a joke.

It's a headline for ESPN that people will read and get fired up about. Forget any shot at a National Championship next year unless every SEC/Big 10(12)/Big 12(10)/PAC 10 school has at least 2 losses.

Bielema didn't call a press conference, but he didn't have to mention it at all. It was totally self serving. How can you expect to be able to have future business dealings with people when you intentionally throw them under the bus like that?

hindry

the meat of the matter...

unless it was already schedule, no winner of a rivalry game would immediately schedule a rematch

it ain't best of 3...

they should have shown up on gameday

they had plenty of notice, didn't they? i think they announced it in the paper.

loads of cheese heads will call us out. craig james em!

tell em to join the BE and we will see em once a year

cause i doubt they ever make is back to a bcs bowl

jake102

Yeah reading the comments on that article will jump start you into a seizure. It's unbelievable. But we look like really bad.

Froggle Rock

I made the mistake of reading the comments. Don't do it.

So did I. Fact of the matter is, most of the people commenting were looking for a reason to discredit TCU in the first place. Secondly, they are the type of people that won't listen to facts and reason, they'd rather wallow in their own ignorance.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
So did I. Fact of the matter is, most of the people commenting were looking for a reason to discredit TCU in the first place. Secondly, they are the type of people that won't listen to facts and reason, they'd rather wallow in their own ignorance.

What you are seeing is the average ESPN viewer. This is why ESPN ginned up this story; simply to make TCU look bad. We didn't agree to their little scheme, so we get to suffer.

Froggle Rock

What you are seeing is the average ESPN viewer. This is why ESPN ginned up this story; simply to make TCU look bad. We didn't agree to their little scheme, so we get to suffer.

True, but I just jumped offside pretty hard at some of the comments. I responded with the following:

"When was the last time the loser of a game got to make the terms for the rematch? If Wisconsin wanted to play TCU again, they should have given them some say in when and where. Fact of the matter is, Wisconsin wanted one game (not a home and home), in Wisconsin. Another fact, TCU would have had to cancel an already scheduled game with Baylor (a long time rival). TCU is simply honoring an existing contract to play (unlike Texas Tech) and asking for a say in the terms of a rematch with Wisconsin. Turns out, it's Wisconsin's way or the highway. Loser calling the shots? That doesn't make sense."

Of course it will get lost among the rabble...but at least it's off my chest.