• The KillerFrogs

DMN: SMU’s Rhett Lashlee wants SMU-TCU rivalry to remain, even if college landscape changes

Eight

I still like the idea that schedules are based on prior year records. So the beginning SOS is as neutral as possible. Of course you might miss a team for several years in a row.

nfl is the only league i can think of that does that but only part of the schedule is based upon prior schedule

the teams still play their divisional games and the predetermined rotating divisional opponents

YA

What little I know about the financial side of college football I've mostly learned on this forum (that's how credible I am). I suspect that in modern, post-SWC times, year-in year-out the TCU football game is SMU's most profitable athletic venture. They, or some of their alums/fans anyway, will tell you in a hurry how rich SMU is, and how that makes them better than, well, everyone else (but particularly TCU).
TCU has a bigger endowment than smu and has for a very long time!!!

smu $1,958,459,591

TCU $2.4 billion endowment

Eight

But what about attendance smack?

its-on-like-donkey-kong.gif

Deep Purple

I don't get why we're even discussing whether to continue playing SMU. Why the heck wouldn't we want to play every other year in a tinker-toy stadium with a concrete facade that is always unprepared for game-day operations, in a contest that our players see as "just another game," but our opponents treat as their Super Bowl -- and is definitely the highest-revenue game of their season, when we could have used that date to schedule our own home game and added to our bottom line?

Seems like a slam-dunk to me.

/sarcasm

FrogCop19

I don't get why we're even discussing whether to continue playing SMU. Why the heck wouldn't we want to play every other year in a tinker-toy stadium with a concrete facade that is always unprepared for game-day operations, in a contest that our players see as "just another game," but our opponents treat as their Super Bowl -- and is definitely the highest-revenue game of their season, when we could have used that date to schedule our own home game and added to our bottom line?

/sarcasm
Thank God you put that /sarcasm on there, I wasn't sure for a bit...

/return sarcasm
:p

An-Cap Frog

/sarcasm
With more teams making the playoff in 2024 it will be interesting to see the effect on scheduling. Either teams won't be a afraid of scheduling good opponents because you can still make the playoff with say less than 10 wins. Or teams will soften their schedules because all you have to do is win your conference and non-con won't matter as much.

froginmn

/sarcasm
Yes but if they do end up in the PAC, it's a P5 opponent in the Metroplex that will need to upgrade their ops, will no longer consider our game their Super Bowl, and looks a lot better on the schedule than Tarleton St.

If the alternative is replacing them with ACU/University of North Texas, I'd rather play the horses.