• The KillerFrogs

DMN: SMU’s Rhett Lashlee wants SMU-TCU rivalry to remain, even if college landscape changes

We played at University of North Texas. A Patterson team. 2001 after the Nebraska game. We struggled but pulled out the win. In the old stadium.
That stadium back then makes SMU’s current stadium look like a palace. I’ve been to TCU road games back to the 90’s. I’ve been to about 30 or more different college football stadiums. Trust me, only one stadium might have been worse than Fouts Field. Ownby Stadium at SMU before 2000. The seats were wood bleachers and were real uncomfortable.

Froginbedford

That stadium back then makes SMU’s current stadium look like a palace. I’ve been to TCU road games back to the 90’s. I’ve been to about 30 or more different college football stadiums. Trust me, only one stadium might have been worse than Fouts Field. Ownby Stadium at SMU before 2000. The seats were wood bleachers and were real uncomfortable.
And there was little parking at the stadium....Had to park near the administration building....No shuttle available....

Froginbedford

Agreed & if we replace SMU we’re just going to get FCS or SWAC. We won’t get a big name P5 team at home, those always seem to get moved to Jerry World anyway.
TCU athletics/head coach/chancellor could stand their ground and not take Jerry's roach motel bait....If a contract calls for home-and-home (looking at you Ohio State) and the Big Boy r (Penn State or Georgia or USC, etc.) does not want to play at ACS, then let them buy out the game, full price....I'm just an old codger who was terribly disappointed that TCU caved in and let Ohio State/Big 10/Jerry/ESPN, the United Nations, and OPEC (feel free to insert your personal nemesis here) dictate to us....

Endless Purple

Curious.

We already have a FCS team on the annual schedule. Yet, SMU seems to be more horrific to many in this thread.

If we were to cancel the 100 year rivalry with SMU (who has also become a decent AAC team), who do you want instead? Another FCS, Kent St, UNLV? It wont be another high level team, as the first choice over the past many years for CFP inclusion has been win count. OOC competition only comes into play as a tie breaker type discussion. Maybe bring in Rice?

Also why keep the FCS instead of SMU?

Eight

Curious.

We already have a FCS team on the annual schedule. Yet, SMU seems to be more horrific to many in this thread.

If we were to cancel the 100 year rivalry with SMU (who has also become a decent AAC team), who do you want instead? Another FCS, Kent St, UNLV? It wont be another high level team, as the first choice over the past many years for CFP inclusion has been win count. OOC competition only comes into play as a tie breaker type discussion. Maybe bring in Rice?

there isn't any good reason other than the frogs have always played them

Deep Purple

Curious.

I doubt many object to playing SMU occassionally -- but as a yealry commmitment to a home-and-home? No. We can sign any other FCS school and they will gladly play us at our house for the payday without expecting a return game at their house.

Last edited:

Endless Purple

I doubt many object to playing SMU occassionally -- but as a yealry commmitment to a home-and-home? No. We can sign any other FCS school and they will gladly us play at our house for the payday without expecting a return game at their house.
So the home only factor.

"any other FCS" - so two FCS schools since SMU is not FCS. Or do you mean any other G5 school to home only?

That is a valid discussion, but then I would add to it by bringing up the "unfairness" or making fun of as mentioned on this board many times about SEC schools playing 8 home or all easy home G5/FCS schools (not you specifically that I know of). Though I do see how it can fit the phrase hate the game not the player.

froginaustin

I doubt many object to playing SMU occassionally -- but as a yealry commmitment to a home-and-home? No. We can sign any other FCS school and they will gladly us play at our house for the payday without expecting a return game at their house.

I hope the athletic administration is in no hurry to sign another multi-cycle home-and-home contract with SMU, or anyone else OOC for that matter, until the conference situation stabilizes for both TCU/B12 and SMU/whatever.

YA

I wonder what SMU would do. The AAC has a 27 mo. notice & $10m exit rule.
Of course they could opt for more money and less time. Maybe $25m to play in the PAC in ‘24 on an extended pay plan.
smu is reportedly willing to pay the whole Comcast pac overpayments as admission fee and take $10 million for the life of the negotiated deal to gain admittance.

They are desperate to get out of the shadow of University of North Texas and others coming to the aac.

82 Frog Fever

smu is reportedly willing to pay the whole Comcast pac overpayments as admission fee and take $10 million for the life of the negotiated deal to gain admittance.

They are desperate to get out of the shadow of University of North Texas and others coming to the aac.
They’re certainly desperate. I saw the claim that David Miller was going to Pony Up $70-$80m to pay off Comcast & leave the AAC. The source of the story is John Canzano, he is a straight up liar, so I didn’t believe it.
The 10%+ dilution for adding 2 teams would be a bitter pill to swallow for existing PAC schools on a smallish contract, so it would take something crazy like that to get an offer. Maybe it is possible.

tetonfrog

TCU athletics/head coach/chancellor could stand their ground and not take Jerry's roach motel bait....If a contract calls for home-and-home (looking at you Ohio State) and the Big Boy r (Penn State or Georgia or USC, etc.) does not want to play at ACS, then let them buy out the game, full price....I'm just an old codger who was terribly disappointed that TCU caved in and let Ohio State/Big 10/Jerry/ESPN, the United Nations, and OPEC (feel free to insert your personal nemesis here) dictate to us....
I thought that was all CGP. He did not want two losses to OSU on his ledger.

Deep Purple

Actually they are not. Now if you want to advocate for a pure P5 schedule, then that would be a different argument, otherwise it is just petty ranting cause someone does not like SMU
No, you got so sidetracked by correcting my terminology and your love for the Ponies, you missed the substance of what I said. Allow me to repeat it with corrected terminology so that you can focus on the issue without getting distracted by shiny objects:

"I doubt many object to playing SMU occasionally -- but as a yearly commitment to a home-and-home? No. We can sign any other G5 school and they will gladly play us at our house for the payday without expecting a return game at their house."

Look at that! No petty rant about SMU.

(which is often a basis for rivalries)

A rivalry based on not wanting to play the same team every year in a home-and-home? Sounds like a self-contradiction.

Maybe you should be correcting your own terminology.

An-Cap Frog

You misspelled the Federal Reserve.