• The KillerFrogs

Dixon?

BABYFACE

Reading comprehension is clearly not a strength of yours. You completely misread and misunderstood my overall point. To be clear, for you and everyone else calling for my head because I want to continue to grow as a program, I am not disputing that the NIT is better than what we had previously. No one sane would dispute that.

I am simply stating that it's not something we should hang our hat on over and over 2 years later if we want to ascend as a program. Not sure why you are having such a tough time grasping this. Just pointing out that when we are playing at Tech or at Kansas or apparently at Ok State, and we have 5 straight possessions of absolutely no ball movement or play design whatsoever, Saying "we won the NIT" isn't acceptable. Am I happy we won that tourney in year 1? Absolutely. Does this give JD a free pass that exempts him from any criticism or examination forever simply because of the terrible past history of TCU Hoops? I would seriously hope not.
I can't even fathom how my posting of this idea would constitute "trolling," but here we are. Read better next time.

Trolling comes to mind when a poster that doesn’t post often and appears to post negativity in a Troll’s thread. Oh, I can comprehend. When you made the NIT was cute post, how did you not expect people to not reply to that? You should have expected it.

Year one was a hell of a turn around. Year two was progress with a NCAA bid. Year three was headed in the right direction until the end of December.

We all like to see upward progress and are disappointed how the season has turned out so far. But, what in the hell were you expecting after all the attrition that has struck this team over the last two months? If you had taken that into account, you wouldn’t have made the comments you did with condescension. I see a lack of perspective and realistic expectations for the current situation from your comments. Go ahead, fire back.

Last edited:

Zubaz

CJD is now 20-29 in Big 12 play with a 7th place finish, a 5th place finish, and what looks like to be a 7th place finish again this year....in a 10-team league (albeit a good one).

At what point should we expect to see better results? I don't think anyone is saying we should be winning conference championships and hanging with Kansas every year, but when a guy is getting paid $3M+/year it does need to start getting better really soon or you're paying a lot of money for a lot of mediocrity.
I disagree with the folks that think due to the smaller rosters bigger impact of individual playmakers, basketball can be rebuilt in 2 or 3 years. That might be true at a respectable school, where a good coach can sell someone on some good recruits and turn it around, but it really underestimates how putrid TCU basketball has been for almost 2 decades, and the battle Dixon faced with recruiting as a result. And besides, it's not like our recruits have been busts. These kids took us from dead last to competitive to NIT champs to a tourney appearance, and we were trending up this year until had some bad injury luck. It is disappointing, but it's not like we are looking at consistent regression or lacking results.

Farmfrog

I’m only speaking for myself but I don’t believe anyone can really ever come to a definitive conclusion as to how good/bad this season is. If after next season and we’re still struggling with a full and healthy roster then we can revisit whether or not Jamie is doing a good job.

Frogs1983

Great first two years. But man, can he just not recruit? Did great with Johnson recruits but his own haven't shown to be more than average. Bane, Davis good but no big men? Samuel is average. C'mon Dixon, we need a big recruit to sign! Maybe he should hire Johnson to recruit for him?
He got some 'great" recruits. Unfortunately, they all seem to be leaving.

Volare

I’m only speaking for myself but I don’t believe anyone can really ever come to a definitive conclusion as to how good/bad this season is. If after next season and we’re still struggling with a full and healthy roster then we can revisit whether or not (insert head coaches name) is doing a good job.

FIFY, Repeat as needed.

Eight

I disagree with the folks that think due to the smaller rosters bigger impact of individual playmakers, basketball can be rebuilt in 2 or 3 years. That might be true at a respectable school, where a good coach can sell someone on some good recruits and turn it around, but it really underestimates how putrid TCU basketball has been for almost 2 decades, and the battle Dixon faced with recruiting as a result. And besides, it's not like our recruits have been busts. These kids took us from dead last to competitive to NIT champs to a tourney appearance, and we were trending up this year until had some bad injury luck. It is disappointing, but it's not like we are looking at consistent regression or lacking results.

consider the talent that came into the tcu program under trent between 2013-2015

recruits : karviar shepherd, brandon parrish, michael williams, vladimir brodziansky, and jd miller

transfers: kenrich williams, chris washburn, and alex robinson

all of those kids came to tcu under trent with [ Finebaum ]ty facilities and somehow people seem to forget the home games played at an fwisd gym.

those kids comprised the back bone of that team that won the nit title and qualified for the ncaa tournament so i really don't want to hear how hard it is to sell tcu when somehow trent did it with a worse situation regards to resources and facilities

dixon has signed 14 kids in his first 3 classes, each class higher rated than trent's during the 2013-2015 span, but only 7 of those 14 remain on the roster.

injury has not be the primary problem in those 3 classes. jaylen is the one career we know has been plagued by injury. trent had to endure losing kenrich for a season and shepherd was plagued by back problems.

parrish transferred to rice, archie to utep, alok to ucf, angus went west, have no idea what happened with olden, and andre' pierce decided to go play in europe.

interestingly if you go by the numerical rating provided by 247 the two lowest rated dixon recruits are noi and bane who it could be argued are the two players he has recruited who have had the best careers.

i am not calling for dixon's job, as i have said before he has done good things for the program, think this year is a mulligan for a variety of reasons, but he inherited a roster with some talent, new facilities, and more resources than trent ever had during his time in ft worth.

it is not out of line to expect to see improvement in year 4 of a division 1 program

YA

CJD is now 20-29 in Big 12 play with a 7th place finish, a 5th place finish, and what looks like to be a 7th place finish again this year....in a 10-team league (albeit a good one).

At what point should we expect to see better results? I don't think anyone is saying we should be winning conference championships and hanging with Kansas every year, but when a guy is getting paid $3M+/year it does need to start getting better really soon or you're paying a lot of money for a lot of mediocrity.
A lot of mediocrity?? Are you for real? You seem to have a problem with every TCU team regardless of the sport and have all the answers. Smh. Questioning schemes is one thing but saying the product on the floor is trash is bs.

Dogfrog

He got some 'great" recruits. Unfortunately, they all seem to be leaving.

They were great recruits on paper. The only one that panned out as a great player got hurt and left. The rest would be welcome as practice participants but didn’t appear destined for greatness IMO.

Wexahu

A lot of mediocrity?? Are you for real? You seem to have a problem with every TCU team regardless of the sport and have all the answers. Smh. Questioning schemes is one thing but saying the product on the floor is trash is bs.

What the heck? When did I ever say the product on the floor is “trash”? That’s quite a leap. I’m saying it needs to be better. It should be better IMO. And 7th, 5th and 7th in a 10 team conference is almost by definition mediocre, and that’s kind of what we’ve been. Mediocre isn’t terrible. But are we going to forever say just because we’re TCU we shouldn’t expect much from our basketball team?

DickBumpastache

The 2019 class will define JD's tenure. I sincerely hope that PJ Fuller is all he's cracked up to be. It's sometimes tough to evaluate guys in loaded prep programs like he's at. And Farabello needs to be able to start (or at least play 20+ minutes if you want Davis playing PG full-time) immediately with Robinson leaving after this year. Obviously we need more bodies as well...preferably grad transfers who can play right away.

The bad teams this year (TX, OU, OSU) put together solid classes. This will always be one of, if not the, best conferences in college basketball. I appreciate everything JD has done for the program, but I think the 'mulligans' should max out at 1.

TRF51

consider the talent that came into the tcu program under trent between 2013-2015

recruits : karviar shepherd, brandon parrish, michael williams, vladimir brodziansky, and jd miller

transfers: kenrich williams, chris washburn, and alex robinson

all of those kids came to tcu under trent with [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]ty facilities and somehow people seem to forget the home games played at an fwisd gym.

those kids comprised the back bone of that team that won the nit title and qualified for the ncaa tournament so i really don't want to hear how hard it is to sell tcu when somehow trent did it with a worse situation regards to resources and facilities

dixon has signed 14 kids in his first 3 classes, each class higher rated than trent's during the 2013-2015 span, but only 7 of those 14 remain on the roster.

injury has not be the primary problem in those 3 classes. jaylen is the one career we know has been plagued by injury. trent had to endure losing kenrich for a season and shepherd was plagued by back problems.

parrish transferred to rice, archie to utep, alok to ucf, angus went west, have no idea what happened with olden, and andre' pierce decided to go play in europe.

interestingly if you go by the numerical rating provided by 247 the two lowest rated dixon recruits are noi and bane who it could be argued are the two players he has recruited who have had the best careers.

i am not calling for dixon's job, as i have said before he has done good things for the program, think this year is a mulligan for a variety of reasons, but he inherited a roster with some talent, new facilities, and more resources than trent ever had during his time in ft worth.

it is not out of line to expect to see improvement in year 4 of a division 1 program

Love to see some of you argue this.

froginmn

True, and Trent's 2-16 record clearly didn't show that. Yet to be seen what Dixon will do in his fourth year next year.

Double D

Tier 1
I read this thread and think about what a dumpster fire TCU basketball was during the 2010-2011 season. Estridge called me to produce TCU basketball radio broadcasts for the second 1/2 of the season. I traveled to San Diego, Wyomjng and Albuquerque. I did not witness a win. That team was awful. So to read this thread just makes me laugh. TCU basketball has come a long way since then. To me, TCU basketball is in pretty good shape considering what I witnessed up close under then head coach Jim Christian.

Go Frogs!

cheese83

If I were CJD reading this I might consider UCLA!! Do you remember where we were four years ago??

Seriously people!!

We were so bad, him and Miller have been recruiting well. Just bc a kid is a 4* doesn’t mean he’s going to be a beast his Soph or RSFr year. Most players take time to develop, Samuel is a young stud and needs to get stronger while also increasing stamina. That takes time.
Nembhard isn’t done either.
Next year we bring everyone back but ARob and Miller. I bet Kaden Archie is kicking his own ass right now seeing that he could be getting tons of minutes, instead he’s sitting on his ass waiting to become irrelevant at UTEP.

The fact someone said they wish we had Hamdy over Samuel is insane. I bet next season Noi plays a stretch 4 with Fuller and Bane at the 2/3. Davis at PG w Farabello backing him up then Nembhard off the bench. We should also be an ideal spot for a grad transfer, so I’m real excited for the rest of the season and next year.

Eight

I read this thread and think about what a dumpster fire TCU basketball was during the 2010-2011 season. Estridge called me to produce TCU basketball radio broadcasts for the second 1/2 of the season. I traveled to San Diego, Wyomjng and Albuquerque. I did not witness a win. That team was awful. So to read this thread just makes me laugh. TCU basketball has come a long way since then. To me, TCU basketball is in pretty good shape considering what I witnessed up close under then head coach Jim Christian.

Go Frogs!

pretty sure no one has taken the stance that tcu was good in 2010-11 nor did anyone say positive things haven't happened.

using 2010-11 as a benchmark has some flaws as the program in that time was not given the resources dedicated to the current program or the facilities.

i will say the level of competition is much more difficult and improvement in the programs is not always going to directly result in a better overall record. the 2017 was a very good team and ended up .500 in big 12 play.

my biggest disagreement with some is what the program was 8 years ago or even the past 20 years should not be the measuring stick for the current state of the program because the variables are not the same be it competition level, national profile and exposure, facilities, and available resources.

additionally, it is not out of line to link that with 3 recruiting classes a roster can be completely turned over and a program re-shaped. we see it happen in numerous programs and dixon and his staff have signed 14 players in his first three classes.

things don't always work as planned, that is life, and jamie and his staff should be given time. i don't think anyone has said they shouldn't but expressing frustration should also not be treated as treason or blasphemy.

always thought the purpose of a message board was discussion, but i guess that is just another area i am completely wrong about.

Eight

We were so bad, him and Miller have been recruiting well. Just bc a kid is a 4* doesn’t mean he’s going to be a beast his Soph or RSFr year. Most players take time to develop, Samuel is a young stud and needs to get stronger while also increasing stamina. That takes time.
Nembhard isn’t done either.
Next year we bring everyone back but ARob and Miller. I bet Kaden Archie is kicking his own ass right now seeing that he could be getting tons of minutes, instead he’s sitting on his ass waiting to become irrelevant at UTEP.

The fact someone said they wish we had Hamdy over Samuel is insane. I bet next season Noi plays a stretch 4 with Fuller and Bane at the 2/3. Davis at PG w Farabello backing him up then Nembhard off the bench. We should also be an ideal spot for a grad transfer, so I’m real excited for the rest of the season and next year.

concern i have with noi playing 4 is matching up against the bigger teams of the big 12. unless the frogs are going to channel paul westhead's lmu teams and push the pace i can see problems as the frogs have struggled this year with samuel and miller in the lineup against bigger teams.

agree a grad transfer would be nice and i hope that is big as well as picking up another big.