• The KillerFrogs

CPR on the field on Monday Night Football?

tcudoc

Post cardiac arrest protocol is to sedate, intubate, and do hypothermic therapy for, I think, 24 hours. So likely, they will know more then. Cardiac arrest outside the hospital has a very low success rate, unless there is rapid defibrillation and return of spontaneous circulation very soon afterwards.
So the key factors will include:
-Did they immediately start high quality chest compressions?
-How much time passed prior to defibrillation? Hopefully it occurred within about 5 minutes. If it was closer to ten minutes, the chances for meaningful recovery decrease.
-Getting him to the hospital for hypothermic therapy to decrease chance of brain cell death

I still think commotio cordis is most likely. Myocarditis could be an outside possibility. Traumatic rupture of the thoracic aorta is possible, but the hit did not seem violent enough. Prexisting disease such as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy or Marfan syndrome could also be an outside possibility, but don’t really fit the profile of what occurred on the field. If I were a betting man, I would say 98% chance it was Commotio cordis.
I think the hit caused the fibrillation, he had enough previous blood flow to the brain to allow him to rise to stand, and then, the effect of no further blood flow to the brain led to the collapse. There was no effort to break his fall, so that is consistent with an electrical event with sudden cessation of blood flow. The rise to stand caused gravity to have an even more profound effect, therefore the sudden collapse.

FrogCop19

Post cardiac arrest protocol is to sedate, intubate, and do hypothermic therapy for, I think, 24 hours. So likely, they will know more then. Cardiac arrest outside the hospital has a very low success rate, unless there is rapid defibrillation and return of spontaneous circulation very soon afterwards.
-How much time passed prior to defibrillation? Hopefully it occurred within about 5 minutes. If it was closer to ten minutes, the chances for meaningful recovery decrease.
-Getting him to the hospital for hypothermic therapy to decrease chance of brain cell death

I still think commotio cordis is most likely. Myocarditis could be an outside possibility. Traumatic rupture of the thoracic aorta is possible, but the hit did not seem violent enough. Prexisting disease such as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy or Marfan syndrome could also be an outside possibility, but don’t really fit the profile of what occurred on the field. If I were a betting man, I would say 98% chance it was Commotio cordis.
I think the hit caused the fibrillation, he had enough previous blood flow to the brain to allow him to rise to stand, and then, the effect of no further blood flow to the brain led to the collapse. There was no effort to break his fall, so that is consistent with an electrical event with sudden cessation of blood flow. The rise to stand caused gravity to have an even more profound effect, therefore the sudden collapse.
I know this seems trivial and out of left field, but it's oddly surreal to see a kf.c poster known for their humor and wit suddenly spout medical terminology and prognoses with equal skill. Its almost like you're a real doctor or something...:p

froginmn

Don’t think it’s a hard decision that when you have a player effectively dead on the field that you suspend the game. I get that it’s unprecedented, and there’s prob no easy rule or legal clause to refer to, but restarting was the last thing that should have been expected and seemed to be what the leagues first push was for.
Quite sure that Country was reacting to the comment that the NFL needs to do more, and from the lens of being prepared for this type of issue in terms of medical response as opposed to how to handle the sporting event response.

There's no ill intent anywhere here, just lots of shock.

Paint It Purple

A highly skilled athletic training staff and team physicians were there within seconds to assess the situation. Even more skilled (with cardiac events) EMTs were there just a few seconds later. If something like this happens outside a hospital emergency room, the level of care and expertise on that field is as good as it gets. Let's hope it was enough to save the young man's life and return him to his family whole.

McFroggin

A highly skilled athletic training staff and team physicians were there within seconds to assess the situation. Even more skilled (with cardiac events) EMTs were there just a few seconds later. If something like this happens outside a hospital emergency room, the level of care and expertise on that field is as good as it gets. Let's hope it was enough to save the young man's life and return him to his family whole.

Agreed that he got good, swift care.

The emergency medicine and neuro critical care trained physicians that were on-site are fantastic docs. The physicians there weren’t outdated, let’s wrap your ankle basic team clinicians.

You hate to see this random [ Finebaum ] (based on what it is believed to be). It can happen in any sport, but the people on that field couldn’t have been better selected for this situation.

It’s after 9 o’clock in the morning and ESPN is still droning on about someone’s tragedy without reporting any new news. Nothing else. All while being depressing to its viewers. Every time I go back to ESPN looking for some sports news it’s all about Damar Hamlin‘s no news. Yeah we all feel the sorrow but to drone on about it is abusing the tragedy for drama.

TV must be convinced we want to bathe in it for the entire day because of our human nature, or our toxic culture — engrossed by others' tragedy. It is unseemly and off-putting.

Last edited:

HFrog1999

Humor is my non paying side hustle.

Sarcastic George Costanza GIF

Frog Wild

Ticket Exchange Pass
Unreal night in history. Praying this kid survives. Also hoping this can become another step in the right direction w the NFL being forced to better handle player safety and well being moving forward. The fact that their first reaction was to simply give the players 10 minutes to restart the game and that it (rumored) took the players and coaches to effectively conduct a mutiny and head to the locker rooms to suspend the game is a terrible look
A Detroit Lions player, Chuck Hughes, died of a heart attack on the field in 1971 and they finished the game.

crash813

I've heard of a college football coach dying in the middle of a game on the sidelines and they still finished. Its nice to see that society is starting to get a little more perspection on humanity.

Frog79

Tee Higgins took the tackle on by leading with his shoulder. I’m assuming that shoulder to the chest may have been the trauma that @tcudoc referenced when he explained his best guess at the time. I haven’t watched the replay more than the original once over so I’m just guessing.
Yes he took a rather routine hit to the upper torso that a million times out of a million-and-one would be uneventful for an NFL athlete. OTOH he almost certainly was vaccinated as required by the NFL (unless you are a superstar like Aaron Rogers). Men in his age group have a 2.5-3% chance of heart damage from myocarditis from the covid jabs which makes them quite vulnerable to cardiac arrest, especially during adrenaline surges like the one he almost certainly had when anticipating making a tackle. So maybe a one in a million chance of ordinary commotio cordis vs. a much greater chance of vaccine-caused heart damage + adrenaline surge + routine chest trauma => cardiac arrest. I favor the latter scenario, especially after watching several hundreds of male athletes keel over on the playing field since mass vaccination with Covid shots.

McFroggin

Yes he took a rather routine hit to the upper torso that a million times out of a million-and-one would be uneventful for an NFL athlete. OTOH he almost certainly was vaccinated as required by the NFL (unless you are a superstar like Aaron Rogers). Men in his age group have a 2.5-3% chance of heart damage from myocarditis from the covid jabs which makes them quite vulnerable to cardiac arrest, especially during adrenaline surges like the one he almost certainly had when anticipating making a tackle. So maybe a one in a million chance of ordinary commotio cordis vs. a much greater chance of vaccine-caused heart damage + adrenaline surge + routine chest trauma => cardiac arrest. I favor the latter scenario, especially after watching several hundreds of male athletes keel over on the playing field since mass vaccination with Covid shots.

hometown frog

tap a lap [ Arschloch]

TCURiggs

I’m betting (and hoping and praying) he’ll be alright with that level of medical care getting to him immediately. I’ve heard of instances where people make a complete recovery after something like this with far less resources on-hand, who also weren’t NFL athletes…

Sebastian S

I have a feeling it was not caused by that play.

Either a pre existing conditions or something that developed at a later stage they did not catch.

Just looking back at Max, if not for covid, they wouldn't have caught his heart condition right?

Hoping he pulls through!