• The KillerFrogs

Coaching changes after this season?

Horny4TCU

Are we really discussing how good Texas Tech is compared to Rice and Old Dominion? [ What the heck? ]?
Okay, I think my point has been missed. No doubt Tech would beat Rice and ODU. However, I would argue that both Rice and ODU would be able to score more than 14 points.

TX_Krötenechse

Here’s another way to think about things. If Anderson, Burns, and Sharp were not employed by TCU ... what school would hire them? Would ANY P5 school employ them?

Gary’s loyalty to his coaches is laudable. But having assistants on staff for 10+ years means that those coaches never got competitive offers from other schools or opportunities to advance to coordinator or HC jobs.

Coaches like Bumpas who stay despite interest from other schools and potential to be HC somewhere are exceptional. The three coaches on our staff mentioned above are not in that league.

(And yes i know that Anderson and Burns were coordinators at TCU. But we all know how that worked out)

Eight

He didn't play Big 12 teams week in week out, but Clemson, Wisconsin, Baylor, Utah, BYU, and apparently the Air Force (with their dreaded triple option).

no i mean issues in the offensive line etc....... fuente for 2009 and 2010 had an experienced and talented offensive line, an experienced starting quarterback who is in the nfl, talent at running back and talent at wide receiver

in 2011 he was breaking in a new quarterback, but once again had the benefit of an experienced offensive line.

which of the 3 offensive lines that fuente had during his time as oc is comparable to the unit that has played since cordel went down against texas

no i mean issues in the offensive line etc....... fuente for 2009 and 2010 had an experienced and talented offensive line, an experienced starting quarterback who is in the nfl, talent at running back and talent at wide receiver

in 2011 he was breaking in a new quarterback, but once again had the benefit of an experienced offensive line.

which of the 3 offensive lines that fuente had during his time as oc is comparable to the unit that has played since cordel went down against texas
The 2011 OL was so thin they had a 270 pound converted tight end named Robert Deck playing right tackle the entire season.

Eight

The 2011 OL was so thin they had a 270 pound converted tight end named Robert Deck playing right tackle the entire season.

we are so thin we have two seniors who don't have 20 games played between them starting yesterday and have only a red-shirt freshmen as an option

do you want to compare the other four members of the 2011 line with the 2018 line especially the interior line

Horny4TCU

we are so thin we have two seniors who don't have 20 games played between them starting yesterday and have only a red-shirt freshmen as an option

do you want to compare the other four members of the 2011 line with the 2018 line especially the interior line
So then, injuries aside, which coach is responsible for not developing two seniors?

Edit: Or recruiting two seniors that can't be developed?

Point being it was not a great unit but he found a way to still get good offensive performance. But no, as to the interior of the line, I don't think I have ever seen guard play as poor as what we have had since CI was injured. They don't block anything.

Eight

So then, injuries aside, which coach is responsible for not developing two seniors?

not a simple answer. gaynor is a juco who was recruited by anderson and not played a great deal and red-shirted.

elliott was recruited by anderson and has been hit by injuries a big portion of his career at tcu.

effectively anderson was "fired" from coaching the offensive line when he was moved to receivers

Eight

Point being it was not a great unit but he found a way to still get good offensive performance. But no, as to the interior of the line, I don't think I have ever seen guard play as poor as what we have had since CI was injured. They don't block anything.

which goes back to a basic concept being that when you can't even anchor the center of your line and effectively block basic run plays and provide pass protection it is a tough go breaking in young quarterbacks.

PO Frog

which goes back to a basic concept being that when you can't even anchor the center of your line and effectively block basic run plays and provide pass protection it is a tough go breaking in young quarterbacks.
Not a ton of plays in the playbook that are designed specifically to work with zero blocking. Maybe we should draw up some new plays that exploit 4 unblocked players?

Eight

Not a ton of plays in the playbook that are designed specifically to work with zero blocking. Maybe we should draw up some new plays that exploit 4 unblocked players?

maybe that is why the screen worked so well.

i did notice the second time they tried to run the screen the substituted mcmillon for felton. anyone notice if they did that the first time?

Is someone saying something different? Maybe I missed it. Yes, it is tough to play QB when the OL doesn't block and that is true even with experience. There are no plays that you can call which don't require blocking which is why I continually complained on here about OL recruiting and the lack of an OL coach for two years when we had a grad assistant coaching the OL and the one disastrous year that they let Anderson try to do it by himself before finally going out and getting an actual OL coach.

TCU_backer

not a simple answer. gaynor is a juco who was recruited by anderson and not played a great deal and red-shirted.

elliott was recruited by anderson and has been hit by injuries a big portion of his career at tcu.

effectively anderson was "fired" from coaching the offensive line when he was moved to receivers

Now look at our WR play and tell me Anderson is not a problem that has been moved all over this coaching staff.

Eight

Is someone saying something different? Maybe I missed it. Yes, it is tough to play QB when the OL doesn't block and that is true even with experience. There are no plays that you can call which don't require blocking which is why I continually complained on here about OL recruiting and the lack of an OL coach for two years when we had a grad assistant coaching the OL and the one disastrous year that they let Anderson try to do it by himself before finally going out and getting an actual OL coach.

i think there are some who believe the problems on the offense begin and end at quarterback.

it will be very interesting to see if any of the young offensive linemen play in the last few games of the season

Eight

Now look at our WR play and tell me Anderson is not a problem that has been moved all over this coaching staff.

that is a different issue and i haven't defended anderson and have said i do believe cumbie has been handcuffed in regards to his offensive staff

Horny4TCU

I think the majority of this board agrees that Anderson is a weak link and needs to go... The bigger question, will Gary make that change and replace him with a talented coach? I think the majority know he won't, but that he should if he ever wants to win a natty.