• The KillerFrogs

Build the left field porch NOW

Deep Purple

We are entitled to the worst seats, but a seat at that. Outfield fulfills both of those requirements.

Just last year I was thanked for attending by the people who use the clickers, but now we are not good enough?
I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. Students get general admission seating, just like any other fan who pays for a GA ticket -- except that unlike them, you don't pay. You get admitted via your student ID. This entitles you to a seat. Whether it's the "worst seats" depends entirely on how early you arrive to stake out your seating, just like all other GA ticket-holders.

You're arguing for special access and seating for students. Fine. I was only wondering how your being a student entitles you to that?

I think if we continue to have such great student attendance (1326 according to last night's tweet) then we should definitely designate a section in the main grandstand for the students to have general admission. As a season ticket holder, I enjoyed having the students fill in where the other season ticket holders didn't/couldn't show up.

However, there were some problems with baseball etiquette that should be addressed. Getting up every other batter, standing in the aisle to chat with friends, using a beer can as a spittoon (really dipping in the stands is gross in general), looking annoyed when a season ticket holder shows up to sit in his seat, and repeatedly dropping the f-bomb in front of my nine-year old were all problems that I encountered last night. Of course, it was only a few people that actually did these things, but that's all it takes to make the experience frustrating.

I think it will just take some adjustments to the new interest in TCU Baseball before we get the kinks worked out. It's a great problem to have.

Deep Purple

I think if we continue to have such great student attendance (1326 according to last night's tweet) then we should definitely designate a section in the main grandstand for the students to have general admission. As a season ticket holder, I enjoyed having the students fill in where the other season ticket holders didn't/couldn't show up.

I have no problem with a special section designated for students as long as students show up to fill it. Fact is, I think it's a good idea.

I just don't understand the argument that it's a student entitlement. Exactly what entitles students to this?

froginaustin

I have no problem with a special section designated for students as long as students show up to fill it. Fact is, I think it's a good idea.

I just don't understand the argument that it's a student entitlement. Exactly what entitles students to this?
$30k+ per year tuition?

Maybe it should be an entitlement for tuition-paying parents or financial aid providers. :laugh:

I'd rather have seats in right field than left field. It's not a coincidence this team doesn't have much left-handed hitting. Right field at Lupton is where homeruns go to die, especially in the early spring when we get winds out of the south in the evening. I say move the fence in to 315, add about two feet to the wall from the scoreboard to the foul pole, move the light pole back, and squeeze in as many rows as you can comfortably fit. I think it would be perfect and everyone on the hill would love to sit out there.

Also, move the student section to the first base side so the visitors can hear all the noises like they do in every other sport.

Yeah as I mentioned - tuition. Everything is advertised as free, but you are paying for it whether you use it or not. To advertise that "students get in free to all TCU home games", we ought to have more than just a few seats available.

Obviously I care quite a bit more than the average student. I was even there this summer waiting outside for an hour + to welcome them back from Omaha. I don't think even Maniac did that and I did not notice any other students.

Deep Purple

You aren't paying for it. TCU is non-profit. Your tuition covers only 70% of the cost of your education, so you're 30% subsidized even if you pay full price, which most don't. About 80% of TCU students are on financial aid, which is a further subsidy. In other words, every student is 30-100% subsidized by the university. Exactly what in this scenario makes you feel TCU further owes you the seating of your choice in Lupton?

You might reconsider that entitlement mentality before graduation. Once you leave the sheltered confines of TCU, you'll find that the real world doesn't feel it owes you anything.

Deep Purple

Wow you could not be more off-base (no pun :biggrin:). Students are on the field, why not have students in the stands?

Whether on the field or in the stands, the students in both locations are still being financially subsidized from 30% to 100% by the university. Put another way, you're getting a private education at 0% to 70% of its true cost. TCU is doing that for you. What else do you think TCU owes you?

If you'd made your pitch for a designated student section along the lines of "This is a great idea whose time has come; TCU should do this" you'd have had me right right in your corner. Instead, you came on with that entitlement attitude of "We deserve this; TCU owes it to us," and well... there you just lost me. TCU doesn't owe you anything beyond free admission to a baseball game. That's exactly what you're getting.

So you wanna rethink that approach? Because you really do have a great idea. It's only your salesmanship that sucks.

I guess I didn't think I had to sell anyone on the idea of having student seating at a college game. Basketball would do anything to get students to the game...

I don't see what is wrong with feeling entitled. It's time to prepare for the future. If you don't get students excited now they won't come back later when they can buy season tickets or make donations.

amfurman10

I guess I didn't think I had to sell anyone on the idea of having student seating at a college game. Basketball would do anything to get students to the game...

I don't see what is wrong with feeling entitled. It's time to prepare for the future. If you don't get students excited now they won't come back later when they can buy season tickets or make donations.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

TheSheik

Jesus pete, cry me a river brah

swimmerbabe11

This thread is stupid.

College Sports are supposed to be for students first...that's why they began playing them.
There needs to be more general admit seating..and seating. You can't see the home plate from most of the hill, so it doesn't count as real seating.

also THIS!!!

Getting up every other batter, standing in the aisle to chat with friends, using a beer can as a spittoon (really dipping in the stands is gross in general), looking annoyed when a season ticket holder shows up to sit in his seat,