• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

82 Frog Fever

Wonder if this will affect the pac tv offers

I tried to answer this the other day, and was completely wrong, so I deleted it.

I completely missed the attached. It appears CW is streamed nationwide on YouTube and they are using their new streaming capabilities for nationwide coverage of football & other sports.

They could possibly be the main streaming and regional provider on the PAC media deal.

I wonder just how big of a move into college football they’re planning to make.

Attachments

• IMG_4408.jpeg
    IMG_4408.jpeg
    824.5 KB · Views: 11

Limey Frog

I tried to answer this the other day, and was completely wrong, so I deleted it.

I completely missed the attached. It appears CW is streamed nationwide on YouTube and they are using their new streaming capabilities for nationwide coverage of football & other sports.

They could possibly be the main streaming and regional provider on the PAC media deal.

I wonder just how big of a move into college football they’re planning to make.
That is interesting...

Marchand has said a few times something to the effect that "the Pac keeps hinting at a streaming partner but no one can tell me who that is, most likely AppleTV".

Recently, that gas-bag at WSU, Schultz, has been saying that the deal will be "creative, forward-thinking," will "surprise people" and be "worth the wait".

Could both of these be accounted for by a prospective deal with CW plus getting the Pac 12 Networks added to YouTubeTV? I think Apple still seems the more likely explanation, but the recent delays and cryptic hints do suggest that something unusual is being worked on and that the more desperate parties involved have convinced themselves that it's totally awesome.

Eight

That is interesting...

Marchand has said a few times something to the effect that "the Pac keeps hinting at a streaming partner but no one can tell me who that is, most likely AppleTV".

Recently, that gas-bag at WSU, Schultz, has been saying that the deal will be "creative, forward-thinking," will "surprise people" and be "worth the wait".

Could both of these be accounted for by a prospective deal with CW plus getting the Pac 12 Networks added to YouTubeTV? I think Apple still seems the more likely explanation, but the recent delays and cryptic hints do suggest that something unusual is being worked on and that the more desperate parties involved have convinced themselves that it's totally awesome.

we have youtube tv and i don't recall seeing it, maybe i removed it from the guide as there is a bunch of crap i have weeded out of their lineup

HG73

Yes, this from Tramel addresses your revenue sharing mention.
I don’t see how you add a team in which so many ADs & Presidents don’t believe.

. @BerryTramel on the possibility of the #Big12 adding UConn:
"Two things, one is I will be surprised if Gonzaga / UConn are added, particularly UConn because they'd be a part of the football package. I have not found much support on the campus level for Connecticut. If the Big 12 expands with Power Five programs, like the Four Corner schools or any Pac-12 school, then the television contract is prorated and every school is still going to get paid the same amount. That is not the truth for anyone from outside of the Power Five. You're asking Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, and Baylor to take a haircut if you add UConn. You could add a diluted share in their pocket but do you want to? Connecticut football is nothing like Cincinnati, Houston, BYU, or UCF. Nothing like it. Those four schools, without Power Five resources, have built themselves up, have found a way to generate money to mostly keep up in facilitates, to be very competitive, and to make a national brand for themselves. Connecticut has not. The facilities are waning, the support is non-existent, and the brand is nothing. There is nothing to get excited about for Connecticut football. I know Brett Yormark loves basketball. The ADs, I know, don't want Connecticut. Maybe the presidents can be talked into it. And maybe Yormark has a financial for deep into the future for the addition to pay off but I'm skeptical about it. I talked to an AD and the Big 12 ADs do their research, it's not just off their head opinions. Connecticut gets about a $50 million dollar subsidy from the university at-large and the AD said all it takes is for one president to not want to do that anymore and then they're $50 million in the hole and you're stuck with them. What do you do?"
BY has said repeatedly that he will only add teams that are additive, not subtractive. Or something. The TV suits set the value of each team. They have told BY. He knows. Maybe he's just trying to get the four corners teams to move. Or he structures the deal so all the rest of us make mo money. Or he's just queer for basketball. I don't know. But I trust in God, luck, BY and Sonny.

YA

That is interesting...

Right now Nexstar is in carriage dispute with Direct Tv and others. CW channel 33 is not available in DFW and most sports bars, etc.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Shifting from burgers to chicken sandwiches...

"Milton Friedman. Paging Milton Friedman..."

Some years ago, there was a big announcement that they were growing lettuce on the ISS. Sure enough, they had video of some lovely lettuce happily growing in one of the modules. I joked with someone connected with space that progress is being made, and that they'd know when the journey was ended when they could make a Caesar Salad from things grown in orbit... (Gerard K. O'Neill. Paging Gerard K. O'Neill...)

Limey Frog

Some interesting comments from Brock Huard in the first ten minutes here. He says that the major networks seem to have lost trust that Pac 12 administrators are sufficiently invested in football to make it worth their while paying for rights to those games at the level the Pac office is trying to negotiate for. Then he goes on to say that Colorado's administrators are stuck in a game of chicken not wanting to get the blame for the Pac dying entirely.

Is this the week we finally get some answers on this? Kliavkoff can't hide any more come Friday: he either gets public and specific about the deal or else it becomes obvious that the money isn't there.

That said, this thing has dragged on so long at this point that your safest bet is to anticipate it dragging on further.

Hemingway

Some interesting comments from Brock Huard in the first ten minutes here. He says that the major networks seem to have lost trust that Pac 12 administrators are sufficiently invested in football to make it worth their while paying for rights to those games at the level the Pac office is trying to negotiate for. Then he goes on to say that Colorado's administrators are stuck in a game of chicken not wanting to get the blame for the Pac dying entirely.

Is this the week we finally get some answers on this? Kliavkoff can't hide any more come Friday: he either gets public and specific about the deal or else it becomes obvious that the money isn't there.

That said, this thing has dragged on so long at this point that your safest bet is to anticipate it dragging on further.

If Colorado and Arizona join then the UConn discussion is over. Hope it happens.

CountryFrog

Is this the week we finally get some answers on this?
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Purp

If Colorado and Arizona join then the UConn discussion is over. Hope it happens.
I'm not so sure this is true. The way Yormark seems to have a hard on for UConn I wouldn't be shocked if he decided to take all 3. And if the networks have, indeed, agreed to pay full share for UConn if they get added I don't see why it would be a bad move. It's the B1G/SEC model. Cupcakes in the conference schedule and cupcakes in the non-con schedule. UConn adds another needed cupcake to the conference football slate since Kansas is trying to actually play football now. And then for the basketball vision, this could be enormous.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
I'm not so sure this is true. The way Yormark seems to have a hard on for UConn I wouldn't be shocked if he decided to take all 3. And if the networks have, indeed, agreed to pay full share for UConn if they get added I don't see why it would be a bad move. It's the B1G/SEC model. Cupcakes in the conference schedule and cupcakes in the non-con schedule. UConn adds another needed cupcake to the conference football slate since Kansas is trying to actually play football now. And then for the basketball vision, this could be enormous.

Yormark wants to increase TCU's presence in the New York/New England market.

Basketball is king in New England--during my high school days in RI, my CYO basketball games drew bigger crowds than the HS football games.

Purp

Yormark wants to increase TCU's presence in the New York/New England market.

Basketball is king in New England--during my high school days in RI, my CYO basketball games drew bigger crowds than the HS football games.
The more I hear him talk about it the more this strategy makes sense. The unintended consequence that benefits football is a cupcake on the schedule (like Rutgers), but I agree with your assessment that he wants that TV market and he really wants it for basketball. Eventually selling basketball TV rights separately from football could be a big boon for the B12 and UConn would amplify that financial impact.

Eight

don't trust the very network that brokered texas and ou out of the big 12 and into the sec

espn damaged the brand of the big 12 by moving out the two biggest brands and now comes bearing uconn? the question is why?

the sec didn't add cupcakes to the conference and the perception is the conference gets tougher and tougher with each addition and not weaker which adding uconn in football is period

rutgers was added to the big 10 as a way to get the big 10 network into the new york market to gain at that time valuable carriage fees

the big 12 is already viewed as an elite basketball conference without uconn, houston and cincy were strong additions and i would rather add az than unconn as az brings a strong basketball brand, better ceiling in football, depth in other sports, and makes more sense for conference positioning

if the mouse is pushing uconn the question is why?