• The KillerFrogs

Baylor vs TCU Rivalry Name

Kaiser

Okay, here's my attempt to name the rivalry.

The Old Firm Football Classic. (or some variation)

Since TCU & Baylor are 1st & 3rd oldest univerities in Texas who play football.

University founded:
1) Baylor- 1845
2) aTm- 1871
3) TCU- 1873
4) Texas- 1883
5) SMU- 1911
6) Rice- 1912
7) TxTech- 1923
8) Houston- 1927

First started playing football
1) Texas- 1893
2) aTm- 1894
3) TCU- 1896
4) Baylor- 1899
5) Rice- 1912
6) SMU- 1915
7) TxTech- 1925
8) Houston- 1946

My source was Wikipedia, so don't shoot me if these numbers are wrong.

It needs to be the "100 year War". And since Joan of Ark was a pivotal figure of the first 100 Year War the Trophy should be a statue of her in her suite of armor with an up held sword. Upon that sword the winner can impale either a stuffed frog or a stuffed bear.

I have Googled it and I cannot find two other schools using it.

Just not the Revivalry, please Lord not the Revivalry. I cannot think of a more hokey pokey pathetic name than that. It implies the game has been revived, and nothing can be further from the truth.

If that is the best the powers-that-be can do then leave it un-named.

Endless Purple

Revivalry is not good - too religious in a not especially good way.

Texas Holy War - complete rip off, as Jewstfrogit said

I like the Hundred Years' War suggested. Many schools use battle references, but I don't think any use this particular one.

Have to see about other ideas to add

TCUdirtbag

List of FBS & FCS Rivalries:
http://en.wikipedia....l_rivalry_games

Some are just awful. Others repetitive. I don't love the name "revivlary," but it's 100x better than a lot of those. It's someone relevant, and it's simple. At least it's far better than the "Battle for the Iron Skillet" -- which is really a pro-SMU/anti-TCU name (if you know the whole frog legs story).

There are:
- 3 "Battle of the Bell"s
- "Crab Bowl" (thought it would be a Tech rivalry, but that would be "crabs" bowl)
- Farmageddon (ISU, KSU--yes, really)
- Keg of Nails
- But, I think "Battle for the Iron Skillet" is by far the worst FBS rivalry / trophy name

Edit: the Mizzou-ISU 'Telephone Trophy" may be the worst.

List of FBS & FCS Rivalries:
http://en.wikipedia....l_rivalry_games

Some are just awful. Others repetitive. I don't love the name "revivlary," but it's 100x better than a lot of those. It's someone relevant, and it's simple. At least it's far better than the "Battle for the Iron Skillet" -- which is really a pro-SMU/anti-TCU name (if you know the whole frog legs story).

There are:
- 3 "Battle of the Bell"s
- "Crab Bowl" (thought it would be a Tech rivalry, but that would be "crabs" bowl)
- Farmageddon (ISU, KSU--yes, really)
- Keg of Nails
- But, I think "Battle for the Iron Skillet" is by far the worst FBS rivalry / trophy name

Edit: the Mizzou-ISU 'Telephone Trophy" may be the worst.

The 100 Year War was not listed. I rest my case.

TCUdirtbag

The 100 Year War was not listed. I rest my case.

It's fine I guess, but it would be better if it made sense. It's been played 107 times. It's 113 years old. And it will only get more and more unfitting as time passes.

It's like people that name their child after objects. Sounds cool at the time, but it's really weird when they get older (e.g., a child named "Apple").

G

Ghost of UPub

A rivalry name should reflect something about the schools, the area, something that is unique to the game.

Who doesn't think of UTEP and New Mexico State when you here the words "I-10 Battle"? Actually I think of driving on the Katy Freeway and does it get any better than the Boise State - Idaho Rivalry Game.

Naming this thing should go the way of those crappy t-shirts sold by the book store. If it is the rivalry some say doesn't TCU v Baylor say all we need to get the competitive juices flowing?

Frogenstein

Okay, here's my attempt to name the rivalry.

The Old Firm Football Classic. (or some variation)

Since TCU & Baylor are 1st & 3rd oldest univerities in Texas who play football.

University founded:
1) Baylor- 1845
2) aTm- 1871
3) TCU- 1873
4) Texas- 1883
5) SMU- 1911
6) Rice- 1912
7) TxTech- 1923
8) Houston- 1927

First started playing football
1) Texas- 1893
2) aTm- 1894
3) TCU- 1896
4) Baylor- 1899
5) Rice- 1912
6) SMU- 1915
7) TxTech- 1925
8) Houston- 1946

My source was Wikipedia, so don't shoot me if these numbers are wrong.
Texas A&M was founded in 1876 not 1871.

It's fine I guess, but it would be better if it made sense. It's been played 107 times. It's 113 years old. And it will only get more and more unfitting as time passes.

It's like people that name their child after objects. Sounds cool at the time, but it's really weird when they get older (e.g., a child named "Apple").

I can't argue with you because that is the main reason I don't like "The Revivalry". The root word is revival which indicates something has been revived. In the case of Baylor vs TCU nothing could be further from the truth. After three years that will lose it's meaning too. I really think everyone should be quiet and let a name emerge.

But I can't resist this one last thought. Since both schools once shared Waco and Waco had the nickname of "Six Shooter Junction" on the Chisholm Trail why not just call the game "The Chisholm Gunfight" and the Trophy be an antique Colt Peacemaker 45, the gun that won the West.

I know it is close to what Kansas State and Texas use but who made a law that only they can use the word Chisholm?

TCUdirtbag

I can't argue with you because that is the main reason I don't like "The Revivalry". The root word is revival which indicates something has been revived. In the case of Baylor vs TCU nothing could be further from the truth. After three years that will lose it's meaning too. I really think everyone should be quiet and let a name emerge.

But I can't resist this one last thought. Since both schools once shared Waco and Waco had the nickname of "Six Shooter Junction" on the Chisholm Trail why not just call the game "The Chisholm Gunfight" and the Trophy be an antique Colt Peacemaker 45, the gun that won the West.

I know it is close to what Kansas State and Texas use but who made a law that only they can use the word Chisholm?

Whoever came up with the "revivalry" was certainly using "revival" in the religious context. I think everyone understands that, and I don't think anyone would confuse it to mean the yearly meeting between the two had been "revived."

I do like the line of thinking and name "Chisolm Gunfight" much better, though. I see no problem tracing the rivalry back to our common roots in Waco. It gives us another reason to blame/thank them for burning down our campus there, and we would've been in Waco when the rivalry started, so I think it makes a lot of sense.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Considering the folklore surrounding the fire on the original TCU campus being attributed to Baylor Baptists (it was officially ruled an accident that began in the building's attic) and the 100+ year tradition of playing Baylor, I think this is by far the one rivalry the older alumns are excited to see return. T-shirt fans won't understand.

G

Ghost of UPub

I don't think there are too many alumni alive tired who remember the fire, we started in Ft. Worth and actually started the urban flight out of the hole called Waco before everyone else living there go smart, and as I said before I can't recall many if anyone I knew who really got that fired up about us playing Baylor back in the early 80's.

Tom Brown

How bout just another big 12 matchup? Until Baylor can compete for a championship, who the hell cares?

How about Lose and you go to Hell?

The Lose, and We HAVE to beat Tech bowl.

Screw Baylor, they'll only beat us every 5-7 years.