• The KillerFrogs

Baylor vs TCU Rivalry Name

My Buddy Steve

Actually, that one's called the Red River Shootout. And I don't agree that a name alone makes a rivalry, much less makes it a "big deal." Lots of so-called "rivalries" are contrived purely for marketing purposes and are dubbed with catchy, manufactured names to "sell" them. Not a big deal at all. It's just marketing.

An authentic rivalry arises naturally, from a history of grassroots-based competitive attention. If it ever develops a name at all, it's a name that suggests the heritage of the rivalry -- not what some PR firm or marketing department thinks will sell tickets or heighten broadcast interest.

I don't like the name "Rivivalry." It's fine for Baylor, which is closely associated with evangelical Christianity. It doesn't work for TCU, where the church affiliation is much looser and is not evangelical in nature. I say this as one who has been affiliated with the evangelical wing of the Christian church for more than 40 years. Not all Christians are evangelical. It may be Baylor, but it's not TCU.
Whatever happened in that fight between Brite and Tcu over who donations were designated to?

TAINTed frog

It's fine I guess, but it would be better if it made sense. It's been played 107 times. It's 113 years old. And it will only get more and more unfitting as time passes.

It's like people that name their child after objects. Sounds cool at the time, but it's really weird when they get older (e.g., a child named "Apple").

Naming your child after a fruit never sounds cool. (mating between GDU & Native Frog) apple? More chlorine in the gene pool please.

Really like the substitute for the F word.

Also, gwynth paltrow bothers me. And, not that great looking.

Endless Purple

It's fine I guess, but it would be better if it made sense. It's been played 107 times. It's 113 years old. And it will only get more and more unfitting as time passes.

It's like people that name their child after objects. Sounds cool at the time, but it's really weird when they get older (e.g., a child named "Apple").
The hundred years war lasted more than 100 years.

Ron Swanson

Whoever came up with the "revivalry" was certainly using "revival" in the religious context. I think everyone understands that, and I don't think anyone would confuse it to mean the yearly meeting between the two had been "revived."

Not me

I assumed it was implying that the rivalry had gone away with the dissolution of the SWC, and now it is being revived.

No religious tone even entered my mind until I read this thread

Ron Swanson

And put me in the camp of people who doesn't think we need to come up with a rivalry name. That's so JV

If a name happens, it happens. Nothing worse than a bunch of people trying to prove they're bigtime so they come up with a name. Reminds me of George Costanza trying to nickname himself T-Bone.

And yes, "The Red River Shootout" is no longer technically called that Deep. I guess they thought it might encourage the use of guns or some BS.

My blood never boils when we play Baylor. If they are our rivals, fine, I still don't care one iota about them. I don't understand why so many people get excited about the Bears because they have never had a great team. Arguably, their best team ever beat us by two points, wow, and we should of won in my mind.

Our natural rival will come over time, not be forced upon us. Something crazy will happen, in the game or not. Maybe several close games in a row, nobody knows what it is that will start a rivalry.

G

Ghost of UPub

Ron you genius that is the name!!!!!!

The "T-Bone Bowl". A name foisted upon a game that just really doesn't fit no matter how hard you try to make it work.

Deep Purple

Both schools are the only private, small universities in the conference, so we two are rivals for the same recruits, for scoreboard bragging rights, for best facilities, and a lot more. We also share a private school's educational agenda, arguably more closely than does any other institution in the conference.BU and TCU were even, at one time, co-located. We have played them more times than anyone else has, or anyone else has played us. Neither school is so august as to develop an arrogant UT-style attitude towards any of the other fellow conference mates. Any one sub-set of fans may want to beat some other university worse than we all do Baylor. And nearly everyone at all the schools wants to beat UT the most. UT will only wants to beat OU the most. As far as reciprocated, prime rivalries go, aside from OU-UT, there is only the prime rivalry of beating the other in-state school that is naturally created.

Problem is, there are more than two Texas schools in the Big-12, so a naturally occurring, RECIPROCATED rival is problematical as UT is the focus for the other three, and the feeling is not returned. It is what it is. For the reasons stated in the first paragraph, we have more in common with BU than UT or Tech. A natural, RECIPROCATED, prime rivalry may develop for those historical reasons.

Being that we're both church afilliated schools, and being that we Frogs have a hard- earned "revival" of our state and national prestige as a sports program, and have renewed/ revived our conference afilliation with the better schools in Texas, and being that we shared a conference with them for a span of 72 years, our minor distinguishing factors of faith doctrine may not be seen as enough for the national media to avoid a handy handle for the 108th meeting (and beyond) of BU and TCU...henceforth, as confernce rivals. Maybe not THE rivals of either institution, but certainly rivals.

"Revivalry" just may be too tempting a term; it may stick no matter what various individual fans think. When I graduated in 1967 and entered active military service elsewhere, I returned here to the term "metroplex". Nobody asked my permission to use it, or even what I thought of it, but it seems to have stuck. Also, we had no TCU hand sign either, but I got used to one pretty quickly. Things just happen, with or without us.

Any name that requires that much explanation to justify it will never even catch on -- much less stick.

Genbukan

Okay, here's my attempt to name the rivalry.

The Old Firm Football Classic. (or some variation)

Since TCU & Baylor are 1st & 3rd oldest univerities in Texas who play football.

University founded:
1) Baylor- 1845
2) aTm- 1871
3) TCU- 1873
4) Texas- 1883
5) SMU- 1911
6) Rice- 1912
7) TxTech- 1923
8) Houston- 1927

First started playing football
1) Texas- 1893
2) aTm- 1894
3) TCU- 1896
4) Baylor- 1899
5) Rice- 1912
6) SMU- 1915
7) TxTech- 1925
8) Houston- 1946

My source was Wikipedia, so don't shoot me if these numbers are wrong.

I know your going for Div. 1 schools but I feel like I have to represent for the little guys -

Austin College (now in Sherman) was founded in 1849 in Huntsville and Trinity University (now in San Antonio) was founded in 1869 in Tehuacana, Tx.

TAINTed frog

I know your going for Div. 1 schools but I feel like I have to represent for the little guys -

Austin College (now in Sherman) was founded in 1849 in Huntsville and Trinity University (now in San Antonio) was founded in 1869 in Tehuacana, Tx.

And the oldest university in Texas, Southwestern founded in 1840 originally as rutersville college.

Frogcrates

Oh great... way to go "Alex in Plano." Now you've got David Ubben behind it. This actually does seem like the type of name that he would love. He'll probably start working it in between each of his 50,000 mentions of the "campus-wide drug distribution ring that involved numerous football players."

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/51637/mailbag-ou-hype-wvu-backlash-rivalry

"Alex in Plano, Texas, writes: The new name for the Baylor - TCU rivalry: The Revivalry. What do you think?

DU: This is the first I've seen of it, but I really love it. There's no love lost between those two programs and their fans, and it's a pretty catchy name with a very clear meaning. I'm behind this. I'll start using it on the blog for sure."

Borisblue

Surely I'm not the only one who loves this name? It's clever, catchy, and ties in to the unique heritage of both schools.

I love how the word "revival" has three meanings here: the continuation of a game that has been put on hiatus, the religious reference, and the pun on the word "rival".

I think it's good branding if we have a named Big 12 rivalry, especially if it's a name that rolls off the tongue as easily as the Revivalry. It increases TCU's profile in the consciousness of sports media and sports fans nationwide. Definitely a good thing.

As mentioned previously, the concept of revival is more strongly associated with Baptists and Pentacostals, but it is also a feature of American protestantism in general. Names like "100 year war" aren't compelling to me, because it doesn't say anything unique about the schools. Every meaningful rivalry in college football has been going on for a hundred years.

I'm going to start using "Revivalry" at every opportunity. Though I only post once a year, so y'all probably won't notice.

Sup Frog

...having a name means that it is a "big deal".

If beating Baylor is a "big deal" then we've got big problems. Baylor sucks. They had one fluke year last year largely due to one player and have otherwise been the doormat of the Big 12. Time to raise the bar.

McFroggin

The Toadally Bear Bowl would get immediately picked up by the media. It would spread like wild fire.

It would probably piss off Baylor alums.

Win-Win!!!