• The KillerFrogs

Baltimore Sun: Catching Up With ... former Colts RB Norm Bulaich

Leap Frog

When I saw him turn corners for the Frosh against the North Texas freshmen in '65, I would have bet Frogs would win NC with him and Ross. If you want a comparison, picture Boo as L.T. before we knew about L.T.

2314@work

Contributor
norm-bulaich-colts.jpg

Baltimore Sun: Catching Up With ... former Colts RB Norm Bulaich

Posted by Mike Klingaman

He had a funny name, a Texas drawl and churning legs that chewed up yardage. Remember Norm Bulaich, the Baltimore Colts' star running back in their run to the January 1971 Super Bowl? He turns 65 on Christmas. Bulaich can't believe it, either.

When he signed up for Medicare, he told the clerk: "I don't feel 65. Will you check it out?"

She did. He was.

The Colts' top draft choice 41 years ago, Bulaich caught on quick: He led Baltimore in rushing as a rookie. Bulaich (rhymes with goulash) sparkled in the playoffs, gaining 187 total yards in successive victories over the Cincinnati Bengals and Oakland Raiders. Then came Super Bowl V, where the Colts defeated the Dallas Cowboys, 16-13, on a field goal with five seconds left. ...
Top, thanks for posting this. Loved reading this article. And loved reading everyone's comments.
Thanks as always for devoting your early-morning free time to post interesting and informative articles concerning TCU.

Riff Ram

I remember a basketball pickup game at the little gym, and how surprised everyone was to see the oft-injured NB enter the gym and take his sweats off. He entered the game, someone passed him the ball right away, he raised his arm quickly to try to snare the high pass--and immediately left the game with a severe muscle pull.

Never saw him in there again.

He was injured constantly during his Frog carreer--a real shame, because we all had seen him enough in practice and the occasional game to know he was as good as any back in the country.

His backfield mate Ross montgomery had the really good career at TCU (and in the pros too)because he was not injury prone. what a shame the TCU coaches couldn't figure out how to change Norm's workouts and and warm-ups to get him limber enough to play and stay healthy.

But the guy was an enormous talent. And a great pro. Glad he's still married to his TCU sweethart.

Wog68

When I saw him turn corners for the Frosh against the North Texas freshmen in '65, I would have bet Frogs would win NC with him and Ross. If you want a comparison, picture Boo as L.T. before we knew about L.T.

I was at that game because a life-long friend and former football and basketball teammate of mine from Indiana was playing RB for NTSU. Not only did we get to see probably the greatest Wog football squad ever for the first time, but also Mean Joe Green played his first game for NTSU!

sandiegojack

I was at TCU when Bulaich and Mongtomery came. I remember seeing them along with two of the defensive backs ( i think Mike Hall was one ), beat the varsity 4 x 100 team in a relay race on the track.

sdj

nrhfrog

Norm is a great guy. I lived down the street from him in Hurst for several years before moving to N.Richland Hills.

The first time I hung out my TCU flag he stopped and introduced himself and we had many "street side" discussions about TCU football each year while we lived there.

I still see him at community events in Northeast Tarrant County and at TCU events....a class guy all the way. In fact, the whole Bulaich family always seemed like very nice people. BTW, if I remember correctly, his son, Nick, went to TCU. He was a highly recruited running back at Richland H.S. where he set many records. Like his Dad, he was very quick.. Unfortunately, he had a severe injury early-on that knocked him out of football. Not sure if he ever got to play.

Leap Frog

I was at that game because a life-long friend and former football and basketball teammate of mine from Indiana was playing RB for NTSU. Not only did we get to see probably the greatest Wog football squad ever for the first time, but also Mean Joe Green played his first game for NTSU!

Someone else who was there was a georgeous cheer leader named Betty Buckley. The squad came up and sat for awhile close to me, and it was tough to concentrate on the game. Betty went on to Broadway and recording fame while I went on with the memory.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Boo was a work out freak and he was one big muscle. With Boo and Montgomery, both well over 200 lbs and ran faster than most sprinters, we should have accomplished more than we did.

Doubt many know what a Wog is now.

Doubt

Shorthorns, Cubs, Shoats, Owlettes, and Fish too.

Or that as a Wog you couldn't take off your purple beanie (shower, et al) until you won a game, or suffer the wrath of Ken Steele or some other mean SOB.

Frog DJ

Norm and I had several classes together, and those who called him a nice guy are exactly right.

He never acted as if he was the star of the football team, and he treated everyone with respect and kindness.

By the way - his older brother Larry had a nice TCU career, too.

My Dad always loved Larry's "rainbow halfback passes."

And the Frogs usually scored when he threw them. :biggrin:

Go Frogs! Do It Now!