• The KillerFrogs

Baltimore Sun: Catching Up With ... former Colts RB Norm Bulaich

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
norm-bulaich-colts.jpg

Posted by Mike Klingaman

He had a funny name, a Texas drawl and churning legs that chewed up yardage. Remember Norm Bulaich, the Baltimore Colts' star running back in their run to the January 1971 Super Bowl? He turns 65 on Christmas. Bulaich can't believe it, either.

When he signed up for Medicare, he told the clerk: “I don't feel 65. Will you check it out?”

She did. He was.

The Colts' top draft choice 41 years ago, Bulaich caught on quick: He led Baltimore in rushing as a rookie. Bulaich (rhymes with goulash) sparkled in the playoffs, gaining 187 total yards in successive victories over the Cincinnati Bengals and Oakland Raiders. Then came Super Bowl V, where the Colts defeated the Dallas Cowboys, 16-13, on a field goal with five seconds left. ...

purplepreacher

norm-bulaich-colts.jpg

Posted by Mike Klingaman

He had a funny name, a Texas drawl and churning legs that chewed up yardage. Remember Norm Bulaich, the Baltimore Colts' star running back in their run to the January 1971 Super Bowl? He turns 65 on Christmas. Bulaich can't believe it, either.

When he signed up for Medicare, he told the clerk: “I don't feel 65. Will you check it out?”

She did. He was.

The Colts' top draft choice 41 years ago, Bulaich caught on quick: He led Baltimore in rushing as a rookie. Bulaich (rhymes with goulash) sparkled in the playoffs, gaining 187 total yards in successive victories over the Cincinnati Bengals and Oakland Raiders. Then came Super Bowl V, where the Colts defeated the Dallas Cowboys, 16-13, on a field goal with five seconds left. ...
Wish had had done that against Arkansas(he did against UT). We'd had another NC.

BleedNPurple

Boo was injured a lot - he was a giant muscle and was continually pulling them. The Colts got him into swimming to stretch his muscles out and he was able to make entire seasons in the NFL.

oldscribe

Leap Frog has always said when he saw Boo run for the Wogs he thought TCU was going to win a NC.
Can you imagine a freshman team with Bulaich and Ross Montgomery as the RBs? He could also kick off a mile, but was too valuable to use on kOs....Best of all, he was always (and I'm sure still is) a very nice guy

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Wish had had done that against Arkansas(he did against UT). We'd had another NC.

When I was in high school, I was in a track meet at Farrington Field and there was a collegiate division as well. TCU was participating and I watched Bulaich run the 100 yard dash ( no 100 meters in those days ). He just blew away the competition and not by a small margin either. It was an impressive feat.

Boo was always hurt at TCU because they bulked him up too much and he had little flexibility. In fact he could not even bend over and touch his toes. Baltimore took a chance on him but made him get out of the weight room and into the swimming pool where he loosed up and got some flexibility. It helped save and extend his career.

jrawson

I'll never forget seeing Boo run thru Texas Tech defenders in AC stadium. I was his last year, 1970 I think. Ross was gone and Boo got an extra year after being hurt.
It seemed like about a 40 yard run to the goal line and about every defender got a shot at a tackle. They simply looked like bowling pins being desroyed by the biggest baddest bowling ball in the bowling alley. The only other time I saw something similar was when Earl Campbell was playing for the Oilers. I was stunned.
Since then My blood has been a little darker shade of purple.

Jim

Screaming Flea

Boo was a work out freak and he was one big muscle. With Boo and Montgomery, both well over 200 lbs and ran faster than most sprinters, we should have accomplished more than we did.

Doubt many know what a Wog is now.

Doubt

Tucson Frog

Can you imagine a freshman team with Bulaich and Ross Montgomery as the RBs? He could also kick off a mile, but was too valuable to use on kOs....Best of all, he was always (and I'm sure still is) a very nice guy

Amen too that. I can't remember him not being great both as a player and a nice guy. He was always spreading the good will even on crutches.

ricksterh

The article and this thread bring back a lot of good memories of those days. :cool:
Boo and that group were one year behind me at TCU. One story I like to tell is that while I was at TCU Texas never beat us in football. When people look at me funny and are trying to figure out when that was I explain that the Frogs beat Texas in Austin my sophomore year and my senior year 65 and 67 seasons. The other two years in Fort Worth the Horns were ahead and time ran out but they didn't beat us. :wink: My senior year I was at the game in Austin and Boo sat right behind me in the stands. He was hurt as several on here mentioned. That was a great dzy and a great weekend. :biggrin:

Filling

Recovered Workaholic
I'll never forget seeing Boo run thru Texas Tech defenders in AC stadium. I was his last year, 1970 I think. Ross was gone and Boo got an extra year after being hurt.
It seemed like about a 40 yard run to the goal line and about every defender got a shot at a tackle. They simply looked like bowling pins being desroyed by the biggest baddest bowling ball in the bowling alley. The only other time I saw something similar was when Earl Campbell was playing for the Oilers. I was stunned.
Since then My blood has been a little darker shade of purple.

Jim

One of my friends here in Tulsa played linebacker for Tech--and he claims he can still feel the hurt Boo put on him in that game.

ricksterh

Not sure if it's true but the story is when Boo was in hs at Lamarque they played Alvin in football. In that game Boo ran over a db several times for td's. After that game Nolan Ryan decided he better stick to baseball. :wink:

Latest posts