• The KillerFrogs

As crazy as it sounds, could we still make a BCS game?

RaiderHater

Today I was looking at the ranking and was thinking, we still have a shot (very long shot) to make a BCS game. Essentially we need 3 events to happen.

1. Win out and beat Boise on the road. This would make us MWC champions and DQ boise for an autobid.

2. Houston lose just 1 game. IMO a 10-2 TCU team will be ranked ahead of a 11-1 UH team considering a hypothetical win at Boise.

3. Have at least 1 conference champ from a AQ conference finish outside the top 16. It happened last year with Uconn and has happened many times before.

If we win out we could defintiely crack the top 16. In 2008 we were 10-2 and finished 11 in the BCS rankings. I know its a longshot, but all the events are very capable of happening. For you fans that know the BCS system well feel free to shot some holes in my theory. Or if you think i'm crazy let me know.

2314@work

Contributor
Today I was looking at the ranking and was thinking, we still have a shot (very long shot) to make a BCS game. Essentially we need 3 events to happen.

1. Win out and beat Boise on the road. This would make us MWC champions and DQ boise for an autobid.

2. Houston lose just 1 game. IMO a 10-2 TCU team will be ranked ahead of a 11-1 UH team considering a hypothetical win at Boise.

3. Have at least 1 conference champ from a AQ conference finish outside the top 16. It happened last year with Uconn and has happened many times before.

If we win out we could defintiely crack the top 16. In 2008 we were 10-2 and finished 11 in the BCS rankings. I know its a longshot, but all the events are very capable of happening. For you fans that know the BCS system well feel free to shot some holes in my theory. Or if you think i'm crazy let me know.
Yes, I believe this. I also believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and RSF being humble. :wacko:

IMAFROGDAD2

we are 1-0 in conference play. Job #1 is still to win the MW conference. Even if we lose to Boise State (and they end up in a BCS game), we are looking at a bowl game in Las Vegas. It's not the Rose Bowl, but it isn't Shreveport either.

RaiderHater

posts like this after loses to baylor and smu are what keeps me entertained on here :biggrin:

Ok, my title says could not we will. I'm a stats guy. Just saying if you look strictly at the stats, rankings, and BCS rules, its not that crazy that the possibility is there. I know after watching our team were not BCS caliber.

On a side note, if the current BCS rules were in place in 2005 we would have went to a BCS game. We finished 14th in the BCS rankings and FSU won the ACC and finished 23rd.

Froggle Rock

Boise State, and then the Vegas Bowl, are our "BCS" games for the remainder of this season.

Personally, I'm okay with Vegas. I love that place.

West Coast Johnny

poinsettia3.jpg

68WhiteSerBowl10in_jpg.jpg

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
We're not going to Vegas.

Bowl games are about maximizing matchups. The Independence Bowl signed on with the MWC knowing that TCU was a 3 hr drive away. Now, we're leaving the MWC, so this is their own shot at us. There's a couple schools that could send decent fan contingents to LV due to proximity, but there's only one that can help fill Independence Stadium. The only way we're not is if the MWC decides to dick with us one last time....in which case we're off to Albuquerque.

Stiff Arm Frog

Optimism like this is completely unwarranted after losing to Baylor and SMU. Let's focus on beating San Diego State, because I'm guessing they'll give us a complete game too.

HFrog1999

Let's just hope TCU wins Saturday. They're going to come up with something better than what they had against SMU to beat SDSU.

nayr150

Oh, I agree we have a chance, about a snowball's chance..., but it's still there. The problem with the comparison to the '08 losses is both teams we lost to (OU and Utah) ended up in the top 10 and in BCS games. Don't think BU and SMU will end up there. So, I think we also need BU and SMU to atleast finish ranked.

I've thought all season that, assuming we get bowl eligible, we would either go to a BCS game or to the Independence Bowl. Looking like Independence right now though.

Young and Horned

No chance in hell. Find it odd someone would actually try to justify a way we could still end up in a BCS bowl. We are sitting at 40-50th ranked? Boise would have to lose 3 games, even if we beat them, for us to pass them up. They still have a Top25 victory over GA. SMU would have to lose a game or two for us to pass them, which is possible. But let's face it, TCU isn't going to win the rest of their games. Our defense is not likely capable of stopping many offenses left on our schedule. So teams just have to figure out how to stop or dink and dunk, lameduck offense.

I put the odds at 10,000,000 to 1 that we make a BCS bowl.