• The KillerFrogs

Aggies complaing UT is breaking NCAA rules

jack the frog

We already have a 7 year contract with our old rival Arkansas. I don't really mean to hurt your feelings cause TCU is a good team. But there is a lot more credibility to beating a top SEC West team than there is to beating TCU. Just the way it is.

Aggies are concerned about the loss, plain and simple.
The credibility difference between TCU and arkansas right now is slim to none, marginal at best.

Big Frog II

Obscene%20Aggie.jpg
An Aggie and his date having a bang up time in Austin.

Houston Frog

Very weak. I guess that's why UT hasn't won in CS in the last 5 years or so.

Really? Cause I seem to remember cheering mightily for the Ags on Thanksgiving 2009..... only to be disappointed by the worst defense I've seen in years. That game was played in College Station

Makes me think this dude is a troll

TCURiggs

Really? Cause I seem to remember cheering mightily for the Ags on Thanksgiving 2009..... only to be disappointed by the worst defense I've seen in years. That game was played in College Station

Makes me think this dude is a troll

Yep. That was some of the worst tackling I've ever seen. I thought DeRuyter had that defense ironed out...then the Cotton Bowl happened.

NubomTurk

Tier 1
I wish I could remember the link to the ESPN blog I read last week, but it basically spelled out in the NCAA rule book why carrying high profile high school games on the UT network would be an NCAA violation. I'll try to find it.

Also, I hate to take Aggies 1 side on this issue, but he is absolutely correct. There is no good reason for teams like A&M, UT, OU, USC, Alabama, Oregon, Miami, Florida State, West Virginia, Clemson, Nebraska, Ohio State, Arizona State, Texas Tech....etc....etc....etc.... to schedule an out-of-conference game against a really good team like TCU that could beat you, but doesn't offer a whole lot of upside even if you should beat them. If the AP voters treated a win over TCU the same way they would if you beat.... say, Ohio State. Then the risk vs. reward would make it worthwhile. Perception is everything. It doesn't matter that I personally think a win vs. TCU is every bit as good as a win vs. Ohio State. Personally, I'm glad OU is playing TCU in 2012! I can't wait for that game! But it doesn't change the fact that TCU beating OU would carry more weight than OU beating TCU, in the mind of the retarded media. That is, unfortunately, the way it is.
Can't really argue with this, but I will add that this entire line of reasoning can be summarized as, "BUK buk-buk-buk-buk."

gdu

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/michael_rosenberg/01/20/texas.tv/index.htmlCNN article
Thanks for the link.

I read the rule and, as an attorney, I don't think it is a clear violation by any means.

I doubt ESPN is going to let Texas' athletic staff members pick the games; especially in light of this rule.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Thanks for the link.

I read the rule and, as an attorney, I don't think it is a clear violation by any means.

I doubt ESPN is going to let Texas' athletic staff members pick the games; especially in light of this rule.

So they are not breaking a law but simply violating the spirit of a rule by an organization commissioned by all schools, including Texas, to govern college athletics? Break laws and you go to jail. Violate the spirit of a rule or law and you make enemies.

Texas A&M is correct and should be mad. All schools should be mad.

gdu

So they are not breaking a law but simply violating the spirit of a rule by an organization commissioned by all schools, including Texas, to govern college athletics? Break laws and you go to jail. Violate the spirit of a rule or law and you make enemies.

I don't think they are violating the spirit either unless they are doing something I doubt they are doing. I hope Texas' coaches have better things to do than sit around and act as programming directors for a TV channel. Texas' season last year certainly suggests they have more important things to work on. And ESPN likes control; I don't see them giving it up.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
I don't think they are violating the spirit either unless they are doing something I doubt they are doing. I hope Texas' coaches have better things to do than sit around and act as programming directors for a TV channel. Texas' season last year certainly suggests they have more important things to work on. And ESPN likes control; I don't see them giving it up.

Thats a simplistic view of things. Of course a coach would not try and be a programming director but whats to keep them from suggesting that a great matchup would be the game with their #1 recruit against a good team. This is the UT network. Do you really think they don't have control over content?

You are in denial if think that is not going through their minds. In fact, you can't deny it.

Texas has no business doing that sort of thing. They have become whores in more ways than one.

gdu

Thats a simplistic view of things. Of course a coach would not try and be a programming director but whats to keep them from suggesting that a great matchup would be the game with their #1 recruit against a good team. This is the UT network. Do you really think they don't have control over content?

You are in denial if think that is not going through their minds. In fact, you can't deny it.

Texas has no business doing that sort of thing. They have become whores in more ways than one.
This rule for one.

This network is the UT network in name. Texas doesn't own it or control it. Texas licensed its name so ESPN could run things. Otherwise, Texas wouldn't have the money guaranteed already.

It is ridiculous to claim Texas is breaking a rule it is impossible for them to have broken yet. I have no idea what is going through their minds and niether do you. It's not like Texas is having problems recruiting anyways. How would this help anything?

Let's look at the big recruits Texas has lost recently. Westerman, Brantley, Scott, Perrilloux. Texas couldn't have showed a single one of their games on the network if they were still in high school.

ms19

Rankings I found since 2000. Most aggies love to say Texas and Texas A&M are superior to TCU. I love how they like to group themselves w/ TX when convenient. Here are the rankings i found (after season) since 2000.

Texas
2010- 73
09- 3
08- 3
07- 12
06- 13
05- 1
04- 6
03- 8
02- 6
01- 6
00- 14

average: 13 ranked
top 10's: 7
top 25s: 10

Brown Brick University:
2010- 23
09- 70
08- 97
07- 49
06- 27
05- 65
04- 41
03- 87
02- 50
01- 31
00- 36

average ranked: 52
top 10s: 0
tops 25s: 1

TCU:
2010: 2
09- 5
08- 9
07- 37
06- 10
05- 6
04-66
03- 21
02- 14
01- 64 (ya this is the team you beat)
00- 9

top 10's- 6
top 25's- 9
average rank- 22

A&M ranks eighth in the Big 12 in the BCS era (before last season). The Aggies' only major bowl appearance in the past 15 years was a loss (1999 Sugar Bowl versus Ohio State), and they haven't finished in the final AP top 5 since 1956.

Gig em!

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
This rule for one.

This network is the UT network in name. Texas doesn't own it or control it. Texas licensed its name so ESPN could run things. Otherwise, Texas wouldn't have the money guaranteed already.

It is ridiculous to claim Texas is breaking a rule it is impossible for them to have broken yet. I have no idea what is going through their minds and niether do you. It's not like Texas is having problems recruiting anyways. How would this help anything?

Let's look at the big recruits Texas has lost recently. Westerman, Brantley, Scott, Perrilloux. Texas couldn't have showed a single one of their games on the network if they were still in high school.

Their name is on the marquee, isn't it? It doesn't matter who owns or controls it. The name is the UT network or whatever they call it. This is their deal and nobody elses. They conceived it. They formed it. It will have their games, shows about their sports, interviews with their coaches and programming about the university.

Your comment about recent recruiting losses has no bearing in this discussion and the comment about not showing any of those recruits games makes no sense. Of course those games could not have been shown, they were played prior to the formation of this network.

Showing high school games on a university's network constitutes an unfair recruiting advantage and that is the very thing the NCAA says they are here to prevent.

Don't worry, UT will probably get away with it because UT knows the NCAA has no balls and is a toothless tiger but don't ever ask yourself "why do all of the other schools hate UT"? You know the answer

gdu

Their name is on the marquee, isn't it? It doesn't matter who owns or controls it. The name is the UT network or whatever they call it. This is their deal and nobody elses. They conceived it. They formed it. It will have their games, shows about their sports, interviews with their coaches and programming about the university.

Your comment about recent recruiting losses has no bearing in this discussion and the comment about not showing any of those recruits games makes no sense. Of course those games could not have been shown, they were played prior to the formation of this network.

Showing high school games on a university's network constitutes an unfair recruiting advantage and that is the very thing the NCAA says they are here to prevent.

Don't worry, UT will probably get away with it because UT knows the NCAA has no balls and is a toothless tiger but don't ever ask yourself "why do all of the other schools hate UT"? You know the answer
Other schools hate UT because they couldn't pull this off.
There probably isn't any point to have this conversation further, but from what I know so far, I don't think this is a violation of the NCAA rule as it currently exists and I don't think it provides a recruiting advantage. Why would a recruit care if its games were aired on ESPN, Fox, Texas network or local channel 8 here in Austin?

Endless Purple

This is it exactly.

With ESPN in control, they can claim control of the broadcasting decisions, thus relieving UT of any NCAA rules violation. However it is a huge recruiting advantage. Every time someone turns on a high school game, they will see UT advertising and logos only. By more exposure to UT as they grow in football, they will obviously be most familiar and more likely to become a UT fan. That is how marketing works.

If UT had their channel earlier, they may not have lost the other recruits. Probably why they are looking for more recruiting advantages.

gdu

This is it exactly.

With ESPN in control, they can claim control of the broadcasting decisions, thus relieving UT of any NCAA rules violation. However it is a huge recruiting advantage. Every time someone turns on a high school game, they will see UT advertising and logos only. By more exposure to UT as they grow in football, they will obviously be most familiar and more likely to become a UT fan. That is how marketing works.

If UT had their channel earlier, they may not have lost the other recruits. Probably why they are looking for more recruiting advantages.
So you think people watching Texas high school football have't heard of UT?

Why would a network that shows 1 terrible UT football game a year help keep any recruits?

Also, since most of you missed it: all of the big time recruits Texas has missed out on lately did not play UIL football, and their games wouldn't have been on even if Texas had the netwrok in place while they were still in hs.

A nice comparison here

The head coach of the Aggies’ women’s basketball team was even more succinct and direct when it comes to what impact the network could have on high school recruits.
“If Brittney Griner was coming out of high school today, and all of a sudden they decided to televise eight of her home games, don’t you think that would put Texas a leg up in recruiting?” Gary Blair asked rhetorically about the current Baylor star.

This could easily give UT an advantage over other schools in recruitiing. Every other Texas school administration should be raising the same questions.

Endless Purple

So you think people watching Texas high school football have't heard of UT?

Why would a network that shows 1 terrible UT football game a year help keep any recruits?
First, I didn't say they never heard of UT. It is not about showing a UT football game, but marketing and product branding during the highschool games. A big aspect of marketing is impressions. In other words, how many times your name/logo is put in front of potential customers (in this case recruits). Students that grow up in a UT household are generally going to consider UT. However those that their parents don't have a college preference or came in from out of state, will be given more exposure to UT and a higher chance of considering them since it will build recognition to a higher level of interest. Once they start to think of UT on a higher level and a more familiar and personal level, they are more likely to want to join the UT football team. Same as when their friends join a team, they are more likely to consider going with them - familiarity and comfort with something they know.

This becomes an advantage to UT recruiting. The same reason you see Coke and Pepsi commercials. Everyone knows who they are, but brand recognition is a big part of maintaining and growing your product.

Also, since most of you missed it: all of the big time recruits Texas has missed out on lately did not play UIL football, and their games wouldn't have been on even if Texas had the netwrok in place while they were still in hs.
So UT has never lost a recruit that played UIL football?