• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

Had a couple consecutive 16 hour days so didn't have time to look much at the roster, but I like the group. Tillman at forward is interesting and Gio at midfield is good too. Gonna be a fun window.

dawg

image.thumb.png.f961ade6962dc0fdea6c311640e99daf.png

Some tasty ties.

HF-EOC

Only 14, so can’t play for City until 18 (Brexit change). He does have a German passport so he can play there at 16.

Assuming: 2 more years at Philly on loan from City. Then 2 years on loan in Germany, then eligible for an English club.

Purp

Bummed about this. Sarge is probably our most in-form striker right now. LdlT has been rock solid too, but I don't see how he starts ahead of McKennie and Musah, though he could potentially slot in at #6 since Adams is just now returning. But if Gio is at midfield that may not be in the offing either.

Purp

Already down a goal in the 1st minute to a Jamaica side missing all of its best players. I think it's the right starting 11, but what an awful start.

Purp

Marsch in the post-game show demonstrating why he should have Berhalter's job. His suggestions for tactical changes for the final are exactly right yet might have a 5% chance of happening.

And Gooch was great with Davies and Deuce, but Marsch for Gooch might have improved the best post-game TV crew in all of sports.

Purp

Come back or no comeback, that was embarrassing. Terribly out coached. Gregg should have resigned at halftime.

And Concacaf refs remain abysmal
I felt the ref did a much better job than we typically see. Saw a few really bad misses, but most of it was right and well managed. I hate how CONCACAF refs allow assault and battery without showing yellow cards so often. We had one or two of those tonight too, but still far fewer than you'd expect in a game like this.

As far as Berhalter is concerned, I just hate how rigid and predictable he is. To his credit he made the right tactical changes an hour in, but those should have been made at half and probably before the match started. The 4-3-3 he wants to run isn't as clever as he thinks it is and doesn't suit the talent on the roster like he thinks it does.

We need a 3-5-2 this camp with Jedi - Richards - Dest across the back, Puli - Musah - Gio - McKennie - Weah across the midfield where McKennie and Musah are recessed behind Gio, and Haji - Flo up top. When Adams subs in for his limited minutes he comes in for Musah or McKennie (whoever has been least effective) and the one remaining shifts higher up the pitch nearer to Gio.

Since we don't have a #9 who's going to break defenders down 1v1 and create his own chances we have to surround our strikers with more weapons who can create and distribute to them in dangerous spaces. We also need to move CONCACAF defenses around who sit in a shell and defend small spaces in and around the box. The way you do that is overload the flanks to draw defenders out of the middle and get your creative players channels down the middle to run into. Replacing a center back with another striker allows you to do that. Berhalter is either too dumb, too stupid, or both to recognize how predictable his tactics are and how poorly his tactics work against compact defenses.

I think he made all the right selections, but one too. Even before the injuries and backups being called in. As poorly as Turner has performed this year for Forest and as little time as Horvath has seen I'm at a loss for why Slonina isn't in camp. Give the kid some run. You've got to develop another keeper bc you've seen that position go from rock solid and deep less than 2 years ago to highly dubious right now. Get the kid some camp experience and opportunities to earn time. He's the likely GK of the future anyway so get him in for some looks.

Latest posts