• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

kaiser soze

LOL Chelsea. Love Poch, but I really love watching the blues suffer. Puli got out of there at the right time.
Puli scores Milan's only, equalizing goal in today's CL match. i think Musah was in on the play early. Nice to see both getting quality, impactful minutes.

McKennie seems to be earning starts at Juventus and Weah just back into training. Tillman and Pepi playing well at PSV. Adams hurt (as always).

WTH is going in with Gio? Can't get off the bench in Dortmund.

EVOfrogMR

Edin Terzic refuses to follow Gregg’s example and meet with leadership experts and mediators to get the best out of Gio.

Really hoping Milan doesn’t can their coach since they didn’t advance despite the win today.

Purp

Puli scores Milan's only, equalizing goal in today's CL match. i think Musah was in on the play early. Nice to see both getting quality, impactful minutes.

McKennie seems to be earning starts at Juventus and Weah just back into training. Tillman and Pepi playing well at PSV. Adams hurt (as always).

It's certainly been a good run lately for the top Americans abroad. Jedi is turning into one of the best left backs in England, Turner got back in with Forest a couple weeks ago, Dest continues to start every game for PSV, Scally starts almost every game at Gladbach and has for a few years, CCV continues to be the most important player for Celtic, Richards is getting minutes at central midfield of all places (really wish Spurs would go after him in January - we need an athletic CB in the WORST way)... Just going down the line it seems like the only European based Americans struggling right now are Gio and Aaronson.

LdlT is playing great in Spain, Pefok is impactful for Gladbach when healthy, Flo starts almost every week at Monaco, Paredes is an every day player for Wolfsburg and impressing there... We could go on and on.

Speaking of the triumvirate at PSV, looks like Earnie Stewart is looking to bring a fourth American there in January with Miles Robinson on the market as a free agent. That would really be fantastic.

Purp

Gio is starting to piss me off.
It's a real head scratcher. You just can't imagine how someone so talented could have so little interest in being great so you want to give him the benefit of the doubt that something else must be going on behind the scenes. But it's been going on for years now so it's getting harder and harder to give him any grace.

That said, every time he plays #10 for the Nats he makes everyone better. The sample size is large enough for there to be little doubt about that. That he can't find his way back into Dortmund reeks of a rift between he and Terzic.

kaiser soze

It's a real head scratcher. You just can't imagine how someone so talented could have so little interest in being great so you want to give him the benefit of the doubt that something else must be going on behind the scenes. But it's been going on for years now so it's getting harder and harder to give him any grace.

That said, every time he plays #10 for the Nats he makes everyone better. The sample size is large enough for there to be little doubt about that. That he can't find his way back into Dortmund reeks of a rift between he and Terzic.
sounds like Gio has the maturity of a .... claudio reyna

dawg

It's certainly been a good run lately for the top Americans abroad. Jedi is turning into one of the best left backs in England,
Speaking of which... great writeup on Jedi today.

"Others might appear on the Mount Rushmore of current US men’s national team icons before Antonee Robinson. Indeed, Christian Pulisic, Gio Reyna, Weston McKennie and Yunus Musah might all get a mention for their European exploits ahead of Robinson, but the Fulham left back is out-performing them all right now.

"Mohamed Salah knows how well Robinson is currently playing. Callum Hudson-Odoi and Jarrod Bowen too. They have all come up against the American for a resurgent Fulham team recently and struggled to make an impact. Robinson – nicknamed ‘Jedi’ from childhood – stopped them. The force is strong with him at this moment in time."

Purp

Turner got another start today against Spurs and gave up a 2nd goal that started with his bad pass and ended with the ball going through his palms. Forest have a really ugly goal keeping situation. Neither is playing with any confidence.

Purp

My thoughts as well. If I remember correctly, he had some issues in terms of what he thought his own supposed ability was relative to his actual ability.
Gio has all the talent in the world. No idea what's going on there. He's a bigger and more talented version of his father.

dawg

uefa_champions_league_2023_24_round_of_16_draw.jpeg

Who did ManUre daw? Oh wait... lulz

Purp

This is like 6-7 straight matches with Richards running the center of the park for Palace. How can you have a center back with that kind of athleticism and talent who can't start for you at center back? Whatever your tactics and philosophy are, that's lunacy.

1000004646.jpg

kaiser soze

This is like 6-7 straight matches with Richards running the center of the park for Palace. How can you have a center back with that kind of athleticism and talent who can't start for you at center back? Whatever your tactics and philosophy are, that's lunacy.
Not that I want this, but can Richards be Tyler Adam's replacement at the 6 in case TA can't go (again)?

Does having CR out there unlock formations that allow 3 in the back (as an even better defending midfielder)?

Purp

Not that I want this, but can Richards be Tyler Adam's replacement at the 6 in case TA can't go (again)?

Does having CR out there unlock formations that allow 3 in the back (as an even better defending midfielder)?
I'm not sure he can cover as much ground as TA. Maybe he can, but that's a lot to ask.

What's amazing about watching him progress in the formations at Palace over the last month is that he's gradually gotten farther and farther up the pitch into an offensive position moreso than defensive. It's as if the gaffer loves his technical abilities and needs them on the pitch, but doesn't trust him defensively. It's bizarre to me because I love what he does as a center back. He has all the tools to be the best we've ever had at that position by as wide a margin as Tim Howard is at GK.