• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

I think it’s time we trade in Aaronsons. BA is in horrible form and has been for a while.
I thought Brendan was pretty good the first 30-40 minutes of the game. The problem is he's not finishing his chances still; just like Thursday night. He was active and dangerous, but not enough. He's a sub for me all the way.

That game was pretty good until Dest's bi-polar outburst. There's nothing more that needs to be said about that. Just inexplicable and selfish. GB's comments and those of the team make it sound like he'll be back after his suspension is served, but I'm already a bit perturbed that GB seems to be holding Dest to a lower standard than that he held McKennie to. Dest should miss an important window in March if that's what McKennie's punishment was. Dest's was a far more egregious offense than Weston committed.

Give credit to T&T for that first goal. CCV played it perfectly and cut down the angle well. It should have been an easy, routine save for Turner, but he apparently slipped leaving him off balance and out of position. The second goal was a great shot, but even knuckling it has to be saved. He swung and missed. That's a keeper being too nonchalant for the moment. Pretty embarrassing for him and another indication that I think Slonina needs to get a look soon. Dest's behavior changed the game, but Turner's slip and casual attempt to save the 2nd goal are mistakes that flipped the outcome. He's got to make those saves (I can forgive the slip on T&T's sloppy pitch, though).

I think it's clear that the gap behind our starters and their back-ups is still wide enough that we aren't in a position to be dangerous in 2026. We really need to get this young depth playing at a higher level. And for the love of God, we have got to start finishing at least 25% of the glorious chances we spoil. That game could have been a blowout before the Dest fiasco. Unlike Thursday we started well and put plenty of shots on frame. But there's little difference for me in hitting the goalie or missing by 15 yards wide a right.

I'll always hate playing T&T. Ugh.

Moose Stuff

U-17 eliminated 3-2 on a late German goal. No shame in that score. Olympic group lost 1-0 to Morocco. Probably at least a little shame in that one. Not Sergino type shame, but shame nonetheless.

Moose Stuff

I thought Brendan was pretty good the first 30-40 minutes of the game. The problem is he's not finishing his chances still; just like Thursday night. He was active and dangerous, but not enough. He's a sub for me all the way.

That game was pretty good until Dest's bi-polar outburst. There's nothing more that needs to be said about that. Just inexplicable and selfish. GB's comments and those of the team make it sound like he'll be back after his suspension is served, but I'm already a bit perturbed that GB seems to be holding Dest to a lower standard than that he held McKennie to. Dest should miss an important window in March if that's what McKennie's punishment was. Dest's was a far more egregious offense than Weston committed.

Give credit to T&T for that first goal. CCV played it perfectly and cut down the angle well. It should have been an easy, routine save for Turner, but he apparently slipped leaving him off balance and out of position. The second goal was a great shot, but even knuckling it has to be saved. He swung and missed. That's a keeper being too nonchalant for the moment. Pretty embarrassing for him and another indication that I think Slonina needs to get a look soon. Dest's behavior changed the game, but Turner's slip and casual attempt to save the 2nd goal are mistakes that flipped the outcome. He's got to make those saves (I can forgive the slip on T&T's sloppy pitch, though).

I think it's clear that the gap behind our starters and their back-ups is still wide enough that we aren't in a position to be dangerous in 2026. We really need to get this young depth playing at a higher level. And for the love of God, we have got to start finishing at least 25% of the glorious chances we spoil. That game could have been a blowout before the Dest fiasco. Unlike Thursday we started well and put plenty of shots on frame. But there's little difference for me in hitting the goalie or missing by 15 yards wide a right.

I'll always hate playing T&T. Ugh.
Our depth looks a little different if Weah, Adams, Pulisic, and McKennie are healthy. Also played the second half without Dest and Reyna. Arguably our 6 best players right there.

Purp

Our depth looks a little different if Weah, Adams, Pulisic, and McKennie are healthy. Also played the second half without Dest and Reyna. Arguably our 6 best players right there.
I agree 100%. But if the theory is right that it takes 16-18 top-end players to win a WC I think last night proves we aren't there yet. With 16-18 top-end players you can still operate at the highest level without your 6 best players and comfortably beat a side like T&T. Granted, playing a man down adds an element of difficulty, but if the next 4 guys behind Weah, Puli, McKennie, and Adams were of comparable quality we should have had much more than a 1-nil lead when Dest lost his head.

And then there's the Berhalter problem. How he could watch the 2nd half Thursday and not start Gio in a classic #10 spot is borderline criminal.

Nevertheless, I think some of those pieces may already be here (Scally, Paredes, LdlT, and Tillman all show plenty of flashes and play well and regularly in good leagues) and just need a little more experience and seasoning, but we're clearly not there yet. Hopefully one or two of the most promising young teens can be that world class 20-21 year old phenom by 2026 to round out that depth we're missing.

Purp

Weah's rehab has extended another 2 weeks. He won't be back this weekend and will now wait until December for possibly getting back into the team sheet.

Moose Stuff

I agree 100%. But if the theory is right that it takes 16-18 top-end players to win a WC I think last night proves we aren't there yet. With 16-18 top-end players you can still operate at the highest level without your 6 best players and comfortably beat a side like T&T. Granted, playing a man down adds an element of difficulty, but if the next 4 guys behind Weah, Puli, McKennie, and Adams were of comparable quality we should have had much more than a 1-nil lead when Dest lost his head.

And then there's the Berhalter problem. How he could watch the 2nd half Thursday and not start Gio in a classic #10 spot is borderline criminal.

Nevertheless, I think some of those pieces may already be here (Scally, Paredes, LdlT, and Tillman all show plenty of flashes and play well and regularly in good leagues) and just need a little more experience and seasoning, but we're clearly not there yet. Hopefully one or two of the most promising young teens can be that world class 20-21 year old phenom by 2026 to round out that depth we're missing.
My least favorite GB choice from yesterday was his insistence on continuing to play with 2 strikers after going a man down.

Purp

My least favorite GB choice from yesterday was his insistence on continuing to play with 2 strikers after going a man down.
That was a puzzler for sure, although he eventually backed off of that when Tillman came on for Pepi. I felt Maloney should have been on at half time, but for Aaronson and not LdlT. His player profile is the type you need in front of your center backs when you're a man down. Waiting until stoppage time was lunacy.

The in-game adjustments are one thing and the added complexity of getting them right when down a man makes it harder (they still seemed like easy calls as I was watching), but to have 4 days to plan after watching the 2nd half on Thursday with Gio behind Flo and to put Gio on the wing again to start... there's just no excuse. It's that petulant obstinance that drives us nuts.

And the Maloney situation just puzzles me all the more as I think about it. After advancing to the semis of Nations League and qualifying for Copa America I see 3 main objectives from this window.

1) Who is your back-up #6 when/if Tyler Adams is injured for a major competition. You have to find that guy and so far LdlT and Musah have been hit/miss. You've got to give Maloney a look there.

2) You've got to get Balogun going build some offensive structure around him rather than force him to play your way.

3) Perhaps hand in hand, with #2, you've got to explore Gio at #10 more and figure out the right midfield combinations behind him.

I'd have to say he failed #1 and #2 badly and probably failed #3 too even though the 2nd half in Austin further reinforced the evidence that this team is most dangerous in attack with Gio at #10. The fact that we got that evidence largely by accident/necessity rather than strategy and GB's willingness to try it is why I'd give an F on #3.

Truth be told, I'm not sure Maloney coming on at half makes a difference in the outcome either. Maybe T&T don't get that free kick from 25 yards out if he's in, but maybe they get one closer. There's no telling. That last goal was squarely on Turner, IMO. But to not even give him a serious look other than a token 1st cap at the end of a homeless match is malpractice.

Purp

Aaronson not even on the team sheet for Union thos morning. Is he hurt or just that out of favor?

Scally and Pefok both starting for Gladbach who have an early lead on Dortmund where Gio is on the bench.