• The KillerFrogs

2023-2023 CFB Transfer Portal

82 Frog Fever

Seals could challenge and push Hoover as well. If he does play - even with our OL struggles - Seals will get better protection and throw to faster WRs here than he did at Vandy. And Seals should find it easier to throw against SMU, UH and Baylor rather than Bama, Georgia and Tennessee. No disrespect to Hoover, but if you can't beat him out, then you are not an NFL QB. And then a TCU degree would be a beneficial down the road.
I believe you just described the world as seen thru Seals’ eyes.
TCU is going after Seals because they‘re putting all their eggs in Josh Hover’s basket for the ‘24 season. Maybe Seals and Hejny will be given a chance to show their skills and push Hoover a little, but the main plan is for this to be Hoover’s team in ‘24.

Personally, I believe there’s better options than handing Hoover the ball and bringing in Seals to backup.

Zeon Chriss is 6‘-2 210 and was timed at 4.4 in the 40. He started 6 games this year & is a 67% passer with a 151 passer rating (Hoover 135). He threw more than twice as many TDs as Ints (11-5), and added 500 yds and 6 TDs rushing in only half a season.
…with 3 years eligibility left.
Why we are not hot after this kid, instead of Seals is confusing. What we need is an honest QB competition to make sure we have a really good QB, and this kid could provide it.
1703957386031.jpeg

Last edited:

froginmn

I believe you just described the world as seen thru Seals’ eyes.
TCU is going after Seals because they‘re putting all their eggs in Josh Hover’s basket for the ‘24 season. Maybe Seals and Hejny will be given a chance to show their skills and push Hoover a little, but the main plan is for this to be Hoover’s team in ‘24.

Personally, I believe there’s better options than handing Hoover the ball and bringing in Seals to backup.

Zeon Chriss is 6‘-2 210 and was timed at 4.4 in the 40. He started 6 games this year & is a 67% passer with a 151 passer rating (Hoover 135). He threw more than twice as many TDs as Ints (11-5), and added 500 yds and 6 TDs rushing in only half a season.
…with 3 years eligibility left.
Why we are not hot after this kid, instead of Seals is confusing. What we need is an honest QB competition to make sure we have a really good QB, and this kid could provide it.
View attachment 15484
Seems weird to compare stats in the Sun Belt conference to Hoover's.

And why would you want a third quarterback with three years left? The idea of bringing an experienced QB from the portal is to add depth and bridge to when Hejny (or maybe Hoover) becomes the guy.

82 Frog Fever

Seems weird to compare stats in the Sun Belt conference to Hoover's.

And why would you want a third quarterback with three years left? The idea of bringing an experienced QB from the portal is to add depth and bridge to when Hejny (or maybe Hoover) becomes the guy.
Because I want somebody that might be better than Hoover. He is very average.
Hoover has a very mediocre QB rating of 134, and so far, forces balls into coverage. He is incredibly slow with a 5.0+ sec. 40, which is very restrictive to our rushing spread offense. Resultantly, I’d like to see him legitimately challenged.

QB years of experience is good, but it’s more about skills, abilities, and who provides a better chance to win long term. Seals does not make TCU better. He is a safety valve that gives TCU a chance to continue being average/good when Hoover goes out.

There were 87 Sunbelt alumni on NFL rosters at the start of this season, & 10 are former Louisiana players.
Emani Bailey transferred from Louisiana. He was top 20 FBS, and far better than anyone else we had this year.

y2kFrog

Because I want somebody that might be better than Hoover. He is very average.
Hoover has a very mediocre QB rating of 134, and so far, forces balls into coverage. He is incredibly slow with a 5.0+ sec. 40, which is very restrictive to our rushing spread offense. Resultantly, I’d like to see him legitimately challenged.

QB years of experience is good, but it’s more about skills, abilities, and who provides a better chance to win long term. Seals does not make TCU better. He is a safety valve that gives TCU a chance to continue being average/good when Hoover goes out.

There were 87 Sunbelt alumni on NFL rosters at the start of this season, & 10 are former Louisiana players.
Emani Bailey transferred from Louisiana. He was top 20 FBS, and far better than anyone else we had this year.
Some QBRs

Quinn Ewers in 2022 -> 133
Jayden Daniels in 2021 -> 136
Michael Penix in 2021 -> 101
Jalen Milroe in 2022 -> 125
Max Duggan in 2019 -> 114
Trevone Boykin 2012 -> 126
Andy Dalton 2007 -> 118

I know this seems to be a novel concept, but guys improve and don’t play like Freshman when they get older…and some of these guys on the list were 2nd or 3rd year starters when they put up these numbers.

Last edited:

FloridaFrog76129

Some QBRs

Quinn Ewers in 2022 -> 133
Jayden Daniels in 2021 -> 136
Michael Penix in 2021 -> 101
Jalen Milroe in 2022 -> 125
Max Duggan in 2019 -> 114
Trevone Boykin 2012 -> 126
Andy Dalton 2007 -> 118

I know this seems to be a novel concept, but guys improve and don’t play like Freshman when they get older…and some of these guys on the list were 2nd or 3rd year starters when they put up these numbers.
Yes because josh Hoover has so much in common with Jayden daniels, Quinn Ewers, Michael penix and Jalen milroe

…or maybe Hoover is a typical 3 star that won’t win any qb awards?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Reduce Hoover's early TOs and he played pretty damn well stepping into the starting role. Freshmen quarterbacks play like freshmen quarterbacks. Hoover is a good and improving quarterback. If we can do better, or have a good competitive group with dependable depth, then great. For me we are bridging, though I think Hoover is going to surprise the doubters in 2024.

Limey Frog

I'm happy to roll with Hoover next year if we can't land an older QB who is obviously better. I think in the portal era each program is going to have to take the approach to the QB position that works for them. Some programs' level of tolerance to the risk that they will scare off their young guys will be higher than others. Oregon will always be able to pay $1-2M for, and actually land, the next Dillon Gabriel. I think TCU will be able to do neither. We will need to keep the guys we have and maybe pick up some potential "diamond in the rough" types. That's been the pattern through two portal cycles with this staff. Right now next year's group is Hoover, Seals, and Henjy. That gives you one good-enough returning starter with upside, one reclamation job, and one prized high school recruit. Chances that you get through the year from that group with a decent starter and a backup who is your presumed future starter are pretty good, but far from a sure thing. If you reach for a bigger name transfer your chances of getting more may not be any better.

06DallasFrog

Yes because josh Hoover has so much in common with Jayden daniels, Quinn Ewers, Michael penix and Jalen milroe

…or maybe Hoover is a typical 3 star that won’t win any qb awards?
Maybe Hoover isn’t the guy, but your analysis is garbage. The Ewers that showed up last year against the DC we just fired was a flaming pile. He didn’t look any better than Hoover at his worst this year. Experience is the best teacher, and if we can’t pay for it, then we need to build it.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
So, it seems like the push here is to find an "experienced" QB we can money-whip in, and make him the starter. Just kick Hoover to the curb no matter how popular he is with the Locker Room.

I guess y'all just forgot all about the Alex Delton disaster.

I don't have a lick of confidence in our OC, and I'm pretty danged iffy on our HC at this point. The last year has ripped off a lot of fig leaves and band-aids. Their evaluation skills aren't worth a flip, and pissing away a lot of NIL cash on a stranger who might well flame out, who doesn't know anyone on the team, and who will walk into a lot of bad blood because he is now The Anointed One makes my skin crawl.

FloridaFrog76129

So, it seems like the push here is to find an "experienced" QB we can money-whip in, and make him the starter. Just kick Hoover to the curb no matter how popular he is with the Locker Room.

I guess y'all just forgot all about the Alex Delton disaster.

I don't have a lick of confidence in our OC, and I'm pretty danged iffy on our HC at this point. The last year has ripped off a lot of fig leaves and band-aids. Their evaluation skills aren't worth a flip, and pissing away a lot of NIL cash on a stranger who might well flame out, who doesn't know anyone on the team, and who will walk into a lot of bad blood because he is now The Anointed One makes my skin crawl.
We are bringing in somebody worse than Alex delton to be backup. Who knows what the plan is at QB…

Limey Frog

Maybe Hoover isn’t the guy, but your analysis is garbage. The Ewers that showed up last year against the DC we just fired was a flaming pile. He didn’t look any better than Hoover at his worst this year. Experience is the best teacher, and if we can’t pay for it, then we need to build it.
Heck, we would have beaten him this year if he hadn't had an NFL wide receiver to make an insane back shoulder catch fifty yards down field. Most QBs are as good as their supporting cast. Ewers is one, Hoover likely is to. He did pretty well this year for a red shirt freshman on a team with very many flaws.

neutral observer

Reduce Hoover's early TOs and he played pretty damn well stepping into the starting role. Freshmen quarterbacks play like freshmen quarterbacks. Hoover is a good and improving quarterback. If we can do better, or have a good competitive group with dependable depth, then great. For me we are bridging, though I think Hoover is going to surprise the doubters in 2024.
Agree!