• The KillerFrogs

2023-2023 CFB Transfer Portal

82 Frog Fever

Not sure KB has KJ highest on his list. Will see what happens but think most here will be surprised.

My thought were if that interested in KJ why not pursue Murphy, basically the same type QB but with more years to play and more potential (Not saying they are trying to go that route).
Absolutely 100%. TCU should go after anyone that could make them better.
Unfortunately, Murphy has a tight relationship with Manny Diaz and I believe he is going there.
BU is also making a run at him, as their OC also has a Murphy connection.

Limey Frog

Jefferson seems the best realistic option to me. He obviously fits Johnny's offense and has worked well with him in the past. He's a super senior, and there's no substitute for experience at this level. He's also pretty durable; yes, he played hurt this year and it showed, but he took a lot of hits and still played. I think he could come in here and be the guy to get us back to winning right away, giving Hoover and Henjy a year to develop toward competing against each other for the job in 2025.

G Mother Froggen P

JC was also the first person I heard who went public with a 10+ win regular season prediction. Some of his stuff is pretty good, but he drinks way to much purple koolaid and it adversely effects his content.
I agree with that statement for this current year, but in the latter years of GP he as always pessimistic imo. He was on record that he didn’t care what the Tcu season panned out to be.

Frogfam4

Not sure what Jeremy Clark or Joe Gillespie have to do with KJ Jefferson and Malachi Nelson. TCU isn't pursuing these 2 guys right now and there's no reason to think they ever will.
I am not trying to start anything, I have no idea what your relationship with the team is. Do you have inside sources telling you this? Again not trying to be a jerk just asking

82 Frog Fever

Jefferson seems the best realistic option to me. He obviously fits Johnny's offense and has worked well with him in the past. He's a super senior, and there's no substitute for experience at this level. He's also pretty durable; yes, he played hurt this year and it showed, but he took a lot of hits and still played. I think he could come in here and be the guy to get us back to winning right away, giving Hoover and Henjy a year to develop toward competing against each other for the job in 2025.
He is the best QB with the most compatible skill sets that TCU has a shot at.
But he has 1 year left, and will likely demand to be the starter on day 1.

I believe it is Briles’ decision, as he has first hand experience with both Hoover and Jefferson. Briles needs to decide right now if he believes Hoover has the ceiling to get us to 8 wins next year, and I believe that’s a yes.

If Briles believes Hoover can get us to 8 wins; then KJ is not worth it.
His demands to start would be an issue, and if Hoover left, we’d could be worse off than we are now by creating QB depth issues for ‘25.
TCU to the CFP would be highly doubtful next year, so I don‘t see the value in signing KJ for $3-$500k and naming him our starter.

I believe we need a Soph/Junior to challenge or be a solid backup to Hoover.

At this point we pay Briles to make these big money decisions, I’m on board for whatever his evaluation turns out to be.

Wexahu

I believe it is Briles’ decision, as he has first hand experience with both Hoover and Jefferson. Briles needs to decide right now if he believes Hoover has the ceiling to get us to 8 wins next year, and I believe that’s a yes.

His demands to start would be an issue, and if Hoover left, we’d could be worse off than we are now by creating QB depth issues for ‘25.
TCU to the CFP would be highly doubtful next year, so I don‘t see the value in signing KJ for $3-$500k and naming him our starter.

At this point we pay Briles to make these big money decisions, I’m on board for whatever his evaluation turns out to be.
What are we offering to O-line and especially D-line prospects/transfers? Do you know?

82 Frog Fever

What are we offering to O-line and especially D-line prospects/transfers? Do you know?
Idk right now as the talent is starting to get thin.
I only know we signed 6 freshman and 3 transfers on OL. Two more transfers Bennet/Sampson will sign later. We are still hunting for more OTs.
They also signed 3 DLs & 3 Edge. I know they’re still looking.

fanatical frog

I believe so too.

82 Frog Fever

Or maybe the staff is content to go with what's already on campus.
They’re looking but it’s not a top priority. They’re looking for someone like a group conference RB that is on the rise.

I’m not sure about this, but 33 is a lot of signings and we had a big class last year, we may be over headcount.
If so, we’ll need to cull out some low level performers in the spring and pick up some more depth in the portal. There might be a decent enough back at that time.

I still like the N. Texas kid, Ayo Adeyi. He is a proven 1,000 yd fireplug RB that coud carry 15 times a game.
TCU doesn’t seem to have any interest.

Limey Frog

Realistically though what choice do we have? If pass over a talent and relatively proven one-and-done because you don't want to demote your comparatively unproven sophomore, you're left dangerously thin. Then your ceiling in the market is a transfer QB who would be willing to come in knowing that Hoover is probably your guy. Whoever that is would be is certainly far worse than Morris. Heck, even Chance blessed Nolan wasn't willing to stick around as a backup and that dude was anemic starting for Oregon State in 2022.

I think Hoover can do fine in the Big 12 next year. Jefferson would likely win us a couple of additional games or so, which may not be worth $500K, but I think you're paying for depth as much as anything at this point.