• The KillerFrogs

2018 Recruiting Thread

SuperTFrog

Our line play has had such a profound impact on this years season, my guess is we will make line recruiting a bigger priority going forward
Sorry man, but these posts kill me. I am sure that Gary has known for 30+ years that having a stout D line has a profound impact on his season and that winning D Line recruits has been a massive priority. There is not a coach in the country who doesn’t think winning in the trenches is how you win games consistently.

Totally agree that a major reason we are winning is because we have a two deep D Line as good as anyone in the conference.

FrogLifeYo

Sorry man, but these posts kill me. I am sure that Gary has known for 30+ years that having a stout D line has a profound impact on his season and that winning D Line recruits has been a massive priority. There is not a coach in the country who doesn’t think winning in the trenches is how you win games consistently.

Totally agree that a major reason we are winning is because we have a two deep D Line as good as anyone in the conference.
I should have clarified a little better..Over the last few years we have taken a really high number of skills players in each of our classes. I realize that's mostly due to our constant rotating at those positions. The point I should have made was that I think we are going to look at trying to fill more slots with lineman than in past.

SuperTFrog

I should have clarified a little better..Over the last few years we have taken a really high number of skills players in each of our classes. I realize that's mostly due to our constant rotating at those positions. The point I should have made was that I think we are going to look at trying to fill more slots with lineman than in past.
I agree that we will use more spots for D linemen as this two deep make our life so much easier on defense.

Moose Stuff

TMW ended up catching another TD that sealed the win late. NBHS passing attack was insufficient to really allow an evaluation of his cover skills/instincts. He was by far the best athlete on the field and one of those kids who looks like things come pretty easy for him. Reminds me of maybe a faster version of J Austin (who I had hoped was gonna be a safety like TMW should be).

Also learned the proper pronunciation of the first part of his last name..... rhymes with Gehrig (as in Lou).

Froggy Style

I think you're right here. If we're going to slow the game a bit and have fewer plays as Gary states, then we won't need 20+ WR on the roster, especially with some of the playmakers we're getting. DT and OL seems like a good place to take an extra chance or two to make sure you don't have down years.

W

Way of the Frog

I don't think the issue is as simple as TCU focused more on recruiting skill players over line positions.

TCU did recruit some defensive linemen, but a few never panned out and a few left the program.

2013 Tevin Lawson (DT) - left program
Bryson Henderson (DE) - left program
Mike Tuaua (DE) -JUCO beer thief for contributed to the program
2014 Casey McDermott Vai (DE)i- switched to OL
L.J. Collier (DE) - contributor at DT/DE
Chris Bradley (DE) - contributor at DT
2015 Breylin Mitchell (DE) - left program
Joe Broadnax (DT) - contributor at DT
Tipa Galeai (DE) - left program
2016 Isaiah Chamber (DE) - left program
Brandon Bowen (DE) - injured
Gary Overshown (DE) - reserve
Ross Blacklock (DT) - contributor
Matt Boesen (DE) - JUCO contributor

That is 14 defensive linemen recruited in those 4 classes so your thought that the Frogs really didn't focus on the position doesn't exactly hold true.

Unfortunately 5 of those 14 left the program, 1 switched positions, 1 is out due to injury, 1 is a reserve, 1 was a JUCO and gone after two years, and that leaves you with 5 of your 14 contributing to the defense.

Additionally only three of the 14 were pure defensive tackles (Lawson, Broadnax, and Blacklock.)

The 2017 class was much more balanced with 3 pure DT's in Bethley, Ellis, and Tuaua, a DE in Epley, and 2 guys who will might grow into positions in Collins and Cooper.