• The KillerFrogs

2018 Recruiting Thread - Part 2

VictoryLap

I took a quick look and couldn't see a way to download some of the rankings to an excel spreadsheet, but it seems to me that skill players get much higher rankings than they should.

This comes from a comment on the 247 board that we are loaded with highly ranked skill players, but not as many in the trenches. But it seems that way for every school, right?

Assuming a normal distribution (and we can argue what a ranking really means, much like what MVP means - best player or most valuable) there should be 1 QB for every 22 players (so approx. 5 in the top 100) and 5 OL for every 22 (or approx. 23 in the top 100) and my guess is that it is nowhere near that.

I guess my point is that skill player rankings seem inflated and trench guys seem deflated. Just an observation, nothing about TCU specifically.
A quick count on the 247 composite 2018 rankings show:
7 QB's in the top 50 and 11 in the top 100.
6 WR's in the top 50 and 20 in the top 100.
5 RB's in the top 50 and 7 in the top 100.
There are also 2 athlete recruits in the top 100, which may very well end up being offensive skill positions.

It looks like there is a skew towards skill players, at least in the top 100, so I think you are on to something there.

FrogLifeYo

A quick count on the 247 composite 2018 rankings show:
7 QB's in the top 50 and 11 in the top 100.
6 WR's in the top 50 and 20 in the top 100.
5 RB's in the top 50 and 7 in the top 100.
There are also 2 athlete recruits in the top 100, which may very well end up being offensive skill positions.

It looks like there is a skew towards skill players, at least in the top 100, so I think you are on to something there.
How often does a OL or a DL recruit called a "difference" maker...Unless they are a super 5 star its pretty tiny compared to skills players.

Moose Stuff

Interesting nugget from that LSU link that it’s unlikely they sign a qb. After their graduating senior, they have 2 freshmen that my Tiger friends aren’t exactly wild about. Hopefully that matters to Chase, because TCU’s qb future looks awesome.

Also speaks to what a great job Cumbie did on Justin Rogers that the best QB in Louisiana turned down LSU even though they really needed him.

AroundWorldFrog

Interesting nugget from that LSU link that it’s unlikely they sign a qb. After their graduating senior, they have 2 freshmen that my Tiger friends aren’t exactly wild about. Hopefully that matters to Chase, because TCU’s qb future looks awesome.
And they were bragging about what a great job Canada did developing QBs and the offense so Rogers should go there. Not so much I guess.

How often does a OL or a DL recruit called a "difference" maker...Unless they are a super 5 star its pretty tiny compared to skills players.

I think online and dline are tough to measure. They don’t have tons of stats or stats for great run blocking then pass blocking. How do you measure quick feet? Speed doesn’t matter as in 40 times. Height Weight are used, but I have never seen bench press squats etc. used to measure linemen? Centers, guards, and tackles have different skill sets too.

So with qbs wr etc. yards, tds, catches, completion % etc. there are tons of measurables. Definitely seems like bias, but I think it is just lack of measurements.

Horny 4 Life

LSU and Matt Canada are parting ways after the bowl game. I wonder if a couple of those offensive recruits are wishing they would have known that before signing early.

Punter1

LSU and Matt Canada are parting ways after the bowl game. I wonder if a couple of those offensive recruits are wishing they would have known that before signing early.

They are probably happy. Canada is awful and is the reason why a lot of skill players won't/wouldn't consider LSU.

It was probably Coach O's promise to T-Marsh that Canada would be gone that sealed his signing....but way too late for guys like JR and hopefully Chase.

OICU812

They are probably happy. Canada is awful and is the reason why a lot of skill players won't/wouldn't consider LSU.

It was probably Coach O's promise to T-Marsh that Canada would be gone that sealed his signing....but way too late for guys like JR and hopefully Chase.

Was on the interstate last night and for some reason had a clear signal from a Louisiana AM station which was broadcasting the Orgeron show. He gave the weirdest vibe about Marshall, like he was an afterthought, in talking about the signing class.
Bragged heavily about several O-linemen by name, "X number of kids from the 318 area code, two great RBs out of Alabama, 5 of the top offensive line prospects, etc., and Oh yeah, we got 'the receiver, Terrance."" Then made an offhand comment about they expect to sign Chase.
That dude is hard to listen to... But then, so are most of his callers.