• The KillerFrogs

2016 College Baseball Season Thread

Purpletoad

cdsfrog said:

Worst part is the brutal cutoffs income wise. Not always a sliding scale.
Sorry - didn't mean to mislead.  There was not a definite cut off number.  Rather, there was the comment that all would receive a significant $ under $200,000; however, there are other factors like number of kids in college, etc.  It varies depending on the financial make-up of the student body.

cdsfrog

Purpletoad said:
Sorry - didn't mean to mislead.  There was not a definite cut off number.  Rather, there was the comment that all would receive a significant $ under $200,000; however, there are other factors like number of kids in college, etc.  It varies depending on the financial make-up of the student body.
I was talking about the income thresholds for tuition deduction. If u go to say Harvard's website there is a point where if u make $1 more your contribution expected for tuition goes from 0% to 90%. Crushes the upper middle class.

2314@work

Contributor
TCUdirtbag said:
We're 60 days away from opening day of the 2016 College Baseball Season, so it's time to get the 2016 season thread started.

The first preseason poll is out, and our 2016 Frogs come in at #15:

Collegiate Baseball News Preseason Poll:  (TCU opponents in bold)
(1) Florida; (2) Louisville; (3) Vanderbilt; (4) Miami; (5) Texas A&M; (6) Louisiana-Lafayette; (7) LSU; (8) Oregon State; (9) Virginia; (10) UCLA; (11) Mississippi State; (12) Cal State Fullerton; (13) California; (14) Oregon; (15) TCU; (16) Florida State; (17) Missouri State; (18) Houston; (19) Tulane; (20) Rice; (21) Georgia Tech; (22) North Carolina; (23) Michigan; (24) Arkansas; (25) Oklahoma State; (26) Stony Brook; (27) Notre Dame; (28) Kentucky; (29) Maryland; (30) Pepperdine; (31) Dallas Baptist; (32) College of Charleston; (33) Coastal Carolina; (34) Missouri; (35) South Carolina; (36) San Diego State; (37) South Alabama; (38) Winthrop; (39) Texas Tech(40) Texas

Other TCU Opponents receiving votes:
Loyola MarymountGonzagaUSCWichita StateOklahoma

Full Poll: http://baseballnews.com/collegiate-baseball-div-i-poll-12-21-15/

Many more polls yet to come! NCBWA, Coaches', D1baseball, Baseball America, and Perfect Game. Keep in mind CBN is known for being a very reactionary to recent Ws/Ls. Don't be surprised if many of the others have TCU lower with all the losses and give less credit to the CWS run last June. 
:smile:

Moose Stuff

cdsfrog said:
I was talking about the income thresholds for tuition deduction. If u go to say Harvard's website there is a point where if u make $1 more your contribution expected for tuition goes from 0% to 90%. Crushes the upper middle class.
I know of at least one Rice baseball player who had a parent cut back work hours to make a little less money and get the kid a much larger scholarship.

Pharm Frog

RollToad said:
What's a refund?

af50d4edf5e6eeb268cc493cde7869e5.jpg

cdsfrog

Moose Stuff said:
I know of at least one Rice baseball player who had a parent cut back work hours to make a little less money and get the kid a much larger scholarship.

Yep. Absolutely. TCU used to only require 1 year for parents to get free tuition for their kids. People would take a big pay cut for that benefit.  Now it's 3 years I believe. 

My sister and I went tuition free.

Pharm Frog

This chat has been quite interesting.  My daughter's top three college destinations are TCU, Vandy, and West Point.  As it stands currently, TCU is virtually out-of-reach financially (less so about the actual cost and more so about the cost v benefit).  Three years ago Mrs Pharm went to work at a private university that participates in a program called The Tuition Exchange.  She did this in large part as a strategy to increase options for both my son and daughter.  TCU participates in the program but accepts less than 10% of applicants through the program.  Unless Daughter Pharm wins one of those scholarships, there's no way we can justify sending her to TCU based on her desired degree.  Vandy would be significantly less expensive.  And of course West Point is a different story altogether.

Since this is a sports forum, Daughter Pharm is an athlete but I don't foresee her current 100H and 300H times getting her much attention from D1 (although D2's, D3's, and a couple of NAIA's have been in contact).

TCUdirtbag

From a couple weeks ago:
http://thedpost.com/12-3-Trout-web

WVU Assistant Coach Steven Trout left WVU for an assistant job at Texas State early this month. 

Trout played 2 years at Texarkana College, then 2 years at TCU, then later was a volunteer assistant at Texas State, then an assistant under Whitting at U of H, then HC at Texarkana College, and then became an assistant under Mazey when he took the WVU job a few years back.  

Not great timing for Mazey to lose a major assistant, but WVU ha supposedly found his replacement and is finishing the administrative hiring process up--expect it to be announced soon. 

cdsfrog

I predict we win 26 games and go 6th in the big 12.

Just kidding. High 30s/ low 40 wins. Win in a down big 12 year. Get to super Regionals and lose there

TCUdirtbag

cdsfrog said:
Just kidding. High 30s/ low 40 wins. Win in a down big 12 year. Get to super Regionals and lose there

Kind of in line with my prediction we end up with a top 25 season but no trip to Omaha.

TCUdirtbag

FYI, I was trying to figure out when the Big 12 preseason poll was set to come out. I couldn't find an answer, but I did find that last year's came out on February 5, 2015 (season began February 13).

TCUdirtbag

One more month!  D1 Baseball released its preview schedule today:
Preseason top 25, Chat and Podcast: January 12 (tomorrow!)
Big 12 Preview: February 1
Preseason projected field of 64: February 12

TCUdirtbag

http://www.d1baseball.com/rankings/2016-d1baseball-preseason-top-25/
bold = Big 12
* = games vs. TCU

1. Florida
2. Louisville 
3. Vanderbilt
4. Texas A&M
5. Oregon State
6. Miami
7. LSU
***8. Oklahoma State
9. California
10. NC State
11. UCLA
***12. USC
13. Virginia
14. Oregon
15. Mississippi State
16. North Carolina 
17. South Carolina
*18. Louisiana-Lafayette
19. TCU
20. Florida State
21. Cal State Fullerton
*22. Houston
***23. Texas
24. Coastal Carolina
25. Arkansas

Purp

TCUdirtbag said:
http://www.d1baseball.com/rankings/2016-d1baseball-preseason-top-25/
bold = Big 12
* = games vs. TCU

1. Florida
2. Louisville 
3. Vanderbilt
4. Texas A&M
5. Oregon State
6. Miami
7. LSU
***8. Oklahoma State
9. California
10. NC State
11. UCLA
***12. USC
13. Virginia
14. Oregon
15. Mississippi State
16. North Carolina 
17. South Carolina
*18. Louisiana-Lafayette
19. TCU
20. Florida State
21. Cal State Fullerton
*22. Houston
***23. Texas
24. Coastal Carolina
25. Arkansas
Looks about right.  Since we're so unproven in so many areas i think our ranking is largely based on reputation.  The talent on hand could be much better than 19, but if things don't come together quickly on the mound we could fall out of the top 25.

I think aTm should be #1, though, b/c Boomer really takes them to the next level.  In all seriousness, they're going to be very solid this year and the margin between the top 4 is negligible, IMO.

frogtex

ftwfrog said:
If I remember, OSU was young last year and had a freshman lefty embarrass us in Fort Worth. Good team coming back.
That lefty was a senior and big 12 pitcher of the year....going to be interesting baseball season...unusual massive turnover

Frog-in-law1995

Guys, relax. That whole scholarship funding thing gets taken care of when I hit the Powerball tomorrow. And where's Illinois on that list? Must've been gutted by juniors signing.

TCUdirtbag

D1Baseball's preseason top 25 chat is ongoing. Here are some TCU mentions:

Question:
Who will who will be freshman of the year in college baseball?
Aaron Fitt:
"I haven't decided on what my official pick will be yet, but I'm leaning toward TCU's Luken Baker. I think he'll make a huge two-way impact, as a weekend starter and a middle-of-the-lineup bopper."

Question:
To Aaron, how can you say Oklahoma State is going to run away with the Big 12 when Jim Schlossnagle is still coaching at TCU and Kirk Saarloos is still their pitching coach?
Aaron Fitt:
"Thanks for listening to our podcast, Tyler! Put it this way: TCU's coaching staff is really good, and so is its young talent, but that team is young. They'll have ups and downs along the way; the Cowboys are considerably older and also very talented and deep. And picking OSU to run away with the league is no slight on any other coaches -- after all, Louisville ran away with the ACC last year, winning their division by 7 games over Florida State, and we all know Mike Martin can coach. Vandy ran away with the SEC one year, going like 26-3 -- and that league is loaded with good coaches. I just think in 2016, Oklahoma State is a clear cut above the rest of the league."

Question:
What do you guys see TCU's ceiling being this year? Obviously 2017 is going to be their big year with their stud freshman and sophomore class, but this is the best raw talent Schloss has had since the 2010 CWS team. Luken Baker has legit early first round talent and we all know what Schlossnagle has done with his Texas-two sport athletes, turning them into great baseball players. He always gets the most out of his kids. So whats their ceiling? Personally, I see them rematching with Texas A&M in the supers, this time in Aggieland,
Aaron Fitt:
"I think you nailed it -- TCU will be a juggernaut in 2017, and a very exciting, talented young team in 2016. If those freshmen mature quickly, look out. You're absolutely right about Baker, he's the real deal. And Josh Watson sounds like a heck of a player -- he'll likely start every day in left field as a freshmen, and TCU fans are going to love his hard-nosed approach as well as his explosiveness. If this team gels late, I could see them making another deep postseason run."

Question:
Lets be real here guys, Oklahoma State has had great teams in recent years and just simply haven't been able to put it together in the postseason. What's different this year? Why so much faith in the Cowboys, Mr. Fitt?
Aaron Fitt:
"You know, they've been pretty darn good every year of the Holliday era. I know they haven't gotten over the hump to Omaha yet, but it's only a matter of time -- it took Corbin and O'Connor a little time to get over that hump too. But great coaches get there, and OSU has great coaches. And this roster is really exciting -- especially on the mound. I think this might wind up being one of the deepest pitching staffs in the country, just loads of power arms."

Question:
With Kyle Johnston and Morgan Cooper returning to head up the rotation for the Longhorns, do you think they will be able to replace losing 4 key contributors (Ben Johnson, CJ Hinojosa, Connor Shaw and Brooks Marlow) from last year's team and score enough runs to contend for a Big 12 title?
Kendall Rogers:
"I don't consider Hinojosa and Marlow to be major losses at all -- if anything, the Longhorns will probably be better without those two. I do feel like Ben Johnson is better than people give him credit for. Keep an eye on Kody Clemens ... he's a fire-starter for Texas."