• The KillerFrogs

2016 College Baseball Season Thread

cdsfrog

Merit Aid. Instead of academic aid. They recruit the best players possible who come from families that can't afford Vandy.

Magically they all get full rides. 

TCURiggs said:

Maybe it's the wrong thread for this, but can someone give me the cliff notes version of why a team like Vandy has such a recruiting advantage over us? How is their scholarship/financial situation so different from ours, and will we ever be able to do what they do?

I think Vandy and Stanford have some version ability to pay tuition available to all students.  If you're not on a full scholarship and their formula says you (and your family) can afford 10k per year in tuition, then that is what you pay.  I think we would have no issue doing that with baseball players (obviously) but it would, per my understanding, have to available to all students who are accepted to the school and become members of the student body to not be an illegal attempt to get around the scholarship limits.  Doing that for the other 8500 or so who are not athletes is the problem unless we can substantially increase the endowment and other sources witch fund student financial aid.

PO Frog

More Frogs the Better said:

I think Vandy and Stanford have some version ability to pay tuition available to all students.  If you're not on a full scholarship and their formula says you (and your family) can afford 10k per year in tuition, then that is what you pay.  I think we would have no issue doing that with baseball players (obviously) but it would, per my understanding, have to available to all students who are accepted to the school and become members of the student body to not be an illegal attempt to get around the scholarship limits.  Doing that for the other 8500 or so who are not athletes is the problem unless we can substantially increase the endowment and other sources witch fund student financial aid.
This is correct. Everyone gets aid on an as needed basis. Not just athletes.

Purpletoad

PO Frog said:
This is correct. Everyone gets aid on an as needed basis. Not just athletes.

That's true - I took my daughter to the black and gold days @ Vandy about a year ago.  It's all need based financial aid.  They don't give academic scholarships (or very few) because all admitted students have outstanding academic accomplishments.   My numbers may be a little off but they divide about $45-$47 million per year in financial aid to an undergrad student population smaller than TCU.  You have to apply each year and it's based on income levels with other varying attributes such as # children attending college, etc.  If you have a household income of $200K or less, you are getting discounted cost.  The less you make the more you get.  They boast that you may not choose Vandy for varying reasons but ability to afford Vandy will not be among the reasons.

Moose Stuff

Purpletoad said:

That's true - I took my daughter to the black and gold days @ Vandy about a year ago.  It's all need based financial aid.  They don't give academic scholarships (or very few) because all admitted students have outstanding academic accomplishments.   My numbers may be a little off but they divide about $45-$47 million per year in financial aid to an undergrad student population smaller than TCU.  You have to apply each year and it's based on income levels with other varying attributes such as # children attending college, etc.  If you have a household income of $200K or less, you are getting discounted cost.  The less you make the more you get.  They boast that you may not choose Vandy for varying reasons but ability to afford Vandy will not be among the reasons.
And baseball is doing even more. I know they give a ton of aid to minority players, of which they have more than most programs.

Rex Ringo

This is all correct. Need-blind institutions can essentially guarantee that your full financial need is met regardless of ability to pay. It's in the long-term plans for TCU to become need-blind eventually.

Progress towards that is being made already. We have more Chancellor's Scholarships (full ride) now than at any other point in our history- about twice as many as when I was a freshman in '08. We have also created the Community Scholars program, which provides full rides for students that come to TCU from DFW's poorest schools, as well as the Vision Grant, which provides scholarships for students who are extremely involved and display great leadership qualities but perhaps don't test well or have a lower class rank due to going to an extremely rigorous school. Eventually those programs will (with luck) expand to where every qualified student has a chance to attend TCU without going into extensive debt.

If that happens? Imagine our baseball program then...

Moose Stuff

Rex Ringo said:
This is all correct. Need-blind institutions can essentially guarantee that your full financial need is met regardless of ability to pay. It's in the long-term plans for TCU to become need-blind eventually.

Progress towards that is being made already. We have more Chancellor's Scholarships (full ride) now than at any other point in our history- about twice as many as when I was a freshman in '08. We have also created the Community Scholars program, which provides full rides for students that come to TCU from DFW's poorest schools, as well as the Vision Grant, which provides scholarships for students who are extremely involved and display great leadership qualities but perhaps don't test well or have a lower class rank due to going to an extremely rigorous school. Eventually those programs will (with luck) expand to where every qualified student has a chance to attend TCU without going into extensive debt.

Any chance we can retroactively take care of the families currently going into extensive debt? :)

TCUdirtbag

Rex Ringo said:

Going to take a whole lot of money being added to endowment.  A whole lot.  Vandy's endowment is over $4 B.  Stanford's is over $22 B.  TCU's isn't quite to $1.5 B.  

Rex Ringo

TCUdirtbag said:

Going to take a whole lot of money being added to endowment.  A whole lot.  Vandy's endowment is over $4 B.  Stanford's is over $22 B.  TCU's isn't quite to $1.5 B.  

Absolutely. This is more along the lines of the long-long-long term plan. But with so much of the construction around campus and in athletics slowing down a bit, the next big financial project is going to revolve around upgrading the academic side of things (more endowed professorships, academic support systems, research grants, etc) as well as financial aid for highly-qualified students. It's going to take a long time and generations' worth of work but that's where the school wants to be.

TCUdirtbag

Rex Ringo said:
Absolutely. This is more along the lines of the long-long-long term plan. But with so much of the construction around campus and in athletics slowing down a bit, the next big financial project is going to revolve around upgrading the academic side of things (more endowed professorships, academic support systems, research grants, etc) as well as financial aid for highly-qualified students. It's going to take a long time and generations' worth of work but that's where the school wants to be.
Absolutely. Though I think in terms of dollars, construction is sowing down much less than many think. In spring 2016 or 2017, the $100 M Neeley School project is set to begin. The Worth Hills phases 4-7 project is another $100 M. Haven't see a number for Mousy East for the College of Fine Arts, buts it got to be at least $20 M. The School of Music still has to be addressed, even if the $100 M music village is scrapped. Del Conte wants to address the track and field facilities, swimming facilities, and is tinkering with some unknown project on the east side of AGCS. And of course the baseball stadium seems to be an ongoing construction zone. Point just being that although the cranes are moving to the campus borders, I'm not sure the capital expenses are decreasing.

frogtex

CJS has explained this to the Diamond Club many times,

beyond having a MUCH larger endowment and financial aid base, the other major difference between Vandy/Rice and TCU is that they allow major exceptions to the admissions policy for "special talents" both in athletics and on the general campus....so, for example, an baseball player who isn't a great student, but is NCAA eligible, and who comes from a low income family is going to not only get a HUGE scholarship (none of it from baseball) from Vandy but he is going to be admitted to school.....at TCU, he isn't getting admitted unless he is on baseball aid....

TCU merit aid has increased....but you must be a GREAT student to get it......

bottom line is that TCU is the most expensive school in the Big 12 and doesn't have even close to the same number of "scholarships" that Vandy and Rice do.....

makes the job our staff is doing in baseball even more impressive.

jake102

Just want to go ahead and use this thread to point out that the qualifications for a "need" based scholarship at Rice and Ivy league schools are ridiculous. Laughable that need based is only available for anyone making under $200k. At $50k a year, someone making $200k can't afford that. They need to raise it to like $400k.

/rant

cdsfrog

Jake102 said:
Just want to go ahead and use this thread to point out that the qualifications for a "need" based scholarship at Rice and Ivy league schools are ridiculous. Laughable that need based is only available for anyone making under $200k. At $50k a year, someone making $200k can't afford that. They need to raise it to like $400k.

/rant

Worst part is the brutal cutoffs income wise. Not always a sliding scale.

Moose Stuff

Jake102 said:

/rant
They could if they were using the Dogfrog method.

Big Frog II

We were very fortunate the last several years to have several talented players not on baseball scholarships.  That way, we were able to spread the very little money the NCAA allows around further.