• The KillerFrogs

Coach Dykes' Post Game Comments RE: Coordinators

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Just leave then, others will take your place. Seriously, I have no idea why people bother coming on here and doing nothing but [ hundin] and complain. Get a life.
He has a valid point and I believe it’s one that is pointing to the broader position of pushing fans away from the program not really about posters to this board, although both groups do overlap.

TCU has done a lot of damage over the years to the faith and support of our small fan base and now we’re a year removed from making it to the top of mountain only to see all good will and momentum destroyed. Dykes needs to right the ship fast, and while agree with you that announcing firings in a post game conference at the end of the season is a bad look he does need to make changes quickly as the portal doesn’t wait for anyone and we need moves fast.

Chongo94

He has a valid point and I believe it’s one that is pointing to the broader position of pushing fans away from the program not really about posters to this board, although both groups do overlap.

TCU has done a lot of damage over the years to the faith and support of our small fan base and now we’re a year removed from making it to the top of mountain only to see all good will and momentum destroyed. Dykes needs to right the ship fast, and while agree with you that announcing firings in a post game conference at the end of the season is a bad look he does need to make changes quickly as the portal doesn’t wait for anyone and we need moves fast.
Spot on.

Horny4TCU

I guess it's okay on this board for some people to be complete arschlochs, and to call them out is prohibited.

No wonder there's no new traffic on this board. Half the posters are a beating and allowed to be jerks.

TxFrog1999

I guess it's okay on this board for some people to be complete arschlochs, and to call them out is prohibited.

No wonder there's no new traffic on this board. Half the posters are a beating and allowed to be jerks.
You can be a complete arschloch too, just don’t try to circumvent the filters while calling them out.

I’ve been pretty adamant that in the past under Scott the ban hammer came down too quickly and we didn’t allow people to vent when needed. Now that we’re letting people vent we have a whole group that want the censors to step back in and make like everything is rainbows and lollipops and sunshine and unicorns.

I’d rather let people say what they’re feeling, especially after seasons like this one, but the mods know posts still have to follow the rules. No one is going to be kicked for venting, but posts that are over the top in violation of rules will be pulled and warning points awarded. The only person who was given a time out repeatedly violated that policy on purpose.

In short, we all love this school and its teams, so let’s keep that in mind while treating everyone as adults.

LisaLT

We scored points. Our offense wasn’t always perfect, but they were dealing with a new OC, new QB, and losing several NFL caliber starters. The offense wasn’t the problem and even suggesting KB needs to go is ignorant after one year.

The problem rests with the defense or the lack thereof. Literally how many points would our offense need to score to overcome the week in and week out barrage of points being scored by opponents? Being in a shootout each week is not good.

How can this last game not be the last game with JG as DC? Certainly makes it really hard to recruit top talent on that side of the ball if he stays.

Endless Purple

You can be a complete arschloch too, just don’t try to circumvent the filters while calling them out.

I’ve been pretty adamant that in the past under Scott the ban hammer came down too quickly and we didn’t allow people to vent when needed. Now that we’re letting people vent we have a whole group that want the censors to step back in and make like everything is rainbows and lollipops and sunshine and unicorns.

I’d rather let people say what they’re feeling, especially after seasons like this one, but the mods know posts still have to follow the rules. No one is going to be kicked for venting, but posts that are over the top in violation of rules will be pulled and warning points awarded. The only person who was given a time out repeatedly violated that policy on purpose.

In short, we all love this school and its teams, so let’s keep that in mind while treating everyone as adults.
And the first sentence is why I post more now on other schools boards than here. As this forum is a business, that should be of concern if there are more than me in this category.

Don't need sunshine and unicorns, just the ability to make football comments without being attacked by other posters because they disagree (or in one case "already talked football" in another thread)

That last phrase here "treating everyone as adults" is lacking in many cases. Stressful times tend to push that boundary.

Toad Jones

TCU has done a lot of damage over the years to the faith and support of our small fan base and now we’re a year removed from making it to the top of the mountain only to see all goodwill and momentum destroyed. Dykes needs to right the ship fast, and while agree with you that announcing firings in a post game conference at the end of the season is a bad look he does need to make changes quickly as the portal doesn’t wait for anyone and we need moves fast.
You've got my ear on this! I cannot see any advantage to prolong, any decision, good or bad!. On all points you make TXF, the damage has been done, why make the negativity worse? Get on with it and attempt to lessen the media cherry on top of a bad-tasting sundae!

Dr. Coach Haus

Not a fan of the hire but I agree. And if he does get better line play and wr/qb play, then I hope he returns more to the Baylor offenses his dad ran.
I am not sure that he will. Did not do that well as Arky and Florida St.. Both fan bases were so glad to see him go.
If they want to run the same offense they did at BayLOL they need to stop subbing so much that allows the tempo to stop with equal sub. No offense will be the same with the sub rules the way they are.

Toad Jones

And the first sentence is why I post more now on other schools boards than here. As this forum is a business, that should be of concern if there are more than me in this category.

Don't need sunshine and unicorns, just the ability to make football comments without being attacked by other posters because they disagree (or in one case "already talked football" in another thread)

That last phrase here "treating everyone as adults" is lacking in many cases. Stressful times tend to push that boundary.
Yes, some of these guys on here find negativity easy, too easy. And yes, again on your stressful time's statement. It's not a happy America right now, and it could get worse, God forbid!

Dr. Coach Haus

Go away
Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Chongo94

I am not sure that he will. Did not do that well as Arky and Florida St.. Both fan bases were so glad to see him go.
If they want to run the same offense they did at BayLOL they need to stop subbing so much that allows the tempo to stop with equal sub. No offense will be the same with the sub rules the way they are.
That’s kind of my point, sadly. The offenses they ran during his father’s tenure seemed far more effective than whatever he has run at his individual stops and they were far far and away more successful in the red zone too.

TxFrog1999

Understood, and points taken.

FrogBall09

If a new OC deserves a few years to prove himself why doesn’t Briles?
Guessing you missed that is what I said, that he will get a few more years - but none of them deserve any of it

The day you ask for millions on salary is the day you need to deliver day 1

Dykes might be able to ride out this crap show becasie of last year - not sure why when it’s obvious anyone that actually had an impact last year is gone - but our OC wasn’t here and our DC was a problem not a solution even last year

I am sure two weak ass back door closures against Texas and OU and killing Sux2BU - even though they are bottom 5 P5 - will be used to buy baby Briles another year

This is exactly how programs fall into the pit - one excuse a year so we die by 1000 cuts - we saw it with GP and now will repeat it

82 Frog Fever

Correct. I had no problem with Sonny until he decided to bring in the Whelp. He knew, as did our entire Athletics Department staff, all the way down to the janitors, that such a choice would enrage and alienate a significant portion of the TCU Fanbase. But, they did it anyway. "Screw you!" they said.

One would think that such a choice, given the strong negative emotions, would have to be literally transcendent to balance out the anger and disgust. The far and away best possible pick for the job...

5-7.

Fluff that Briles pick all you want to, he didn't do anything special and quite a few things badly. Much of our success came in spite of him, yet, here we are. Those of us who hated the hire, still hate the hire. Possibly even more so now. Our opinion of the Staff in general has plummeted, after getting pantsed by a mouthy clown in Week 1 all the way through the failures and blunders that led us to this endpoint of a lost season. No Bowl. Nothing except backbiting, finger pointing, and a mass exodus to the Portal. Total and complete failure.

All of that goodwill from last season burned up. And for what? A mediocre OC who can't seem to score points? I know that some aren't exactly enthusiastic about him, but are willing to put up with more simply out of deference to Sonny and the possibility that Briles might not actually suck, and just needs another year to develop. That's fine. We are where we are. I can't imagine Sonny picking anybody who isn't an "old buddy" or the child of one, which makes for a small and uninspiring pool of potential candidates. God only knows what he will pick for DC. Maybe Briles has a daughter with a defensive bent...

As for the "If you don't like him, leave!" folks, well, many have. You got your wish. I suppose it never occurred to you that running off people who are long-time supporters isn't a terribly good idea, and is especially bad when it looks like a few dry seasons are on the way. Like the +4 debacle, a number of formerly stalwart supporters have simply thrown up their hands and walked away. TCU, in case you forgot, is not blessed with 500,000 living Alumni and a host of T-Shirt fans. We have a small, but dedicated fanbase, and driving away even a small portion of them is unwise. But, that's your choice.

An old friend asked me, concerning the Briles hire, "Has TCU lost it's way?" Yes. Yes it has. While I realize the TCU of today is a far cry from the TCU of 40+ years ago, there are moments which shock you into the realization that it truly isn't at all. That those old standards and principles are as dead as Caesar.

TCU doesn't care. They've gone full Atlantic City, and if we have a problem, well, there's the door.

So noted.
That’s a really tired and inaccurate view.
Briles ran an offense that consisted of a very inadequate OL, one real RB, a fragile broken starter at QB for half the season, & last year’s 4th stringer for the other half.
He turned that into the 13th ranked offense in terms of yards gained.

Even Hoover gives Briles a lot of credit for his success.

Considering what he had to work with, Briles has done a very commendable job.

FrogBall09

So are you saying the HC should be fired?
Yes
Said it at the beginning of the year when I was told what he has said to several potential QB transfers and when he told VBo that people will shut up about Briles once we start winning

Last year was a fluke ala Switzer with the Cowboys

7-5, 8-4 will be the high mark not the standard just as has been his entire careee except for 2 seasons

Frog-in-law1995

That’s a really tired and inaccurate view.
Briles ran an offense that consisted of a very inadequate OL, one real RB, a fragile broken starter at QB for half the season, & last year’s 4th stringer for the other half.
He turned that into the 13th ranked offense in terms of yards gained.

Even Hoover gives Briles a lot of credit for his success.

Considering what he had to work with, Briles has done a very commendable job.
Yep. Really tired, and really inaccurate. If the Briles haters would just be honest about the fact that they want him gone just because of the Baylor stuff, that would be fine. But the complete and utter BS that he isn’t a good OC is beyond tiresome.

fanatical frog

Don't forget we have an ignore button.

Correct. I had no problem with Sonny until he decided to bring in the Whelp. He knew, as did our entire Athletics Department staff, all the way down to the janitors, that such a choice would enrage and alienate a significant portion of the TCU Fanbase. But, they did it anyway. "Screw you!" they said.

One would think that such a choice, given the strong negative emotions, would have to be literally transcendent to balance out the anger and disgust. The far and away best possible pick for the job...

5-7.

Fluff that Briles pick all you want to, he didn't do anything special and quite a few things badly. Much of our success came in spite of him, yet, here we are. Those of us who hated the hire, still hate the hire. Possibly even more so now. Our opinion of the Staff in general has plummeted, after getting pantsed by a mouthy clown in Week 1 all the way through the failures and blunders that led us to this endpoint of a lost season. No Bowl. Nothing except backbiting, finger pointing, and a mass exodus to the Portal. Total and complete failure.

All of that goodwill from last season burned up. And for what? A mediocre OC who can't seem to score points? I know that some aren't exactly enthusiastic about him, but are willing to put up with more simply out of deference to Sonny and the possibility that Briles might not actually suck, and just needs another year to develop. That's fine. We are where we are. I can't imagine Sonny picking anybody who isn't an "old buddy" or the child of one, which makes for a small and uninspiring pool of potential candidates. God only knows what he will pick for DC. Maybe Briles has a daughter with a defensive bent...

As for the "If you don't like him, leave!" folks, well, many have. You got your wish. I suppose it never occurred to you that running off people who are long-time supporters isn't a terribly good idea, and is especially bad when it looks like a few dry seasons are on the way. Like the +4 debacle, a number of formerly stalwart supporters have simply thrown up their hands and walked away. TCU, in case you forgot, is not blessed with 500,000 living Alumni and a host of T-Shirt fans. We have a small, but dedicated fanbase, and driving away even a small portion of them is unwise. But, that's your choice.

An old friend asked me, concerning the Briles hire, "Has TCU lost it's way?" Yes. Yes it has. While I realize the TCU of today is a far cry from the TCU of 40+ years ago, there are moments which shock you into the realization that it truly isn't at all. That those old standards and principles are as dead as Caesar.

TCU doesn't care. They've gone full Atlantic City, and if we have a problem, well, there's the door.

So noted.
Brewing, I applaud you here for well-crafted good reasoning as to a position that holds water for TCU’s interest instead of just disdain for Briles - pertinent content here attached to the complaint, that is well written. This should have been posted earlier or maybe it has and I have missed it.

People tire of all the continued complaining about Briles with nothing new articulated, so why continue on that track, it appears childish - hollow with no self control.

@tyler durden - durden, you sound like you are off your rocker with distress. Maybe find a way to offer up some interesting architecture thought instead - I like that.