• The KillerFrogs

Coach Dykes' Post Game Comments RE: Coordinators

Sonny Side Up

A good portion of the 2nd half was garbage time for OU. They weren‘t playing with 1/2 the intensity that they had in the 1st half. It looked like OU was able to flip the switch off & on at will against TCU.
It’s not a good measuring stick for anything.

Briles had serious talent & depth issues at OL, QB, & RB that greatly limited what the offense could do.
He was unable to mitigate most of these issues, as we were in the CFP and not able to focus on the portal. I credit Briles with at least trying different wrinkles to make it work better.

Gillespie also had big talent issues at DL and he didn’t really have LBers that had the ability to move to the front line and stunt rush with the DL. He said he made changes, but I really didn’t see them much.
I just don’t think Gillespie has the ability to get the players he needs to properly execute a 3 man front, and he also doesn’t have the experience/knowledge to run anything else.
Gillespie needs to be moved out.
On that note, my OU son (who understands football as an overachieving offensive lineman) commented that the Frogs looked they were in a base defense the entire game. No looks, no attempts to confuse. He also stated the obvious, that the lack of pressure means four or five guys have to cover for over five seconds. Won’t happen.

Chongo94

Briles has had one year with a bad line, inconsistent WR play, and a change at QB to a Freshman. In the end TCU put up more points on OU than anyone else this season, and outside of a few misfires at KState and ISU I think they're on the right track. I'm willing to give Briles one more year, even though I was not happy with his initial hire.
Not a fan of the hire but I agree. And if he does get better line play and wr/qb play, then I hope he returns more to the Baylor offenses his dad ran.

Last edited:

PurpleSouthpaw

If Briles and Gillespie were allowed on the team plane, Sonny lost an opportunity to begin mending fences in FW.
We get it, you don’t like Briles. He is staying for another year and the consensus among this forum and Horned Frog Blitz is that he gets another year. Based on Dykes’ post game interview, his job is not in jeopardy. You are in the minority, so give it up. Most people don’t feel the way you do.

Strong consensus overall and some of Dykes’s comments allude to Gillespie needing to go.

PurpleSouthpaw

If a new OC deserves a few years to prove himself why doesn’t Briles?
He absolutely should, it’s just people grasping for anything because they didn’t like the hire to begin with. Our total offense this year will end something like top 20 with a new OC and new players.

Meanwhile our returning DC with a fair amount of returning starters will have the 90th of 133 in total defense. Take a wild guess where the problem is.

And it doesn’t take 3-4 years every single switch, that is a gross exaggeration. [ What the heck? ] was last year then? Some people have the most negative outlook after a bad season after the best season we have had in a long time. Bunch of Pollyanna’s.

KBA

So 2 more years of crap OC before getting a new one that will deserve a few years to prove himself , a new DC next year possibly that needs 3 yrs to prove out - basically 3-4 more years of losing football before we realize our HC is the issue?
Correct...
He absolutely should, it’s just people grasping for anything because they didn’t like the hire to begin with. Our total offense this year will end something like top 20 with a new OC and new players.

Meanwhile our returning DC with a fair amount of returning starters will have the 90th of 133 in total defense. Take a wild guess where the problem is.

And it doesn’t take 3-4 years every single switch, that is a gross exaggeration. [ What the heck? ] was last year then? Some people have the most negative outlook after a bad season after the best season we have had in a long time. Bunch of Pollyanna’s.
Tulane has put together back to back

Planks

Agreed. It’s more than reasonable to want JG fired based upon the results we’ve gotten on the field. However the fans who want SD or KB gone are fans who never wanted them hired in the first place.

Wexahu

Agreed. It’s more than reasonable to want JG fired based upon the results we’ve gotten on the field. However the fans who want SD or KB gone are fans who never wanted them hired in the first place.
Sonny is now 18-9 as TCU’s head coach. This might be a decent time to remind some that if he goes 3-13 over his next 16 games he’ll match GP’s record over the last 4 years of his tenure.

We need that winning guy back here!

Dykes thought Andy Buh was the best DC hire in the country.
Until the team he was coaching finished dead last in the country in Defense!!!

I'm not sure Sonny knows anything about DEFENSE

If Gillespie is indeed fired, Dykes will be on his four DC over a seven year period at the P5 level.

Everyone one of them he hired, than had to turn around and fire them.

He went through two DC’s at Cal.

Planks

So 2 more years of crap OC before getting a new one that will deserve a few years to prove himself , a new DC next year possibly that needs 3 yrs to prove out - basically 3-4 more years of losing football before we realize our HC is the issue?

So are you saying the HC should be fired?